PDA

View Full Version : Check out the LXi I'm getting 2nite for $200!!!

aerokid1987
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Ok I found this on craigslist the other nite and I'm picking it up this eve!!! Just needs a timing belt. I'll probly use parts off of my 89 and fix this one up for my daily driver. Looks like it's in pretty good shape, but even if it isn't its still worth only $200! I'ts a five speed LXi, HUGE improvement over my freekin slow auto LX.
http://b.im.craigslist.org/Kg/Kd/pV1cn9G2eJ8F6EwwjV0NTIynioJx.jpghttp://b.im.craigslist.org/n5/NE/BaGENchdcYyhok4md7RDaY5FR0Wp.jpg

w261w261
05-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey! 200 bucks!

There's been a lot of back-and-forth on this board about whether the motor is interference or not. Both sides swear they're right. Gates.com (makes timing belts) says it's interference, but others have said they've cranked the engine over by hand without hitting a valve.

Anyway, if it needs a belt, I'd make sure the valves haven't been bent before you put any money into it.

Hey! 200 bucks! GL

Pico
05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Looks Clean:cheers:
Post up some more pics when you get it....:D

Mike's89AccordLX
05-19-2006, 11:52 AM
I can tell you from experience that when your timing belt breaks and you try to turn over the motor without knowing it has broken you will bend the crap out of your valves.

It happend to me about a month after I got my car. So I have some first hand experience about this situation.

A20A1
05-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey! 200 bucks!
There's been a lot of back-and-forth on this board about whether the motor is interference or not. Both sides swear they're right. Gates.com (makes timing belts) says it's interference, but others have said they've cranked the engine over by hand without hitting a valve.
Anyway, if it needs a belt, I'd make sure the valves haven't been bent before you put any money into it.
Hey! 200 bucks! GL

Maybe if you cranked it by hand but using the starter... I dunno.

aerokid1987
05-22-2006, 05:12 AM
Well I towed it back on saturday nite from downtown philly(quite an adventure) and it's not in bad shape. It has 290K on the clock, but if all it needs is a belt and I'm good to go then I think I'll be keeping this one and selling or parting out my LX. The interior isn't in the greatest shape but it's not that bad. I might swap my seats since my LX's interior is in mint condition. The engine looks clean and it seems that the car in general hasn't been beat on at all. I'm going to be removing the head and checking out the valves and such tonight so wish me luck. If it ends up being that the valves are bent then how easy is it to swap EFI and a five speed tranny as I might do that if the engine isn't worth fixing on the LXi.
The guy I bought it from said that the belt went while he was sitting at a red light so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well with the head. I'll post more pics soon...