PDA

View Full Version : changing my water pump and timing belt (what brand should i buy)

detroit313
05-14-2006, 05:00 PM
anyone have an idea of the best brand of water pump and timing belt to buy? auto zone has like 3-4 different ones!
my '88 lx-i is @ 107,000 miles and i hear horror storys about the belt breaking and screwing up the valves and shit.
the manual says change every 60,000? is this accurate in your opinion?
while im changing the belt im gonna go ahead and do the pump...what the hell!
found some reliable dude here in Detroit who will do the whole job for $200!
i dont have the time/patience/or honda experience to tackle this one........
any help or recommendations would be appreciated!!

how long would it take(out of plain curiosity) for a honda rookie like myself to tackle the job? think its better to pay someone with experience?
i have the shop manual/chiltons and all that stuff......

A20A1
05-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Either Genuine Honda or GMB... I used GMB on my Accord and My corolla and haven't had any problems yet.

Make sure you seat the gasket right before tightening down the bolts.

I think 3 hours should be plenty... less if you've removed the belts before and don't have anything in the way.

It really shouldn't take more then an hour though.

Remember to drain the coolant, also remember not to overtighten the belt.
bleeding the system may take a little time if you've never done it before.

Just have everything nearby so you don't have to run to the store.

Some of that orange gasketpaste in the tube, will help hold the rubber gasket in place, let it sit a while for it to get tacky but not too long. don't over apply the gasket paste either.

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2006, 05:55 PM
honda and honda. Ive had aftermarket water pumps fail

ex1z7
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
If you look down like 3 threads I'm in the middle of about-to-tackling a swap, would it be wise to do the waterpump ? the belt needs to be done and I have an OEM one new waitin', but I'm not sure when the pump was last done, or what to see to check if it needs to be done.. Should I do it when I have the engine out, just for saving time long term ?

*edit* Oh and, how much do waterpumps and stuff cost?

Kabuki
05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
If the water pump isn't leaking, or making noise, then don't bother with it. They are easy to replace later. We use NPW or Paraut, both of whom make various water pumps for Honda. GMB pumps are crap. But timing belts? If you want it to last, use a genuine Honda belt, or a SUN belt (same company, UNITTA). If your cheap as hell, then you could get a goodyear unit too, but they shouldn't be trusted past 60,000 miles.

detroit313
05-18-2006, 07:20 AM
everything is fine actually! i just want to get it done before im all jacked up somewhere on the side on the road.
whats the most mileage you can SAFELY get out of a timing belt? i know the honda books are being a bit on the safe side?

DBMaster
05-18-2006, 09:30 AM
I got 90,000 out of a T-belt from NAPA (made by Gates). If you buy parts online from Majestic, though, you can get the OEM belt at a good price. I would stick with only a Honda pump. I had a brand new aftermarket pump from NAPA go bad after only 18,000 miles. I only bought it there out of convenience because it wasn't any cheaper than the OEM pump from Majestic.

detroit313
05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks for that info man...
im shopping right now!!

88Accord-DX
05-18-2006, 06:27 PM
While your in there, take off the timing belt tensioner & listen while you spin it. If the you can hear the bearings being dry, replace it. Intervals of 90.000 miles is recommended for timing belt replacement, but as mentioned, can be extended under situations.

With the motor as Interference design, it is good to keep on top of it's maintenance schedule.

Edit- As for as brand, if you got the cash go OEM, other than that most parts houses use Napa or Gates.