PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Sputtering/Stalling

mikeyp6
05-10-2006, 08:36 PM
My '82 Accord has begun to have a strange problem. I picked the car up last year with 51k original miles on it. Aside from replacing the thermostat, the car has ran flawless until recently. When come to a stop at red lights, the car sputters and struggles to idle at 500 rpm, however, this only happens after the car has been drivin a few miles. It idles fine at about 800 rpm for the first few minutes, but after that, it idles really low, on the verge of stalling. Also, it occasionaly stalls going around right hand corners :huh: ? One last thing, at a stop light, I can smell exahust that seems to come from under the hood. This has led me to believe egr valve, but i have not had time to probe. All stock under the hood with a AT.

denhonda
05-11-2006, 10:34 AM
In need of a service? Has the fuel filter been replaced recently? Dirt in the tank? Rubber fuel lines collapsing internally? Carb jet blocked - Can you keep the car running with a little choke? Check all the simple stuff first cos as you'll know, there isn't much to go wrong with these models.

mikeyp6
05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
In need of a service? Has the fuel filter been replaced recently? Dirt in the tank? Rubber fuel lines collapsing internally? Carb jet blocked - Can you keep the car running with a little choke? Check all the simple stuff first cos as you'll know, there isn't much to go wrong with these models.
Fule filter has been replaced, no dirt in tank. Fuel lines look fine. the carb is clean.

ghettogeddy
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
sounds like the carb might need to be adjusted my 88 lx does the same thing

offthahook
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Idle adjustment.

mikeyp6
05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Thats what I was thinking, except for the fact that the idle only goes too low after the engine has come up to operating temperature.

2ndGenGuy
05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Your idle is probably set way too low. It should be running HIGH when the engine is cold, and when it gets warmed up drops down to normal. Right now it sounds like its running too low for cold and it kicks down even lower when warmed up. Just turn up the idle knob. And let us know how that goes.

mikeyp6
05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Sure thing. I got a repair guide for the car, but it is a little unclear about the location of the idle screw.

offthahook
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
At the backside of the carb. It's a black thumbscrew as I recall. Tighten it up to increase idle/let in more gas. Make sure the spring tension is tight as well. In gear, with lights on, you should be about 800RPM.

2ndGenGuy
05-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah, its a BIG black plastic knob tucked in behind the carb. Its the only one like it on the carb. Its kinda tucked underneath behind some vacuum hoses. It points directly towards the firewall.

mikeyp6
05-18-2006, 09:18 PM
fixed the idle today, and now she purrs like a kitten at idle. However, start up has become a wee bit hairy. I now need to press the throttle in about 1/3 of the way, and hold it there while i crank to get it to start :wtf:

2ndGenGuy
05-18-2006, 10:29 PM
fixed the idle today, and now she purrs like a kitten at idle. However, start up has become a wee bit hairy. I now need to press the throttle in about 1/3 of the way, and hold it there while i crank to get it to start :wtf:

Thats pretty normal for an old carbuerated car. I usually have to give my gas pedal 3 quick pumps before I start it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you've REALLY gotta gas it.