PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Leaking? Oil Filter?

TechnoGecko
05-16-2006, 05:25 PM
So I noticed a puddle under the car today, size of 4-5 quarters on the concrete. Threw the car up on jackstands and as far as I can see it looks like there is oil on and around the oil filter, as well as oil dripping from where the transmission meets the engine.

I tightened the oil filter, I guess Jiffy Lube didn't put it on tight enough, but the transmission leak worries me. I added perhaps 1/10th of a quart of oil to top it off and then it was full. Dropped it by the shop to have them look it over real quick, they've been more than fair to me in the fast. Said it looks like its leaking from the filter but they can't be sure since it's all over - and it is for sure leaking from the transmission. Told me they don't do transmission work there, so I'd have to take it elsewhere.

Really, really not happy at this point. I've never worked on transmissions before, and my interest in learning on this car in 100+ degree weather in the garage is slim. Anyone know what it would cost to have that seal replaced. Also, if you were going to do that then would it also be smart to replace the clutch?

Also, since the car dosent use typical transmission fluid, would it be safe to add transmission stop leak? I'm thinking the leak is big enough at this point that it wouldn't work anyway, but I guess it could be worth a shot. Whats really odd is it hasn't leaked a single drop in the year and a half I've had it, now all of a sudden it's just pouring out....

Any advice appreciated, as always.

paso100
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
There's an oil filter base gasket (#10) that is a common culprit (was on my car, anyway!). If that's not it, it might be your cam seal or your oil pump seals. I was told by a Honda mechanic that the oil pump is usually fine and to just replace the gasket and o-rings. (#4, 11, 9). Oil filter base gasket is cheapest to replace.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/catimgs/13se00_a05.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/catimgs/13se00_a06.gif

TechnoGecko
05-19-2006, 08:53 PM
So I decided to just bring it by a transmission shop to have them look at it rather than start tearing the thing apart. They said it was leaking from the driver side axel, which - suprise, was removed to replace the alternator. Brought it back to the shop and they replaced the seal, which they claim was torn.

So it's all good now right?

Nope, still leaking. In fact it's leaking even more now. Still clueless on where this SOB leak is coming from. It's towards the middle of the car, kinda on the passenger side. Any other places I should be looking? Gotta find this leak ASAP - don't want to drive the car like this. It's leaking a good 5" diameter puddle everytime it's parked.

Help!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-20-2006, 03:32 PM
If you are sure that it is coming from the transmission, its likely that its the half-shaft seals. Since the leak intensified after the shop messed with one, that's the first place to look. Always use original Honda seals on the axles. The shop could have installed the seal incorrectly or torn it while installing the axle again. Another possible leak is the transmission input shaft, but I have never heard of it leaking on these cars. The o-ring on the speed sensor may be leaking as well. Cheap part, easy to replace. Also, if you decide to replace the seals, get new axle retaining clips (again, OEM only seems to be the concensus) for peace of mind. Hope this helps.

AccordEpicenter
05-20-2006, 07:57 PM
ive had ps leaks on the hoses going to the speed sensor in the back of the tranny do this before.

TechnoGecko
05-20-2006, 11:09 PM
I have yet to take a look at the car again, it's been hanging out in the driveway. Hopefully tomorrow i'll have the time to get under there, clean it all up, and try and find out where it is leaking from.

Oh, and to make things worse someone hit the car last night and did in the driver fender and part of the door and bumper.

... starting to think this car is bad luck!

MessyHonda
05-21-2006, 07:20 AM
my car was leaking oil for like a week....i took it to my uncles shop and he looked at it...it was dirtry so we could not tell where the leak was coming from. so he used part cleaner and sprayed all the bottom side of the car so it was clean...i took it around the block like 3 times and then put it back on the lift and let the engine run...it was coming from my headgasket. mine was landing on the exhaust so thats why i knew something was wrong....also coolent leaked....gave it away that it was the head gasket....well try spraying it with part cleaner and then drive it and put it on the jackstands if you dont have access to a lift...try to see where is coming from...be careful cuz hot oil may come out...i had gloves and a extra long sleave shirt

Cant Stop
05-21-2006, 07:28 AM
ya try the gasket between the oil filter assembly and the block also the o-ring on your pcv system
and the o-ring on your distributer also makes a big mess