PDA

View Full Version : A/C Clutch Problem

azazel_18_2
05-15-2006, 04:57 AM
I have an 89 Honda Accord and just had the a/c compressor changed.
The a/c worked fine for a week but now the a/c clutch won't kick on. I checked the clutch and it tests out fine so it must be in my wiring. I went ahead and replaced the a/c clutch relay and still nothing. I need some help real bad.

azazel_18_2
05-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I just now went and replaced the a/c diode and still nothing. This is ticking me off pretty bad. I may just pull the a/c switch and run a wire from it to the compressor. I am so tired of the a/c problems.

Blkblurr
05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Jump the pressure switch to see if it kicks in. If so, you have low freon. Don't leave it jumped out too long though. When you get some freon you may need to jump this pressure switch out to get the compressor running in order to charge it. The pressure switch is on the dryer canister if my memory is correct. that's on the driver side near the radiator.

azazel_18_2
05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
A week ago I took it to a shop and had a new compressor put on, leak tested, and charged. i am going to be ticked if it is low already. I will check it out.

azazel_18_2
05-17-2006, 05:10 AM
I checked the pressure switch according to the honda service manual and it checks out fine.

sk8ordie133
05-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Im having that same problem! I have an 89 honda accord lxi 2 door and everytime I turn the AC on, the fuse blows! Does that mean that there is a short in the wiring, or could it be my AC clutch?? Any ideas?

DBMaster
05-17-2006, 07:28 AM
It may just be the clearance between the clutch pulley and pressure plate. Try this: With the car on ramps and the engine running, A/C on, see if a metal wrench will stick to the front plate on the compressor. If so, you are getting power to the clutch coil. There are shims that determine the clearance between the pressure plate and pulley and if the clearance is just slightly too large the clutch will not engage.

azazel_18_2
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Well, I took mine back to the shop I had do all the work and he said the NEW compressor shelled. He showed me and there are metal shavings all in my lines. I am pretty ticked off about this. I spent over $400 getting my a/c working and it lasted a few weeks. Keihin compressors suck!