PDA

View Full Version : Steering squeeks/creaks

FyreDaug
05-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Little bit of a background:
busted driver side lower ball joint recently (<800km ago), and it busted up the axle. So theres a new (used) axle and a new balljoint on the drivers side.

Both sides need upper ball joints. And the axle on the passenger side has a small tear.

I havent replaced the passenger lower ball joint yet and I know I should do it soon (as car approached 195k) but recently I noticed the steering creaks a little. It sounded as though it came from the driver side when I was trying to listen by myself, but it would make more sence of it coming from the right side.

My friends 90 exr accord was creaking very very similar to mine before and I had a listen and it sounded like it was coming from the tie rod end on the driver side... or maybe not from the end, but from further in where the boot covers the gears.

What should I check first? And is it always recommended to replace both ball joints at the same time? The other joint didnt "break" but the ball just came out from the place it was pressed into.. it was wierd, it must have dried up.

smufguy
05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
my car has a bad driver side Tie rod and the upper control arm balljoint. It squeaks soo bad, you can hear it a mile away. Just change them and you will be fine. ................ i just gotta find time to change my shit. :Owned:

Blkblurr
05-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Do you hear the squeaking when the car is running over bumps etc? When the suspension is moving up and down? If so, Mine was doing this because the upper control arm needed greasing at it's pivot points. It's not easy to do unless you remove it and grease the bushings. What I did to make it stop was to wrap cotton around the bushing and then put light oil on the cotton. I then wrapped the cotton with foil to keep dirt and water out of it. After leaving it there for several weeks the squeak was gone.

smufguy
05-17-2006, 07:03 AM
i disassembled my upper control arm, used grease, put everything back, and it still squeaks when i turn and when i go over bumps, basically when the car moves up and down at the UCA. I am just gonna let it be the way it is right now and then just get new 3g upper control arms.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I experienced the squeaks due to failing front upper balljoints. If the joints are still tight, but dry, you can regrease them. Most autoparts stores carry a needle attachment for grease guns. It'll allow you to get up underneath the rubber boot (with the knuckle detached) and pump in grease. I did this on my lower ball joints when they started binding. No problems since.