PDA

View Full Version : 86 2.0 accord loss of power

frank2660
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
ok just got the car last week changed the valve cover gasket and oil valves need adjusting i will do soon been driving around town 12 to 15 miles at a time ok no problems went for about 40 mile cruise and stopped and fished for a while left no problems running than all of sudden it lost power would not rev stoped and started back up again no p0roblems ran great did this 2 times no lights are on cel? suggestions pleases ??

HondaBoy
05-13-2006, 06:03 PM
i'd recommend rewriting your post or something. not really anything i get out of reading it. sorry. and this is 1geez section, not for 3geez. only thing i know is you probably need to find the specifications on the things you've done. you said "oil valves", do you mean the valves in the cylinder head? if you over adjust them it will cause some nasty problems. also, you would probably need to tell us if the car is Fi or carbed.

frank2660
05-14-2006, 03:20 AM
ok i will make more clear sorry

frank2660
05-14-2006, 05:10 PM
ok just got car. changed valve gasket oil change and clean up. valves need adjusting no time yet running good the other day was drving and lost power would not rev stopped and restarted no problem did it again 2 miles latter ran today 50 miles no problems after that what shoul i look for Thanks for the help

2ndGenGuy
05-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Frank,

Do you mean that you were driving and the whole car just shut off? Did your gauges all drop down and your whole electrical system cut out and the engine just quit running? Or did all the electrical keep working and the engine is the only thing that lost power?

If so, I had this happen in my car a few times in the intense heat. I hear that the problem is due to Honda using cold solder joints in the main relays. I also hear that you can take them apart and resolder them and this problem goes away.

Is it really hot where you live?

A20A1
05-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I think he's foriegn you guys, so don't be all bitchy about the spelling and grammar.

frank2660
05-16-2006, 01:08 PM
yes the engine seemed to lose all power. the electrical system was fine the motor did not rev. i stopped and restarted and it was ok 2 miles down the road it did it again. it has not happened since yes and yes it was hot outside i live in florida what should i check for thanks Frank

wbarrett48473
09-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Sorry I know this is an old post but while i was searching for something else this caught my eye.

I also have a 86 accord dx (2.0) and this same problem happend to me. I noticed this happening more often when the gas guage was around a half of a tank. So I replaced both fuel filters and that helped a little, but replacing the fuel pump is what fixed it for me.

Good luck