PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Overhaul

djcslice
05-10-2006, 08:51 PM
My tranny needs to be fixed up. It definately needs a new clutch. I am wondering what clutch kit is the best bang for the buck? Someone a while ago talked about a clutch kit from autozone that included a new flywheel. I am also wondering about a rebuild kit, does anyone offer them? for a reasonable price?

speedpenguin
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
You can get a Daikin/Exedy off Ebay for like $120 including shipping. Mine's working fine. I don't know what AutoZone sells.
What's wrong with your transmission that needs rebuilding?

sjsjbb
05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
i bought auto zone and replaced it 4 times in 3 months time. its lifetime. wouldnt recomend it . finally did get one that works ok.

djcslice
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
my transmission was bogging down in a weird way, It may just be the clutch, but i was thinking since i am going to spend all the time tearing out my tranny, might as well replace the oil, filter, and any other stuff. Its a 19 year old car, with 170,000 miles. Its taken quite a beating, been in multiple countries. I will replace the clutch, and possibly the flywheel, hopefully thats all i needs. I figured, if a rebuild kit was a pretty good price, that it might just be worth it to rebuild.

speedpenguin
05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
The Daikin kit comes with a flywheel, and yes, if it's been that long I would replace both.
Any older tranny can benefit from a rebuild, but if you're planning any transmission mods later on, I'd wait until then.

djcslice
05-11-2006, 12:26 PM
nope, no mods. I like her the way she is, except some more HP would be nice. Anyways do you have a link for the daikin kit. Its not the first time the clutch has been replaced, i am sure. Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or how much one would cost?

w261w261
05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
when i put in (or had put in) a new clutch a couple of years ago, i had the mechanic also change the rear main engine seal, even though it wasn't leaking. there were about 120k on the car so i figured it would be a good thing to do.

the mechanic put in an aftermarket seal, and it leaked. he had to drop the tranny to change it, and *again* he put in an aftermarket seal. it still leaked. i didn't know he wasn't using honda parts, and when i made him drop the tranny again, i asked, and when i found out, told him he should use original honda. he did, and the leaks stopped.

i don't know whether to advise you not to mess with the seal if it isn't leaking, or to change it just in case. but definitely, if you do, use a honda-brand replacement!

djcslice
05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks for the tips. Since i have to pull the tranny, and the engine mounts are going. I think i will probably pull the front clip, give her an inspection, clean the engine and tranny up, the whole kit'n'kaboodle. Then it will be easy for me to update many things including the oil pan seal, timing belt, etc.

do you have a link for the daikin kit? Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or how much one would cost?
??

speedpenguin
05-12-2006, 02:08 AM
nope, no mods. I like her the way she is, except some more HP would be nice. Anyways do you have a link for the daikin kit. Its not the first time the clutch has been replaced, i am sure. Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit or how much one would cost?
No link. Just search eBay. They're all over the place.
Search for Accord 86, 87, 88, 89
That should do it. You could add the word clutch to the end as well.