PDA

View Full Version : That black box

drewsleeperlxi
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Ok i have an 1989 honda accord i went crazy removing stuff i didnt like it didnt look jdm to me so i have a ?? Ok u know that black box left top corner on the engine bay? Well what is that i pluged the lines on the motor and it just threw a code anyone know wat this is or what it does and if it is ok to drive without it?

mkymonkey
05-15-2006, 10:45 PM
you mean the vacumm box?

drewsleeperlxi
05-15-2006, 11:46 PM
yea u was reading ur car info and why did u use a 4g map sensor?

Whistler225
05-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Ok i have an 1989 honda accord i went crazy removing stuff i didnt like it didnt look jdm to me so i have a ?? Ok u know that black box left top corner on the engine bay? Well what is that i pluged the lines on the motor and it just threw a code anyone know wat this is or what it does and if it is ok to drive without it?

That is your vacuum box. If you do the vacuum removal mod (properly), you shouldn't need it, but if you live in a state where they do emissions testing/visual emissions equipment inspection, you won't pass inspection without it (you won't pass emissions if you ripped out all your vacuum lines either). If you did remove all your vacuum lines (which I don't see how you could have if you didn't know what the black box was....I mean most of the vacuum lines go right into it at some point), you might want to download the OSM and hook them back up/replace them with new ones if you need to pass emissions.

mkymonkey
05-16-2006, 03:56 AM
yea u was reading ur car info and why did u use a 4g map sensor?

are you asking me? it delivers a bit more fuel to the engine and a bit higher performance but it craps out your mpg.

ex1z7
05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
The vacuum box hmm. . . Taking it off the firewall isn't hard, right? =)

A20A1
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Dude he's EFI (LX-i), the box it's not the same as removing a carbureted (LX/DX) black box.

gfrg88
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
i believe Justin removed the black box on his efi engine, try talking to him.

smufguy
05-16-2006, 11:56 AM
The black box aka the emission control box has the Map Sensor, Egr solonoid and everythign you need to run the emissions under control. Its not advised that you pull it off and run the car.

Whistler225
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM
:wtf: might be nice if I paid closer attention lol....

Sorry dude.....totally disregard my post if you didn't already.

ex1z7
05-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Reason why I asked why that black box in the top left(which I guess is the vacuum box..) can be removed, is because I'm doing an engine swap from one car to another, and don't want to label and remove all those lines and stuff from both cars when I can make it quicker to just swap the box =).

I'll look closer at it tomorrow or so..