PDA

View Full Version : Little Experiment (check it out)THE CONCLUSION

detroit313
05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
just a follow up to my post last week and about increasing MPG using synthetic oil and higher octane gas like some claim.(and some oil companies claim)
i usually drive 410-420 miles a full tank in my '88 lx-i. with regualr "dino" oil as some call it and regualar gas(87 octane).
i did my oil change with 100% synthetic and premium gas this time around.
i didnt get any difference in my MPG average and i drive ALL feeway 30 miles each was for a toal of 60 miles a day.
so with that i dont see any benefits in saving $$ on gas using synthetic oil and higher octane gas. might be a waste of money. it was fun to do i guess!
but i guess synthetic oil is better for your engine,right?

Kabuki
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Er... Not really. If you really want to try getting better fuel economy, try this: Go back to just regular unleaded gasoline. Then add 3 fluid ounces of Acetone (must be pure, like you buy in the squarish can from a paint supply, or hardware store) per 10 gallons of fuel. The actual measure ment will need to be customized to your engine, and may be slightly less or slightly more, and will likely very a bit with different fuel suppliers.
I've tried it, and it works. Basically, the structure of the acetone molecule allows it to be quite volatile, and thus atomize very easily. When added to another hydrocarbon fuel, this trait is carried over to the whole mixture, and aids in the atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber. I have no carbed cars, otherwise I'd try it in one, but I suspect that it would be even MORE beneficial than in fuel injected rigs... Just be careful not to get any acetone on your paint!

Oldblueaccord
05-10-2006, 04:15 PM
well sounds like a cool experiment. Glad you tired it out.

As far as the acetone i too have found good results. I did find it worked better on a carbed car,an old dodge, than my FI accord but it does give me about 2 mpg better city driving.

wp

w261w261
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Acetone is *really* volatile. I knew that, but I also needed to get my charcoal started some years ago, and I had run out of starter. I looked at the can of acetone, I looked at the coals, I thought WTF, let's give it a shot. Poured a BIG shot of acetone on the coals, stood back and tossed a match into the Weber.

There was no visible explosion, but there was a big invisible fireball. No flame you could see, but a huge amount of heat, enough that I thought I had my eyebrows burned off. The coals of course just sat through it all, the acetone had vaporized so quickly that nothing happened to them...it all almost happened to me.

That was one experiment that no one should repeat.

Vanilla Sky
05-10-2006, 05:07 PM
there's less energy in higher octane fuel. try again with lower octane fuel.

as i've said before, i got about a 5% increase in my truck with a well worn engine, and my mom got nearly 10% with her brand new engine in her new accord.

speedpenguin
05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I dunno about the acetone, but you'll get the best mileage and performance with the manufacterer recommended octane, provided your engine's in good shape.

Strugglebucket
05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
when i started using royal purple my gas mileage went up, but it may have been more due to me switching from 20w50 to 10w40.

smufguy
05-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Edit

89se-i
05-20-2006, 10:52 AM
anyone know how acetone reacts with the injector seals?

Kabuki
05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Haven't had any problems so far. I suppose I could take a couple seals and just soak them in acetone.

AccordEpicenter
05-20-2006, 12:55 PM
i would see what it does to hard plastics and o rings... it might melt them.

Beaver
05-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Hmm... so this stuff is safe to use in your engine? I would definately use this in my LX but I worry about seals and stuff.

jaiden
05-21-2006, 06:46 PM
I have heard this acetone thing before, and though I'm no expert, I'll repeat what I've heard: It changes what the O2 sensor picks up, to think it's running rich. the car leans out to compensate.
Maybe someone who knows more than I do can correct (or confirm) what I've said

Kabuki
05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
It WOULD make the engine run lean, if you were using large quantities, just like alcohol. But we're talking 3oz per 10 gallons. Very small amounts, really... I forgot to setup the experiment, but I will soon. One thing we should remember, though is that MOST formulations of carb/FI spray cleaner has acetone in it. Some mixes are pretty heavy on it.

smufguy
05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
From a chemical point of view it is an Alky CH3COCH3. Using a proper percentage of the Acetone which is 0.121% to your total tank capacity might increase fuel economy to 4.5% over what you get now. Do know that this is a solvant, which means, it can dissolve in water and also it can be used to dissolve other substances. Even tho it eats away plastic, its also used to make plastic and certain synthatic fibers. Acetone is a natrual product derived from plants and breaks down in atmosphere in a priod of 22 days. Due to its corrosive nature, I would suggest a limited usage of this product on our cars, since it may/might corrode the inner lining in our gas tanks, just like Methanol would.

A seperate holding tank and injector could be used to mix this extremely volatile liquid with fuel and then be injected thru the regular nozzle since the lubricants in the fuel will help to lubricate the injectors. This is far fetched and runs along the same line of Alcohol injection, but as far as its Btu in power production compared to gasoline, i am unaware of it.

Vanilla Sky
05-24-2006, 06:07 AM
A seperate holding tank and injector could be used to mix this extremely volatile liquid with fuel and then be injected thru the regular nozzle since the lubricants in the fuel will help to lubricate the injectors. This is far fetched and runs along the same line of Alcohol injection, but as far as its Btu in power production compared to gasoline.

at this point, i'm injecting water or water/alky mix.

Kabuki
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Acetone does have a higher Octane rating, something in the 120 RON, IIRC... But I believe, considering it's oxygenated nature, that there is a little less energy stored in it. I'm kind of considering some water injection at WOT on my 4G... If mostly for knock reduction/protection.

smufguy
05-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Acetone does have a higher Octane rating, something in the 120 RON, IIRC... But I believe, considering it's oxygenated nature, that there is a little less energy stored in it. I'm kind of considering some water injection at WOT on my 4G... If mostly for knock reduction/protection.

also due to their ability to absorb heat fast (being extremely volatile), they also drop ur Intake Air Temperature. Which is the main reason i wanna run methanol, drop my air temp as much as possible, rather than just crankin up the boost.