PDA

View Full Version : How to search forum for multiple words match?

McNick
05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi!
I've tried to search the forum with 2 words as one phrase but get a result as for separate. "+&AND and so on was used. No result.
So How to saerch the phorum for [oil pump] but not for [oil] [pump]?

A20A1
05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Not sure. Do you need to find a how to replace oil pump thread?

I would use the advance search feature... then select "Maintenance" as the forum you want to search in.

also you can try the sub forum "Technical"

McNick
05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
it's been used, but search returns 500 results and only some of them is with oil AND pump words, which are required. Most are with oil OR pump, which are not necessary in my case. Hard to find needed info. Do not want to read about fuel pump, coolant pump, pan oil leak, axle sealing oil leak and so on. At least not now.

Generally: oil pump area is dirty with oil. Do not know exactly is it pump itself or gaskeets. Just want to read threads about same sympthoms to be prepared for real reason of leak... May be I have some chanse to repair the pump instead of replacing witn new one because the price for new pump is relativly high if compare to the car price. ;)

2 A20A1: Thanx for fast responce!

McNick2
05-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Up

McNick
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
So nobody use the phrase search?

88Accord-DX
05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Search normally just picks up the first word in a phrase. Pick the more meaningfull word out of what your looking for & search under that "word".

I don't search, but noticed how it works.

McNick
05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
search picks up all words of target phrase, but separatelly, with logical OR operation for all words.
btw what is more meaningfull word for "oil pump leaking" or so?

but the good news is that I'm not stupid because other member also met this problem.. :)

88Accord-DX
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Some of us have learning disabilities, "dooh , dah, dah"...

87accordlxi
05-31-2006, 05:49 AM
Searching for "oil pump" will take you to threads that contain the phrase "oil pump" somewhere in them. It will also highlight the words "oil" and "pump" throughout the thread.

McNick
05-31-2006, 06:19 AM
in a case of "oil pump" search IMHO give the "pump" only threads. "Oil" is ignored in a search script as a too short word even if oil mentioned and highlited eventually in a result threads.

with the "pump leaking" everything Ok. Both words are contained in each threads.

but _phrase_ searching IMHO will be nice usable tool to find something.

thanks to all :)

Swap_File
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I ran into a similar problem too. I like the upgraded board and all, but the limit on word length for searches, not being able to use "AND" in searches has made searching more difficult.

I have started using google to find pages with three letter words. If you search google for "oil pump site:www.3geez.com" it will find all mentions of oil AND pump on 3geez.com

EricW
07-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I've had to use google a few times also.

HostileJava
07-01-2006, 05:44 PM
The problem is by default vbulletin uses natural language searches, it does support boolean searches, but this is turned of by default and is a much more intense task for the server. If Joe thinks the server can handle it I know how to enable it.