PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to fix dash cracks?

Hazwan
05-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Replacing with new one is out of question. I CAN'T find any dashboard that isn't cracking in my area. Every junkyard I go all with cracked dash. I guess hot weather is what caused them here. I didn't try finding in other places yet.

Dashcap or whatever it is called is not an option. I can't find them here.
Theres a shop that can reupholster the dash, but they want way too much $$$ for it.

Anyway that I can do it myself? I'm cheap I know:D fiberglass or something?

Look at how bad it is :( not to mention faded colour..

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6223/img027a9mh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1GEN
05-13-2006, 12:49 PM
This place maybe? Site looks a little hokey though.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Cover/Honda/

Best option I could find... Good Luck!

sinisterfuzzy
05-13-2006, 01:14 PM
i think jcwhitney has dash covers

EricW
05-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Heres a better link for the site 1GEN posted http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Cover/Honda/Civic/1AIDC00141/66247

But too bad they don't ship out of the US. Not a bad price either.

Hazwan
05-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I would get them.. even if they did ship outside US, mine is RHD :p

EricW
05-13-2006, 07:20 PM
mine is RHD :p

I guess i forgot about that.:slap:

You may just have to buy a repair kit like the one avaible at jcwhitney and then repaint the whole thing to make it one solid color.

Whistler225
05-14-2006, 04:51 AM
I was going to suggest a repair kit.....luckily your cracks aren't very wide. You should be able to fill them and then repaint/dye your dash (I've heard dye is better, actually seeps into the dash and stays better)

sinisterfuzzy
05-14-2006, 06:37 AM
i used a spraycan 'dye' (black) from a paintshop around here it me like $12 a can but it worked beautifully, i used it on my dash and my door (vinyl and carpet part) it works great make sure you find the good stuff though...

HostileJava
06-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I was going to suggest a repair kit.....luckily your cracks aren't very wide. You should be able to fill them and then repaint/dye your dash (I've heard dye is better, actually seeps into the dash and stays better)

The vinyl die is much better, it chemically bonds with the vinyl so that it won't just scratch off.

Hazwan
06-08-2006, 01:21 AM
doesn't matter anymore, got a 'new' one already :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ullyeus/accord/dashboard/DSC06396.jpg

speedpenguin
06-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Hey, that looks nice!

Hazwan
06-09-2006, 03:58 AM
great! just fucking great!

I've got everything installed 2 days ago, and guess what??

The new dash started cracking again!#^%$!*&#

I am soooo pissed right now :( I spent the whole day removing the old dash and reinstall the new one, and its cracking after 2 days?!

How does the repair kits look like? I mean is that something that I can use something else to fill the cracks? Getting something like that here in my country is nearly impossible and living in a small city doesn't help either!

2ndGenGuy
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Bummer man, it was looking so good. Why did it crack so soon? Is it hot as hell there or what?

speedpenguin
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Whatcha gonna do now?

Hazwan
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm guessing that the dash is waiting to crack anytime, plus the weather is hot as hell here :D

Some pics of the cracks. This is in the middle near the center a/c vent. It cracks all the way to the bottom
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2298/dsc065635eb.th.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc065635eb.jpg)

Temp fix - I installed a handphone holder to cover the nasty huge crack
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8310/dsc065685po.th.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc065685po.jpg)

2ndGenGuy
06-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Is there some kind of fiberglass filler you could use? Or something like bondo? Then you could kinda retexture it to match.

Maybe you could just make a whole new dash out of fiberglass. Then you could get some paint and paint the fiberglass dash, then not worry about it cracking again. I hear that fiberglass is pretty easy to do. Going to get into it myself this summer to build a center console for my car.

Of course, I guess you'd have to have a HUGE mold to mold a whole dash. Anybody where you live that will build custom fiberglass stuff?

frantik
06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
do you use a "sunshade" or anything to block the sun from beating down on your dash? even a cheap cardboard one would help a lot. and/or leaving you windows cracked. temps can get rediculous inside a closed car

bluefrog
12-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Im having the same problem with hazwan. my dash also cracking like sh*t but i just ignore it. ~!@#$%^&*()!!!!!:crying:

eduardo i.
01-01-2011, 04:25 AM
This thread is really old. He ended up fiberglassing and then throwing some kind of truck bedliner over it, here is a link, hope it helps:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2559394/1981-honda-accord/page-11

1GCustomAccord
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Easy 3 step dash fix:

Elements needed:

Caulking compound- Cutter-Masking tape-Vinyl paint.

Step 1: Use those words in Google. :search:
Step 2: Find the page explaining the process.
Step 3: Fix the dash.

I am too lazy to explain the fix right now. :sad2:

charliekuney
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
^

wtf

:slap:

1GCustomAccord
03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok..ok, here we go:

You need to: Stabilize the cracks(s) to prevent them to get bigger-Fill the crack(s)-Level the surface-Retexture-Match the color. All that to fix the dash.

1-First to stabilize the crack you can use super glue (or CA glue) and a flat metal tool about 2-3 inches wide to press the rised edges of the vinyl. Soak the crack with the glue and press and rub with the metal piece, dont stop moving it or the metal will get glued to the dash. Press it and keep moving to push down the edges of the crack that are usually rised. In about 5 seconds (or less) the glue will do its job (be carefull because th fumes are extremely eye irritant, keep the area well ventilated).
If you use too much glue, the glue will take longer to dry.
If the crack is too thin to work with, you can narrow it by cutting it in a "V" shape using a sharp cutting tool, and then performing step 1 Practice on something else ALL the steps to be certain of the proper method to use.

2-Fill the crack, you can use various products:

Caulking compound or baking soda with CA glue or super glue (search cyanoacrylate on wikipedia to know abour the baking soda-CA glue mix) or you can use that poliurethane foam that hardens and is like a sponge, i dont remember its name.
I think that baking soda and CA glue is better, but you can chose any of them.

Now the surface of the crack will still be uneven and rised. Level the surrounding surface of the grack with 150-180 grit sandpaper until is leveled. Once leveled, clean the area and retire all dust from the crack.
Mask the borders of the crack to keep the mess in the smallest posible zone
Fill the crack with the chosen compound and level with a spatula.
After 15 minutes retire the masking and check if the filler is hard enough for sanding.
Use 400 grit sandpaper to resurface the area.

3-To paint the small crack area you need a perfect matching color, but that is impossible with rattle can sprays, so you will need to buy a similar color and paint the whole thing.
But before painting you will need to clean the whole dash with a degreaser and wax-silicone remover, this is very important to be done because you dont want the paint to peel off.
You need to retexture the repaired zone(s) because they will be completely flat (no leather-like texture on resurfaced areas), so you need to use a heavy or dense type of vinyl paint to add some kind of texture, practizing in other surface will give you a clue of the correct way to apply the thing, if you paint closer, the surface will look flatter, more distance will create a more granulated finish, also if the spray valve is pressed lightly, the finnish will be rougher. Then after drying you can sand lightly with 400 grit sandpaper to correct the grain. Once more, the practice is important here for better results.
Also you can make a hole in a cardboard and paint trough the hole sliding the cardboard 1 inch above the crack to keep the painting zone under control.

Next step would be to paint with the vinyl paint and voila! A nice renewed dash, or a complete mess. (It depends completely on your skills)

Good luck! :D

PS: Practice all the steps in something else before messing with your dash and use this advices under your own risk. Also remember that cyanoacrylete fumes are eye irritant and eye or skin contact can cause big troubles (you dont want your eyes shut close with VERY irritant-eye damaging glue)

Hazwan
03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Pretty much like what I've done to mine except for the first step and now the cracks are back. FML D:

Nafs Asdf
03-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Wrap the dash in leather? :D

2ndGenGuy
03-02-2011, 12:52 AM
JDM Carbon Fiber Wrap!!

Or alcantara!

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Question: why wouldn't you just do a one-step with Bondo?

1GCustomAccord
03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Pretty much like what I've done to mine except for the first step and now the cracks are back. FML D:

The most important step to prevent them to reappearing.
Remember: STABILIZE! :rolleyes:

Wrap the dash in leather? :D

You can do that instead of step #3, but that involves some other steps.
The final result would be a lot better than OEM.

JDM Carbon Fiber Wrap!!

Or alcantara!

Alcantara is also an amazing material, nice, durable, flexible, washable, and feels great to touch!

Question: why wouldn't you just do a one-step with Bondo?

Yeah but bondo is too hard and rigid and will crack and fall out from the dash very soon due to contraction.
And you still need to finish! And STABILIZE. :squint:

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah but bondo is too hard and rigid and will crack and fall out from the dash very soon due to contraction.
And you still need to finish! And STABILIZE. :squint:

LOL. Thanks man. I wasn't nitpicking. I've never done it and you have, so I figured you'd know. :rockon: