PDA

View Full Version : Jacking Rear of Car

JT55
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I have an 1989 Accord Hatchback. I want to raise it on 4 jack stands to change manual transmission oil using a floor jack. Searching 3geez, I learned that to jack-up the front wheels, I use the tow hook on the front cross-member.
To jack-up the rear wheels, I am not clear and Haynes manual was no help. If I look under the rear of the car, there is a circular protrusion just behind the the rear suspension (in the center & in about 2.5 feet from bumper). Is this the proper location for a floor jack to raise the back of the car, and then put jack stands under both support areas ahead of the rear wheels. Looking at this circular portrusion, it does not look all that solid.
Any help appreciated, JT

AccordRacing21
05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Jack one side up at a time right by the wheel wells (you'll see where if you look under the car) on the side of the car to be safest.

SteveDX89
05-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Why would you want to jack the whole car up? Personally, I would just jack the driver side front so that the tranny is tilted and drains all the fluid. Then when you fill it up, jack up the pass. side.

AccordEpicenter
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Why would you want to jack the whole car up? Personally, I would just jack the driver side front so that the tranny is tilted and drains all the fluid. Then when you fill it up, jack up the pass. side.

Thats what i would do. You can use that structure in the rear end to stick a jack under and support the car. You can jack on either the small beam that goes between the 2 wheels in the rear or the little bump right after it toward the trunk well, both are structural parts of the car

ex1z7
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Hey thanks for that tip.. I was wondering how to drain as much of the tranny fluid in my car as possible to replace it with better newer fluid ...

fraza
05-18-2006, 01:52 AM
i think inbetween the spare trye thing and the fuel tank is a jack point, im not certain tho, but im sure there would be another way other than jack up each side seperately

JT55
05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey, thanks for all the helpful feedback from everyone. Haynes manual said to raise car and have it level to check transmission fluid, hence reason for original question.
When I jack up the passenger side to fill it up, if the final oil level is a bit above the bottom of the fill hole (when on level ground), is this any concern for the transmission?
Thanks again!

A20A1
05-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah there is a small knotch/bump somewhere in the back of the car that I've used to jack up the rear before... or they say get a long 2x4 and use that to spread the weight out over the rear.

fraza
05-19-2006, 09:31 PM
u got like a pic of this knotch??

mkymonkey
05-19-2006, 09:45 PM
see the hump now?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/paso100/100_2026.jpg

fraza
05-20-2006, 06:30 PM
ahhh yep

alboy86
01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
one question when ur jacking up the rear on a car with an auto do ya leave it in park or put it in Neutral

MessyHonda
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
one question when ur jacking up the rear on a car with an auto do ya leave it in park or put it in Neutral

park..if you leave it in nutral your front wheels will roll and you will become a pancake. use jackstands.

alboy86
01-08-2007, 01:58 PM
thanks ya becoming a pancake does not sound like it would be fun lol ill leave it in park and put blocks in front of the wheels

POS carb
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
to remove the tranny oil it is not necessary to jack up the car except for easier maneuvering of your tools (or if your car is slammed), and even then you should only have to raise the front.

you may raise the rear of the car by the center hump, personally I prefer to use the car's stock jackpoints (by the wheels), the frame, and the tow hooks

putting your car in gear (manual) or park (auto) locks the front wheels. 1st gear has the highest resistance to motion.
putting the ebrake locks the rear wheels
keep in mind that your car will not raise in a straight line, it will move away from the initial jacking point because the fulcrum is on the opposite wheels. You jack will need to roll back or your car needs to roll forward, otherwise it'll just collapse. Hydraulic jacks compound the problem because their motion is the same as the car's but in the opposite direction. I recommend putting the car to it's final jacking height (on a level surface) and then applying the brakes. Tire chocks should always be used, but if you don't have any find something to wedge under the tires, even if it just a rock, a tool, or spare parts.
junkyard tip: Old 300ZXs have tire chocks in the hatch (freebie!!)

alboy86
01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
good tips im just changing out the drum brakes i jack it up in the front when i change the tranny oil i was just making sure the tranny can handle the weight

HondaBoy
01-09-2007, 12:51 AM
i love that my 3gee had a central location to jack the vehicle in the front and rear. makes it fast and simple for quick wheel changes or otherwise servicing the suspension. 6 minutes is my best time to swap my wheels with hand tools.

Remedy
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM

+1