PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have revalved bilsteins with progress/sprint/ST springs/GC coilovers??

Accordtheory
05-18-2006, 03:43 PM
All of those springs are pretty similar in spring rate, so the valving should be similar too..If you have bilsteins valved to match, let me know the rates? At slightly over $700, I can't afford to get the wrong valving. Jack French recommended 120comp/375 rebound for the front and 100/300 for the rear when I told him my front springs were about 70% stiffer than stock and the rears are about 2x as stiff as stock. Any of you guys have any thoghts/experience on this?

Strugglebucket
05-19-2006, 03:36 PM
the only person i know of who's posted about getting really specific with the revalving is w261w261.

here's what he posted:

OK, after 3 tries I've got it right. I originally ordered a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs (1 inch drop), and a full set of Bilstein shocks. I didn't know the front Bilsteins had to be revalved (the rears are fine). Upon installation, the front of the car pogo-sticked badly, so I ordered another set of front Bilsteins, and on the advice of Jack French there, had them revalved to 100 compression, 300 rebound (the original specs for them are 46/195). This +almost+ solved the bouncing, but not quite. After the original deflection, the car wouldn't come back as quickly as I liked, but it was very close. So I sent off the original pair and had them revalved to 110/340 (about a 10% increase over try #2)). Just got them on today, and this IS the setup for Eibach/Bilsteins. Any firmer on the shocks, and the ride would be too harsh with no gain.
To me, the extra 10% was worth spending the $65 per shock revalve charge + about $28 shipping + $100 to install. But others could probably live with the 100/300 shocks. I now have them as surplus. they're practically new, as they were on my car about 2 months. Anyone interested let me know.
ps: This has been a real educational experience for me. I had no idea about how important it was for the springs and the shocks to be matched correctly. I have had cars that others had modified in this way, and in retrospect, I think that most of my shocks were too firm, unnecessarily so. What you want is the initial deflection to come back and stop evenly, no more, no less. The problem is, without adjustable shocks, the process of getting to the optimal setup is expensive and time-consuming. I personally think the site here should come up with a list of shock/spring combos that have been tried and shown to be perfectly matched. That way the next guy down the line won't have to reinvent the wheel.

now, i have sprint springs but i'm using konis with the rebound at full stiffness. i think everyone else with the revalved bilsteins seems to have stuck with the 100/300 recommendation. somebody chime in if i'm wrong.

Accordtheory
05-20-2006, 12:06 PM
yeah, I read that post, but still that isn't enough info. Also, the konis don't have enough compression damping for the sprints, at their level of drop, in my opinion..

AZmike
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
yeah, I read that post, but still that isn't enough info. Also, the konis don't have enough compression damping for the sprints, at their level of drop, in my opinion..

That's surprising. Usually a higher spring rate requires less compression damping and additional rebound.

Accordtheory
05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
If the car wasn't lowered, but just had a stiffer spring at the stock ride height, then it wouldn't necessarily benefit form an increase in compression damping, but I think a lowered car definitely can.

well, shit. No one has any input for me on here or on h-t, so I guess I'm about to just follow Jack's recommendations..

88LXi68
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I think GoldyAccord had GCs and revalved Bilsteins...and then he sold them to someone else from Washington, I think it may have been bobafet.

I dont know if this will help, but I have GCs with Konis all around and the ride is firm, but the rear bounces a little bit. This is lowered to about a 2finger gap all around with stock GCs and Konis set to full rebound. If you can get the specs of the stock Konis you could work from there.

SteveDX89
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
I'm pretty sure my rear Bilsteins were revalved to 300/100. I have the Sprint springs and there's no bounce. Personally, as stiff as the springs are, it would be a little nicer to have a smidge of bounce. There's nothing to soften the rebound and it stops abruptly making the ride relatively harsh.

Accordtheory
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
stiff=good..
..I just ordered these bitches, I hope it works out..