PDA

View Full Version : Kleen 'Jectors

1989se-i
08-24-2002, 10:03 PM
whats the best way to cleen dirty injectors? is there anything i shouldnt do to clean them?
maybe it'd be easier to buy new ones...
to clean or not to clean, that is the question...

DBMaster
08-25-2002, 01:11 PM
What makes you think you have dirty injectors?

1989se-i
08-25-2002, 08:23 PM
A few days ago i pulled out an injector to replace a faulty O-Ring, and it was dirty. Im assuming the rest are to:p

DBMaster
08-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Uh-oh. It was probably not a faulty o-ring. You need to keep an eye on it and you will probably see the manifold get gas on it again. They usually leak at the joint between the plastic and metal parts and you have to replace the whole injector. If it is just the part AROUND the tip that is dirty it is OK. If you looked down the middle was it clean at the pintle? (The little pin looking thing in the middle) The solvents in most gasolines do a good enough job of keeping the pintles clean.

smufguy
10-05-2002, 07:20 AM
the best way to clean ur injectors is to clean them. The stock injectors run 95 bucks each. I cant believe it, but thats what i was told.

Majestic honda has a list price of $108.83 and their price is 81.63. So u see, its expensive. Add 4 injectors u get $326.52. Hmmmm thats one hefty price. Well what u can do is, if u really wanna do it. Use some premium (97 octane) just once and seems like it cleans out the crap in ur fuel system. BUt dont quote me on that. Look into how much the flushing the injectors cost. it could change ur mind.

DBMaster
10-05-2002, 08:51 AM
You can buy replacement injectors from Nopi for $39.95 each, or buy "test" genuine Honda injectors from RC Engineering for $42. (rceng.com).

I am pretty much going to guarantee you that you need at least one new injector. The o-rings do not develop leaks. You are wasting your money on premium fuel as it will not "clean" any better than the other grades. If what you thought was dirt was around the outside of the plastic tip it is nothing to be concerned with. The only part that needs to be clean is inside the plastic tip.

isadisa
11-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Get a bottle of Red Line SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner, its about $5 a bottle, the first time you use pour half the bottle into your EMPTY tank and fill up (do this at the gas station)....then pour in a little bit every time you fill up (the bottle has marks) or use a half a bottle every time you change your oil.....fuel injected cars run sooo much better with this.

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2002, 06:36 PM
A Honda mechanic friend of mine suggested using a full 20oz bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner after you run your tank down to nothing, then put like $2 worth of super in the tank and itll clean any injector like a mofo, assuming its dirty. He says its the only injector cleaner thats approved by honda not to damage the injectors (dont wanna damage them... like $100 a piece but rarely get messed up) Ive personally seen it work in a gm car with a 3100 v6 that had a steady miss on one cyl, the injector was sooo messed up but after the cleaner it worked great.

87DXHatch
12-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Anyone tried Seafoam? That works really well in my car.

1987HondaAccord
12-09-2002, 06:11 PM
I have at least one bad injector too:( One of them leaks onto the outside of the intake manifold (seriously leaks) and the other only leaks a little on the outside of the manifold. I know that I should put new ones in (all 4?) but I dont want to spend so much $$$$. I cant believe they are $93 each:huh: but i checked at carparts.com and they are:( Right now I am getting less than 25 mpg:mad:

AccordEpicenter
12-10-2002, 10:57 PM
is it the actual injector leaking or is it the seals between the injector and the manifold or fuel rail?

1987HondaAccord
12-12-2002, 03:38 PM
I cant really tell where it is leaking. It isnt running out much but there is some definite residue on the number 2 cylinder intake.

AZmike
12-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
is it the actual injector leaking or is it the seals between the injector and the manifold or fuel rail?

I had the same problem on 3/4 injectors and it turned out that they were leaking the seam between the metal and plastic on the injector itself. My seals looked just like the brand new ones I installed (probably could have saved the money and kept the old ones). If the leak is bad enough to affect your mileage it's probably also a huge fire hazard. I'd recommend you fix that right away.