PDA

View Full Version : use a cat...

sinisterfuzzy
05-14-2006, 12:27 PM
yeah, use a cat like vanilla sky rants. i just got pulled over, i'm getting one soon lol

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
you guys are getting busted for not having a cat?

gfrg88
05-14-2006, 12:55 PM
how'd the cop now you didnt have one?? you should "modify" your stock one ;)

A20A1
05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I wanted to put my cat back on because I was driving behind my car one day and sucked up all the fumes... it made me sick :(

I was thinking stick it after my muffler. (my muffler is by the header)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
05-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Just hollow out the stock one so the only way to tell is to take it off and look, lol.

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2006, 01:41 PM
i just turn off my car if i get pulled over, problem solved?

gfrg88
05-14-2006, 02:00 PM
i just turn off my car if i get pulled over, problem solved?

yeah i turn the car off before i even stop all the way, that way the cant really hear or smell your exhaust :thumbup:

MessyHonda
05-14-2006, 07:32 PM
yeah this happen to my uncle...his 89 accord did not pass smog...he spent like 600 bucks on tuning the engine and it still didnt pass. the cop pulled him over cuz he did the California rolling stop. the cop said that he needed to pass smog in march 06 but he just dumped the car. i could of used it for some parts but he was being an ASS thats why i dont talk to him...show him that im pissed...cuz i was going to change them over so its not like he was going to do it...thats why im working hard to get my car running

88accordhb
05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
lol you got pwned.

Vanilla Sky
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
see what i mean? use a cat. it's not such a hard thing to do, and if it's a high flow cat, you're losing a very small amount of power until you're really spinning your engine. you COULD step pu to one with a larger diameter then back down after it. it would be somewhat like a resonator if you did that.

oh, and at least in my case, a cat keeps my truck from smelling like ass. i know when i'm behind a car without a cat. i need to start carrying some expanding foam for such times.

gfrg88
05-14-2006, 08:52 PM
you what really sucks, when your car runs pig rich and youre at a stop light, i have my stock cat and im dying with the all the fumes from my car, if i didnt have a cat i wouldve probably already died :slap: but im going to do what vanilla said and use something like a 2.5" high flow cat from a camaro or something.

Vanilla Sky
05-14-2006, 08:56 PM
running rich will kill a cat. find your problem and fix it before you spend $100+ on the cat. you'll thank me in the end.

i would start with the FPR. you could get an adjustable one and lean it out that way.

AccordB20A
05-14-2006, 09:01 PM
????

as you know there are no emission control shit in nz..... but out jap imports have it all on them.i swapped the middle part of my exhaust with a NZ new accords pipe (no CAT just a coby stile muffler in the middle). i have no issues with smells exhaust fumes or anything. I spose it comes down to tuning.

or is it just your american petrol ?!?!?!?!?!?!
the only cars around here u can smell coming is a mitzy..cause its a mitzy

A20A1
05-14-2006, 09:25 PM
no I was running rich. It does have to do with tuning.

gfrg88
05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
running rich will kill a cat. find your problem and fix it before you spend $100+ on the cat. you'll thank me in the end.
i would start with the FPR. you could get an adjustable one and lean it out that way.

does it really kill a cat?? could that be why im almost dying at stop lights?? i already have the FPR im just waiting on a fuel rail to get here cause the one i have is a ls one and the fpr hits the IM. but im going to get a high flow one pretty soon so its all good.

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 08:04 AM
yes. a cat can only burn off so many hydrocarbons before its performance diminishes to the point of clogging.

speedpenguin
05-15-2006, 08:16 AM
If nothing else, just do it because we've fucked up our air enough already. Seriously people need to breathe that stuff.

detroit313
05-15-2006, 08:18 AM
why did you get popped for not having a CAT? im in michigan too(Detroit)
and we dont have to pass any smog/emissions tests in Michigan to drive....makes no sense!

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
because it's a FEDERAL law.

gfrg88
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
yes. a cat can only burn off so many hydrocarbons before its performance diminishes to the point of clogging.

so im actually losing power since its so clogged up from the car running rich right?? im supposed to get a fuel rail from 88lxi68 but he hasnt pm'd me back on wether he sent it out or not, this was about a week ago :rant: :chainsaw:

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 04:26 PM
only in the long run. you can make more power in the short term by running a little rich, but if you're running with a cat, it's not sustainable. that's why race cars usually don't have cats. they usually run AF ratios that would burn a cat up quickly, and since they do see high-revving situations, the cat does become a pretty big restriction, even when using a highflow cat.

lostforawhile
05-15-2006, 04:35 PM
If nothing else, just do it because we've fucked up our air enough already. Seriously people need to breathe that stuff.these cars run so clean anyway,it doesn't make much difference. honda could have made them pass emissions without the cat,but the goverment said stick it on there anyway. if you want to make a difference do something about all the buses and large trucks belching smoke everywhere. they could be made to run clean,but it's pick on the little cars. also the factories belching smoke that could be cleaned up. and that guy down the block that just ate that burrito, puuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!GAG :ugh: :barf:

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 04:58 PM
the ARE starting to put particulate filters and the deisel counterpart to catalytic converters on deisels. the problem is that until VERY recently, a feasable converter and particulate filter didn't exist. factories already have particulate filters and an equal to the cats. remember that every vehicle puts out 20,000 pounds of pollution for every gallon of fuel burned. can't tell me that a cat isn't something that should be ignored.

and honestly, i wouldn't have any hard feelings about plugging EVERY exhaust i came across that had its cat removed with expanding foam. it would be a good idea to get some of these people to take their car to a shop that would turn the lack of a converter in.

honda wouldn't have gotten these cars to run clean enough to not need a converter unless they seriously cut power. CVCC would have to be employed again as well.

and going by the emissions standards of the time, almost any car now would pass the standards that these cars passed without the aid of their cats. we're not stuck in the 70's.

if you want a car without a cat, buy one that was never equipped with one and STFU.

cubert
05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
i couldnt care less if my car has a cat or not...my dub does...but i know that the econd it gives me trouble or i go to performance exhaust its either getting punched out...or a straight pipe or resonator is getting put in its place..

As for my s10...no cats..just mufflers...oh well...im not about to dish out 50+ each for a truck thats 21 years old...

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
maybe people that don't use a cat need to have someone walking around with a blowtorch aimed at their feet. kind of simulate the effects of global warming.

cubert
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
if youre that concerned buy a bicycle or walk

MessyHonda
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
if youre that concerned buy a bicycle or walk

good point...well like i said i got a high flow cat...its our air so we got to keep it clean...or else your kids wont have a good life quality...the United states has to make it strict so car get more MPG....it should be a rule...if you dont have a CAT plant a tree or something that would benifit our enviroment

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
why should i buy a bike and suffer when i'm the one WITH a cat, converving fuel, and tear into my truck every time i see less than 22MPG (pretty good for a flying brick).

YOU should be the one on a bike since you obviously have no soul.

seriously, as a species, humans have DESTROYED the planet in less than 500 years. NOTHING could cause as much damage as we have, volcanoes and impacts notwithstanding.

cubert
05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
why should i buy a bike and suffer when i'm the one WITH a cat, converving fuel, and tear into my truck every time i see less than 22MPG (pretty good for a flying brick).
seriously, as a species, humans have DESTROYED the planet in less than 500 years. NOTHING could cause as much damage as we have, volcanoes and impacts notwithstanding.

because youre the one preaching saying that your idea is right and nobody elses is. Yea..no shit...people are retarded...and have killed this earth...that fact i wont argue...but it think it has just a bit more to it then people not running cats on their cars....

Vanilla Sky
05-15-2006, 07:22 PM
while i agree that the lack of a cat isn't the sole issue here, it's part of it. with the steady increase of vehicles on the road and the increase of production facilites (factories), every little bit helps.

and last time i checked, a dual exhaust makes less power than a crossover (x pipe or h pipe). what's the big deal of passing it through a connverter at the crossover?

AccordB20A
05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
i wonder what effect tyre smoke hads on the atmosphere.. i allways seem to make lots of that

my car that has a cat will keep its cat..even tho its done 300000kms and doesnt work anymore

as for my other car i see no exhast smoke so it cant be doing NE HARm

I WONT BE USING A CAT UNTIL THERE IS A LAW TELLING ME 2 (WHICH IM GUESSIN THERE MIGHT BE ONE SOON SINCE THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY A woman!!!!!!!)

Vanilla Sky
05-16-2006, 02:08 AM
no, it's doing harm, smoke or not. if it din't come with a cat to begin with, then i have no real problem with it.

and your stock cat does still work. typiclly, they either work, or they're clogged and blow out. you'll hear it if it blows out.

AccordB20A
05-16-2006, 02:42 AM
sweeeeet thats all good i dont know how to tell if a cat works or not but sure the stock one can stay.

Vanilla Sky
05-16-2006, 02:50 AM
when you're driving at about 40-45MPH, shift to second gear and let off the gas pedal. if you're car's warmed up, you'll hear it popping. that's the cat burning off the extra fuel. THIS is what concerns me most.

if you're going to run a car without a cat, you CAN run it cleanly, but it requires an engine that is in near perfect shape. ever wonder why japan exports engines? it's because they don't meet their sha'ken laws, which are largely based on emissions.

cubert
05-16-2006, 03:07 AM
i wonder what effect tyre smoke hads on the atmosphere.. i allways seem to make lots of that
my car that has a cat will keep its cat..even tho its done 300000kms and doesnt work anymore
as for my other car i see no exhast smoke so it cant be doing NE HARm
I WONT BE USING A CAT UNTIL THERE IS A LAW TELLING ME 2 (WHICH IM GUESSIN THERE MIGHT BE ONE SOON SINCE THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY A woman!!!!!!!)

oh man...dont talk about tire smoke having harmful effects....if thats the case im really screwed... :lol:

Vanilla...dont get me wrong..i completely see wherre you are coming from with your view. Last night i was in a bit of an apprehensive mood, and this thread was there...so yea...you see where this is going....my dub will probably always have the cat...because i hope ill never be stupid enough to go to performance exhaust on it... :lol: And my truck doesnt have a crossover pipe because the cheap stooge who built the exhaust just has a pipe from hear header to the back....donkey....so ive yet to decide what ill do for exhaust on that....

Vanilla Sky
05-16-2006, 03:25 AM
X pipe with a common muffler and cat. that's how i'd roll, assuming it was originally equipped with a cat. if not, i'm not exactly sure i'd put a cat on it, as a vehicle really needs an O2 sensor to really know what's happening back there. that's the main advantage with an OBD2 system. you computer knows more of what's going on, even post cat.

and yeah, i was having a bad night myself. no hard feelings. i just wish these rednecks would stop complaining that their new silverado lost power when they installed straight pipes. no shit, dumbasses, you just put your computer into a permanent open loop mode, and since you're running "true duals," you're not taking advantage of the scavenging effect that an x pipe really helps out with. yay for 8 miles per gallon and less power than you started out with.

/lives in a town full of lifted trucks with no cats that are loud as hell and slower than my bicycle

cubert
05-16-2006, 03:36 AM
:lol: the truck is an 85..so come to think of it...i dunno if the original 2.5 was ever equipped with a cat..i would think at that point it would be...but then again...its a chevy..so who knows. Im sure at this point if it had cats the big oil burning 350 would have coated them in oil by now...i really need to rebuild...hahaha...and absolutely no hard feelings.....

Well..im off to brave the flood waters....have a good day all

speedpenguin
05-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Wow, this was fun!

gfrg88
05-16-2006, 08:31 AM
:thumbdn:
when you're driving at about 40-45MPH, shift to second gear and let off the gas pedal. if you're car's warmed up, you'll hear it popping. that's the cat burning off the extra fuel. THIS is what concerns me most.
if you're going to run a car without a cat, you CAN run it cleanly, but it requires an engine that is in near perfect shape. ever wonder why japan exports engines? it's because they don't meet their sha'ken laws, which are largely based on emissions.

well i think my cat doestn work anymore then, my car even idling i can hear go BAM BAM POP BAM POP POP :D and when i down shift its even louder. im just glad no cop has said shit about, not yet atleast

3rdgenhatchDX
05-16-2006, 08:52 AM
:wtf: I'm cutting my cat, and resonator

and it's true we've done damage, ...but do you really think you'll be here when global warming finally gets hot enough to kill us? :violin:

And i live in the same kind of town, hicks with no cats, loud pipes and bad gas mileage, doesn't bother me though

I also heard at work that when i cut my cat i should advance my timing, so it doesn't run rich, i'm also going to be installing a a/f ratio to make sure, and tune it properly, gas mileage is gas mileage.

lostforawhile
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
if you're going to run a car without a cat, you CAN run it cleanly, but it requires an engine that is in near perfect shape. ever wonder why japan exports engines? it's because they don't meet their sha'ken laws, which are largely based on emissions. that has nothing to do with burning off excess fuel,thats because you are dumping a bunch of unburned fuel down the exaust,the cat converts hydrocarbon emissions to carbon dioxide and water,the popping has nothing to do with the converter. mine does that and i removed my converter becaue i ran over one of those yellow things in a parking lot and ripped it apart at about 30 miles an hour. well actually the divider removed it for me. when I need one here i'll buy another one. there areen't even enough of these cars left running to make much of an impact,the ones that belch smoke out the tailpipe like a mosquito fogger are the ones that you need to worry about.

AccordB20A
05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
yeah like a mitzy or something since they are the only cars over here that tend to smoke lots. thats the only exhaust emision law they have over here if ur car visibly puts owt smoke after 10 minuites of running

gfrg88
05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
,the ones that belch smoke out the tailpipe like a mosquito fogger are the ones that you need to worry about.

:hs: thats me :sadwave:

A20A1
05-17-2006, 10:22 PM

You let off the gas and you close off the intake... but the vacuum present in the exhaust system is still there from the rpm you were at before you let off the gas. It causes a big difference in pressure and not a sufficient amount of air because you closed off the throttle body so you get a pop.
Everytime I rev the engine, shift, and close the throttle my system pops, and will do so more if I downshift and try to bring the rpms back up that way without opening the throttle.

lostforawhile
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I saw one today,saw a cloud of smoke about a quarter of a mile away,thought there was a fire, got closer and saw it was an old ass oldsmobile with smoke just billowing out the tailpipe, i had to turn my lights on after i passed it it was so bad. looked like that smokescreen james bond used to have. wonder how many miles per quart he gets. there ought to be a law,if your car is smoking so badly that it impairs other drivers vision, eithier fix it or park it.

aerokid1987
05-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Ha thats funny! We just bought a fixer upper ford probe turbo at my work that leaks oil like a bitch... We took it out and drove it about a mile and a half and burned like a quart and half of oil... Talk about a serious smoke screen! Yeh we're gonna fix it, just took it out for the hell of it. It sure made my clothes stink tho... There was oil practically dripping out of the exhaust pipe it was that bad...