PDA

View Full Version : Manual Vs Auto?

Red88Hatch
08-24-2002, 11:57 PM
What do you guys prefer?????? I have a manual, but im having trouble trying to watch everything at once.. i think i just need to practice (i just got my permit :( ) so i am a true newb when it comes to cars, but i was wondering the good points and bad points to Each??

netfreak
08-25-2002, 12:59 AM
I enjoy driving an automatic for my daily use (going to work, etc). Manuals are great if you're planning on racing or doing track runs, or just enjoy the power.

pimp86LX
08-25-2002, 01:49 AM
manuel all the way!! you have so much more control

87_2LSi_au
08-25-2002, 02:13 AM
My car is an Auto but I like Manual more

YK86
08-25-2002, 02:15 AM
Auto is great if you have to drive in rush hour lots. That's about the only reason I would want an auto.

pimp86LX
08-25-2002, 02:40 AM
ohya anyone in my area would agree that the DVP and QEW and 401 are hell in rush hour, an auto would be great. My first car was a standard and it was great for learning (actually i learned how to drive a tractor first) but my 3g is auto :-(

Jims 86LXI HB
08-25-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Red88Hatch
What do you guys prefer?????? I have a manual, but im having trouble trying to watch everything at once.. i think i just need to practice (i just got my permit :( ) so i am a true newb when it comes to cars, but i was wondering the good points and bad points to Each??

Just hang in their guy. Our cars don't have the best shifter action in the world. BUT!,......they work extreamly well when it comes to being able to bang off quick smooth shifts. When ever I had people in my car other than my family, they'd be in the car for awhile and they'd suddenly say, "does this car have a automatic"?. Well no, you see me shifting, right? Just practice and change your clutch action untill you get it right. You may want to try it with you clutch foot on the floor or off the floor. Gear changes that are much faster and just as smooth if not smoother than the automatic are possible to do all the time, just practice. And that's without any kind of shift kit installed, stock only.

Red88Hatch
08-25-2002, 03:23 PM
um well, i suck on hills majorly......im too afraid ill hit the bastard behind me that i rev the engine really high and gun it..... :lol

Is there anything wrong that i can do that would cause damage to the car? like tips on whats gonna cost me money...if i break it by driving wrong

88Ex-i
08-25-2002, 06:15 PM
i have auto.......but in 2 months, it'll be swapped out for manuel......:)

Neuspeed87lx
08-25-2002, 06:19 PM
yea hang in there you will get the hang of it ....i prefer standard too ...you are in control...just let the clutch out slowly

Red88Hatch
08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
i might need a new clutch after im done with learning...not that im slow or anything, i just ilke panic sometimes becuz i havnt driven before and driving a manaul for starting out is a lot of work.....not to sound like a pussy or anything :)

Mike89Accordcom
08-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Yeah I love auto, both my cars are auto. I like to just chill when I drive. Although I really enjoy driving a stick, it's fun if theres no traffic.

Sabz5150
08-26-2002, 04:43 AM
Manual. Nothing less. The control along with the minimal upkeep as compared to an auto is well worth it.

-5150 :bandit:

RedneckRicer
08-26-2002, 10:39 AM
manual 4life, lol, i had an auto in my 3g, the 5 speed is the best mod possible.... probably cuz 7 auto trannys ate it and died on me, but 5 speed is better once you have it down....btw, the trannys on these are bitches, so i'd see about being as easy as you can on the clutch, lol

Chubs87Accord
08-26-2002, 11:39 AM
dude, i know where youre comin from... i only have my permit too... the first car i got to drive was a BRAND NEW manual RSX.... i was scared shitless... goin up a hil i was goin 10 mph cause i was too scared to shift and whack into soeone else and have my friend kick my ass for scratching his car, lol.... but it was fun... takes a long time to get used to it... im a pretty good driver now... but just getting into driving i love autos a lot... but someday i may have a manual :lol:

Thorny88Lx
08-26-2002, 12:48 PM
I have an auto --- I would like a 5-Speed though

87accordlxi
08-26-2002, 02:15 PM
as a primary vehicle, id prefer an auto. ive been in way too many situations where my leg has gotten cramped and ive just become sick of the whole shifting ordeal. what the hell do i care about more control when im in stop and go traffic or just going from traffic light to traffic light? i dont enjoy redlining my engine, nor do i try to race people, and there are no fun twisty roads on my way to work.

but for a second vehicle that doesnt get used as much, a 5 speed would work well. kind of like an "escape vehicle" that i can enjoy when i have little else to do.

Red88Hatch
08-26-2002, 03:33 PM
ah yes, an ecsape vehicle...like when you hit the truck or car behind you stopped on a steep hill......you speed off quick and hope he doesnt remember your license plate? heh..yeah thats a pretty good way to put it joe, when i get older thats prolly what ill have (an auto every day driver, and a second manual vehicle for the hell of it)

86Accordian_EXi
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Manual all the way every way. :D

Well i would love 2 have everything auto except the transmission. With auto u just can't get that feeling. Manual gets u that extra pickup when u need it. Autos r best 4 driving in traffic n when travelling long distances.

lolzz but i have a Full auto lollzzz.

{"Peace"}

DarknessRS
08-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Manual Transmission requires a lot less maintainance, and its much cheaper to repair compared to an Automatic tranny

87accordlx
08-28-2002, 10:28 AM
i'll tell you what my dad told me when i first started driving stickshift, when you are stopped on a hill and worried about hitting the asshole that pulled up 4 inches off your bumper, pull up the emergency brake but keep the button pushed in and put the car in 1st, when the light turns green you can now take off like normal and when you feel the car start to pull let down the emergency brake, even now i still have to do this sometimes when the woman in her minivan pulls up too close to me on a hill

RedneckRicer
08-28-2002, 10:36 AM
lol, after i did the 5 speed swap, i know exactly what you mean:werd:, my mom told me the same thing bout 3 years ago

Red88Hatch
08-28-2002, 10:49 AM
what do you mean by the Ebrake thing? like when it turns green rev the engine , then drop the brake off, then let off the clutch?

87accordlx
08-28-2002, 12:05 PM
with the ebrake on you can't roll backwards, you don't even need to rev it high, just do it like you were taking off on a level surface and when you feel the clutch start to grip and pull forward let off the ebrake, you should practice at a hill that isn't busy, cause when i tried this i stalled the car a few times till i got the hang of it

good luck

89accordlxi
08-28-2002, 12:18 PM
I can't believe this thread went through this many posts and no one has mentioned that this is a transmission question, so why is it under the appearance section. Any way, now that's off my chest.

I have an auto but would prefer manual. But sometimes it is just easier to not have to worry about shifting...

i'm out

89BlackH-Back
08-28-2002, 02:57 PM
i love my 5 speed i feel lazy when im driving an automatic

RedneckRicer
08-28-2002, 03:06 PM
lol, maybe people think we look cooler when we mob with a 5 speed?