PDA

View Full Version : remote starter issues

newaccorddriver
05-13-2006, 01:50 PM
i went to a huge car audio sale and i decided it would be nice to buy a remote starter for my accord when its up and running. i bought some polar start one which looked promising enough cause alot of people are picking those up at the sale. i know for a fact that alot of the remote starters are made for either a manual or auto car, and the box i picked up doesnt say(and none of them actually do say anything about it at all). so i bought it and then left.

in my car, i opened up the box only to find out that it was made for an automatic and not standard. my car had a 5 speed swap done to it, so technically i can start it up without the clutch in or anything. im going to be putting a neutral safety switch in my car soon enough, is there any way i can wire up the starter as if it were for a manual car?

to answer alot of questions, i WOULD return the starter, but its a buy it as is kinda sale, so im kinda stuck with it

TJ89Accord
05-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Well most starters are for auto only... There is no way to wire it up so that it will work like a manual car remote starter. But if you hooked up a neutral safety switch some how and hooked that up to one of the shut off wires on the starter (like a hood wire) than that could be safer. Just remember NEVER leave it in gear, or it's gonna go down the street...

you have a link to the install manual, could help better if i saw it.

TheWatcher
05-22-2006, 11:43 AM
i know for a fact that alot of the remote starters are made for either a manual or auto car, and the box i picked up doesnt say(and none of them actually do say anything about it at all).
Actually, the all remote start alarm add-ons that I've seen require automatic transmission AND fuel injection, otherwise I would already have remote start (LX = carb). :lol:

i WOULD return the starter, but its a buy it as is kinda sale, so im kinda stuck with it.

I guess you better sell it on ebay, if you can't return it. :)

Peace.

EricW
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
You can make it work. You just have to remember to leave it in neutral all the time. Just take what ever wire is meant to tell the remote starter that the car is in neutral and connect it to a ground (or 12v according to what the manual says but i would imagine its ground) the safest way would be to use the E-brake ground wire so that it would only start when the brake is pulled. As long as you have your E-brake cables adjusted right hopefully the car wouldn't get very far if you forgot to leave it in neutral.:slap:

Sabz5150
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Personally, I would never put remote start on any manual vehicle. You can tell yourself over and over to never leave it in gear, but there will be a time you will forget. Or worse, you take your car to the shop for whatever reason... they always leave the car in gear. You smack that button and expensive things happen.

As much of a nut as I am about computers, I do not trust automatic things on my car. No cruise control, no power steering. I can move my hands and feet very well and the idea of my car just going by itself scares the bejesus out of me.

HondaBoy
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
ha, yeah i've left my 280Z in 1st sometimes when its on an incline and man when i turn the key to start it moves, a shit load. even on an incline. i was wondering on the carbed engine, wouldnt you sometimes need to pump the gas a bit first? i know most times on my accord i dont have to but if i've left it sitting for a good while it needs a tap on the gas to get it to start up.

TJ89Accord
05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
ha, yeah i've left my 280Z in 1st sometimes when its on an incline and man when i turn the key to start it moves, a shit load. even on an incline. i was wondering on the carbed engine, wouldnt you sometimes need to pump the gas a bit first? i know most times on my accord i dont have to but if i've left it sitting for a good while it needs a tap on the gas to get it to start up.

Yah you need fuel injection for a remote starter too. Or it probably wont start on those cold days or after it's been sitting for a while.

ghettogeddy
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
i was worinking on my boys fox body mustang putting a header wrap on, cause his header burnt thru the clutch cable, and he was down there helping me and his keys were in his pocket, man ill tell u what ive never got out from underneath a car quicker than that, the motor started and it was a stick and it was in gear and on a floor jack that thing moved like 5 feet bent the shit out of my jack to, hecka scury