PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Cam A Tooth?

mike_fx_u
08-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Ive seen some people posting say advancing cam a tooth will improve performance. If this is true, is it due to higher compression. Also if cam is advanced should the distributer be set to stock postion or should it be advanced also or retarded. Also would this setup work with a aftermarket performace cam or would u have to retain stock settings.

Thank for the help.
Mike
[email protected]

POS carb
08-24-2002, 08:28 PM
I read in car craft once that advancing your cam moves the power band down a few hundred rpms whereas retarding it raises it but it would seem the other way around to me b/c at higher rpms the air should be injested sooner to make up for momentum

anybody care to clarify? :argue:

AZmike
08-24-2002, 09:18 PM
I recently replaced my timing belt and ended up with my valves one tooth advanced. It started up really fast but it ran raelly rough above 2300 rpm. I wouldn't recommend it.

1988starter
08-25-2002, 11:41 AM
I would only recomend it if you have a modified cam

myaccord7
11-08-2002, 06:46 PM
i have a modified cam. an openloop. can i asvance it of retard it? what will it do and whice is better?

zach

AZmike
11-12-2002, 10:35 AM
You'd need an adjustable cam gear, which is not commercially available for our cars (I think). One tooth either direction is too much.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-12-2002, 10:55 AM
I would just get different performance parts until you find out for sure. Does anyone know if those underdrive pulleys add hp to the car? The ones from openloop.

jteuton
11-12-2002, 02:50 PM
One tooth advanced on my car with a modified colt cam worked wonders. Made my 0-60 probably decrease by a whole sec....anywayz you can really tell a difference in traffic at low rpms. I'm not sure how the stock cam would respond. By the way one tooth is like ~8-9 degrees.....which most aftermarket gears go to 10 so is a little on the extreme side but I've noticed I can't tell the difference in the powerband until I change it by 3-4 degrees anyways. Caution....my butt might not be as senitive as yours.