PDA

View Full Version : Wheels of DOOM!!!!!!!!!

kholyfire
05-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, so the back wheel is f***ed up...I believe a piece of the suspension snapped and the wheel is canted inward (as if it had WAY too much inward caster). I don't know exactly what went, but an acquaintance told me that he's seen it happen to 3geez before. Does anybody know exactly what piece it is that failed? Also, being the frugal person I am, how much would it cost to repair it both shopwise and by myself, if I can do it alone? ANY help at all would be much appreciated.
BTW...this is the third wheel that's done roughly the same thing; both front wheels have had the lower ball joint snap. (I'm sure that you all know what it does to cv's and such when this happens at speed...)
:wtf: :rocket: :chainsaw: and the like

Acid X
05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
You probably mean camber, not caster, and it was most likely an upper ball joint. That's waht happens...

w261w261
05-17-2006, 03:06 AM
<both front wheels have had the lower ball joint snap>

Jeez, have you no respect for your own life? It's called maintenance.

Kabuki
05-17-2006, 09:28 AM
We see quite a few of those rear upper control arms needing to be replaced. Enough that I keep one on hand. We are starting to see them on the 1G Legends and the 4G Accords too.

kholyfire
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
so how much approx am i looking at to replace both? (its called maintenance)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
If you are having these problems then you probably put a lot of stress on other parts so i would try to replace as many parts at once as possible. Do things like new upper and lower ball joints around $35 each, tie rod ends around $20 each, sway bar bushings are only a few dollars. You are going to have access to that kind of stuff when you change the ball joints anyway so why not. You could do all of it for around $200 but it would be well worth it. All you need to do is buy this and it will be a lot cheaper then buying it all seperatly http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-Accord-Control-arm-Bushing-Ball-joint-Tie-rod_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ8065056 990QQrdZ1

carotman
05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah, if one of the balljoints sanapped, I would check every other bushings and balljoints. They might need replacing too.

I don't know if you use winter tires but every time I cange tires on my cars, I check for any loose balljoint or cracked bushing. It saves you alot of headaches in the future.