PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change

mossimo817
05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Hey guys...I need to change the transmission fluid in my 1988 Accord. Can someone give me some detailed instructions how to change it and what type of transmission fluid and filter I need. Thanks!

Mike

FyreDaug
05-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Auto or standard? If its standard. 5w30 motor oil works good. Id suggest to add some lucas oil stabilizer... I live by this stuff... Filter?

sunderland
05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey guys...I need to change the transmission fluid in my 1988 Accord. Can someone give me some detailed instructions how to change it and what type of transmission fluid and filter I need. Thanks!

Mike
Mike,
I learned, on this website, that if you have an auto trans, use Honda fluid. For some reason, the trans will work better than using ordinary Dexron. Takes a 1/2 inch wratchet to take out the plug and a long funnel to replace the fluid. You'll need about 2.5 qts.

mossimo817
05-10-2006, 09:51 AM
It's an automatic...so there's a plug for the transmission fluid? So I don't need a tranmission filter? I thought the transmission had a pan with a filter in it. Where's the plug located for the transmission fluid? Is it next to the oil pan?

Fyredaug
I'm not sure what you mean by using 5w30

sunderland
05-10-2006, 10:55 AM
It's an automatic...so there's a plug for the transmission fluid? So I don't need a tranmission filter? I thought the transmission had a pan with a filter in it. Where's the plug located for the transmission fluid? Is it next to the oil pan?

Fyredaug
I'm not sure what you mean by using 5w30
There's no transmission filter to change. The plug is located opposite the front right wheel. The 5w30 oil recommendation is for manual transmissions.

Accordaone
05-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I am not an expert, but just draining and refilling the auto tranny will only change a small proportion of the fluid.(torque converter, etc. contains the rest). The service manual calls for draining and filling 5 times-running, shifting in between. As for Honda fluid, I have the original Honda operator's manual, which calls for Dexron II. The dipstick says Dexron right on it. Me thinks using more expensive "Honda" fluid is a sales gimmick.(or were they wrong when they built the car?-or developed some magical additive none of the fluid makers are aware of?)

mossimo817
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
So is it worth it to change the fluid by draining it from the plug? If so, what type of fluid should I use since it's an automatic? Dexron II? I know this car has not had it changed in a while since I got it (at least 4 years). I'm trying to make it last especially with these gas prices...Thanks!

Mike

Accordaone
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I honestly don't know. I needed a rebuild at 155k, using Dexron, but there was a cracked clutch drum. Honda fluid may be better, but I would seriously doubt it. If your's is still reddish color and not burnt, maybe drain your two quarts and replace them. Lots of luck.

Kabuki
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, Honda fluid makes a huge difference in the performance of the Honda Automatic transmissions. It also protects them better than dexron/mercon crap. Yeah, it's expensive ($5.25/qt), but it's worth it. Honda automatic transmissions are a very different design than most other manufacturers, including domestic American cars, thus the need for specific fluid. There is no filter to be replaced, that's part of why the fluid should be drained and refilled every 15,000 miles. The drain plug uses a 3/8" square drive (ratchet or breaker bar), and the aluminum gasket (part #94109-14000, a 14mm ID aluminum washer) should be replaced every time the plug is removed. I checked the manual to be sure, but neither the Owner's manual, nor the factory service manual state that anything OTHER than draining and refilling the fluid ONCE EVERY 15,000 miles should be done. If it is particularly dark, then yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, run it, and then change it again. Otherwise, just do it once.

AccordEpicenter
05-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda ATF Z1 fluid is friction modified and has addatives to it, and i would strongly suggest using it vs dexron, even though you can use dexron and it wont hurt it, but they tend to shift hard. There are about 7-8 qts of ATF in the tranny total but draining it using the drain plug changes 2-2.5 of it at a time, might not be enough, you might have to change it, drive the car a little bit, then change it again, maybe 2-3 total changes to dilute the bad/old atf in it. The only other way to get all the ATF out is to dissasemble the tranny i think...

Accordaone
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
The Honda 1987 Service Manual, Fourth Print 11/88 by Honda Motor Company, section 15, page 13 flushing procedure:(repeat 3 times, not 5, sorry) 1.Drain the trans. 2.Refill with 3 quarts of Dexron:recommended type of ATF. 3. Start engine and shift trans. to D4. 4. Let trans. shift through gears at least 5 times. 5. Shift to reverse and neutral at least 5 times. 6. Drain and refill. So the owner's manual and Service manual both recommend Dexron. Hmmmm. Of course, I don't work for Honda and am not selling anything. If you can't trust their official manuals, who can you trust? Maybe their newer trannies require "special" fluid, I don't know.

speedpenguin
05-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the manuals and cars were made before Honda had their own tranny fluid. That's probably why they don't say anything about it.

HostileJava
05-12-2006, 04:47 AM
The easiest thing to do is probably change it 3 times over the course of 3 days. Just drain it once at night and fill it back up. Drive it like you normally would the next day, then that night drain and refill again. Same thing on the third night. I've taken to just draining and filling the tranny on my van every time I change the oil. I don't go through 3 changes, but I change it every 3k-6k and yes I use honda tranny fluid.

FyreDaug
05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Holy shit that must get expensive Hostile, dont you only have to change it ever 50k miles or something? I havent owned an auto before, but manuals can last a while... its not like the oil really breaks down in there

HostileJava
05-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Holy shit that must get expensive Hostile, dont you only have to change it ever 50k miles or something? I havent owned an auto before, but manuals can last a while... its not like the oil really breaks down in there

It's not as bad as it sounds, not all the oil drains out of the auto when you drain it. Besides these tranny's are known for not lasting much past 150k and I"m approaching that rapidly. Besides it's not that big a deal to drain it along with the oil while your down there.

Kabuki
05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
No, after they created their on fluid, they recommended using it in all of their auto transmissions. That went for all of the unit produced prior to creation of ATF-Z1. You may not believe us, but it really does operate better, and last longer if you change the fluid every 15,000 miles and use Honda ATF. Yes, I do sell the fluid, but I'm sure as hell not going to ship it somewhere. No, I don't work for a Honda dealer, I work for an independent shop, where we repair only Honda and Acura vehicles. And have been doing so for twenty years.

Accordaone
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda ATF was created by Idemitzu of Japan and their American subsidiary, Apollo American, for the CVT transmission. Honda adopted it for their other trannies and buys it from Apollo. There is no denying it shifts better than Dexron because of the added frictionizers, etc. but isn't that how Lucas, etc. works?
All I am trying to say is that it probably won't make your tranny last longer-maybe keep the slippage down longer, as most additives would. They made a great automobile, which, in my opinion, is slipping nowadays,i.e. the tranny problems a few years ago blamed on "polluted ATF at the factory". If you don't think some of the overpriced Honda fluids-ATF,coolant, oil, etc. is not just to make money, you are naive, in my opinion. The 3Geez is still King! By the way, our local Honda dealer won't work on older Hondas any longer, so you probably have a bright future, Kabuki. (love your dances, by the way)

Kabuki
05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, our local dealer looks at carbs and laughs. Then they come over to us and get tuned right instead of replaced like everyone else does. You know, though, that our ATF drum says Mobil on it?