PDA

View Full Version : im getting 19-23 mpg!!!!! HELP!!!!

mkymonkey
05-21-2006, 05:24 AM
I DONT KNOW HOW THIS HAPPEND BUT IM GETTING ROUGHLY AROUND 19-23 MPG!!!! it sucks. its only happened the last two full tanks. not before. i think im having an idle problem but then again i dont. my tach needle bounces up and down but the car doesnt make different noises. by that i mean the rev doesnt go up and down with the needle. i know i need to change my water pump but i dont think that would cause any of this right? the pump leaks quite a bit of water/antifreeze over night so i know for a fact i need to change it. but other than that the only thing i can think of that is causing this would be my fuel filter. from what i can tell...my idle speed is roughly around 850-1200 so i think im around stock specs lol. MY mods include

Custom CAI
MSD Blaster coil
NGK spark plugs
NGK spark wires

i had a 4g map sensor and thought that was the cause of all of this so i took it out this last time i filled up the tank. so once i run out ill have to calculate how much mpg is doing. so far so good. im at 160mi and at a third of the tank. so i dont know. what do you guys think the cause of MY problem is?

edit.
i also drive a lot. i try to shift between 3-4k and dont drive at OT. oh and by driving a lot i mean i've filled my tank twice in a day...and that was last week.

so help please...i know i should search for the idle threads but they give me a headache since they're like 400 pages long :(

Nospeed
05-21-2006, 06:08 AM
ummmmmmmmmmm.

hu.

well...thats bad. i thought a jumping tach meant your dizzy is gonna crap on you. also, try shifting between 2.5-3k. just that little bit helps...i know, i drive alot too.

snoopyloopy
05-21-2006, 06:18 AM
welcome to the club.

A20A1
05-21-2006, 09:29 AM
try a simple thing like inspecting the battery cables, both ends and cleaninng the ends that touch the battery and the battery posts. also other ground wires.

gfrg88
05-21-2006, 09:31 AM
:welcome:

gfrg88
05-21-2006, 09:37 AM
try a simple thing like inspecting the battery cables, both ends and cleaninng the ends that touch the battery and the battery posts. also other ground wires.

can this really make a difference in gas milage???`1

shepherd79
05-21-2006, 07:28 PM
try this
1. inspect and may be replace distributor cap and rotor. they may look good but they can be worn out on the inside.
2. Change the water pump. You are loosing coolant. without coolant the car will go into cold start mode since fast idle valve won't be getting hot coolant. change it and fill it to the top. don't forget to bleed the system.
3. inspect your fuel filler pipe and gas tank. when you open your gas tank you should hear whooshing sound. with out pressure in the gas tank your car will run like crap. How do i know? I just went through that with my car. My gas filler pipe was rusted and it couldn't hold the pressure so my car ran like crap. I had worst gas mileage than my carbed accord back in days. So check it and may be get yourself new gas cap.
4. Inspect or replace O2 sensor. You can get universal one very cheap.

mkymonkey
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
thats funny that you say the o2 sensor thing. i got the code for it about two weeks ago. havent fixed it and the check engine light went off so i didnt think much of it. it only went on for about 5 mins...after i checked the code it didnt come back on. anyway, i do have pressure in my gas tank cuz i know everytime im like on the redline of E and i open the tank it goes on for about a sec and a half. whoooooooooooooooooooooooshe! lol i suspected the rotor and cap needed to be replaced too. so i guess i have some stuff do to to my car huh.

lol

thats it im going to start another cali meet thread so people help me with my car. beer, working on a car, and friends=a good time!

B16KILLA
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
thats it im going to start another cali meet thread so people help me with my car. beer, working on a car, and friends=a good time!

Sweet, maybe we can also put on my b18 manifold while we're at it.:)

Strugglebucket
05-22-2006, 08:15 PM
i think you might have a bad o2 sensor. the code will only show up if you run the car at a steady throttle position for about 10 minutes. every time you turn off the ignition the pgmfi light will go away, so don't think the problem itself went away. the code will still be on your ecu unless you reset it.

Ludi Mali
05-22-2006, 08:51 PM
i know that happened to me over the winter, i went from getting 400+ miles a tank to under 300. But you live somewhere warm so i doubt theres a corrolation

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I was getting 283 to a tank with a20 before the trany went Bye Bye.By the way that not freeway .On the freeway i got about 450 to a tank.

A20A1
05-22-2006, 09:04 PM
can this really make a difference in gas milage???`1

well if something required 12volts to run properly and only got 7 volts then there might be problems. Look at all the sensors on the car, if something isn't right with the electrical system it might think it's running lean when it isn't or give a weaker spark because of the poor connections.

gfrg88
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Sweet, maybe we can also put on my b18 manifold while we're at it.:)

yeah and maybe we can get my car to run good :rant:

86-accord-lxi
05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I decided to keep my 86 lxi sedan, As some of you know I was trying to sell it, But She has been treating me good. The only major problem I am having is horrible gas mileage. Im getting about 280 miles to a tank.
I have done major tune up in the past 2 months, Had the head rebuilt,
new plugs, wires, etc... When I first bought it the transmission was shot,
so I replaced it with an auto transmission from a 89 dx sedan. Could this have anything to do with the gas mileage ? I finallly got the T.V cable adjusted right and it shifts around 3000-3500 rpm. Also sometimes I'll be driving with the heat and a/c off , But can still feel warm air coming from the floor and If I turn the temperature down it makes the air coming through cooler. Lately it hasn't been doing that, But I thought it was weird.
I also get the code 12 bullshit all the time, I tried cleaning the egr valve, and
the egr solenoid thing in the mystery box to no avail. Other than that she runs great. I wish I could get the small shit worked out and get better gas mileage.

halxi
05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I DONT KNOW HOW THIS HAPPEND BUT IM GETTING ROUGHLY AROUND 19-23 MPG!!!! it sucks. its only happened the last two full tanks. not before. i think im having an idle problem but then again i dont. my tach needle bounces up and down but the car doesnt make different noises. by that i mean the rev doesnt go up and down with the needle. i know i need to change my water pump but i dont think that would cause any of this right? the pump leaks quite a bit of water/antifreeze over night so i know for a fact i need to change it. but other than that the only thing i can think of that is causing this would be my fuel filter. from what i can tell...my idle speed is roughly around 850-1200 so i think im around stock specs lol. MY mods include
Custom CAI
MSD Blaster coil
NGK spark plugs
NGK spark wires
i had a 4g map sensor and thought that was the cause of all of this so i took it out this last time i filled up the tank. so once i run out ill have to calculate how much mpg is doing. so far so good. im at 160mi and at a third of the tank. so i dont know. what do you guys think the cause of MY problem is?
edit.
i also drive a lot. i try to shift between 3-4k and dont drive at OT. oh and by driving a lot i mean i've filled my tank twice in a day...and that was last week.
so help please...i know i should search for the idle threads but they give me a headache since they're like 400 pages long :(

130miles at 1/3 tank.... i was at 130miles at just over 1/2 tank.... thats pathetic man... and i didnt even have my o2 sensors plugged in.

But that leads me to what im going to say lol

check your o2 sensors and check your fuel filter/injectors. Run some sea-foam and make sure nothings backed up.

mkymonkey
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
yeah thats actually what i think the problem is. but my problem right now is that my water pump kinda exploded. im not kidding there wes fluid everywhere! its going to the shop tomorrow. i ordered an OEM pump from honda so im waiting on that but it should get here tomorrow. after that im going to run seafoam and change the o2's. for now the car sits in my tow yard :D

king86
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Seafoam works wonders. i used it and am gettin great mileage. filled up and got almost 200 to jus over a half. at least i think it was 200..
Seafoam is real fun. Big black clouds of smoke, and a headache if you breath in:squint:

mkymonkey
05-30-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah i cant wait! im so excited that i just can uh....fight it!

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Well just went through my first tank of gas with the b20a i put 13.5 gallons in and i got 294 miles on tank it not bad at all and that was in town driveing no freeway driveing.

dillirk
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Seafoam??????

dillirk
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
im having the same problem. stuck at about 22 miles a gallon. I changed the wires plubs cap roter and ALL of the temp sensors. I did notice cyl 3 and 4 were running so rich the plugs looked fouled and 1 and 2 looked like they should except for signs of detonation. now that Ive run it for a few weeks its starting to miss again and I never got my mileage back. last year on interstate I was getting 28-29 mpg depending on speed. I do have the teg trans in mine so it wont be as good as stock mpg.

dillirk
07-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah... I keep getting engine code 2, O2 sensor B. So I switched the plugs on the two sensors thinking if one is bad it should tell me O2 A is bad next time... Still says code 2 even after reseting ecu

2drSE-i
07-17-2006, 08:30 PM
alright when i was getting 20 mpg:
first, i replaced o2 sensors, got 23....i was pissed cuz i thought that was it. Then, replaced cap, rotor, and sparkplug, now im happily getting 30 on highway and 28 in city. Id say do the ignition and o2 sensors.

Strugglebucket
07-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh yeah... I keep getting engine code 2, O2 sensor B. So I switched the plugs on the two sensors thinking if one is bad it should tell me O2 A is bad next time... Still says code 2 even after reseting ecu
if you switch the plugs then the ecu is looking at the wrong primary. so it gets signal from one sensor and then adjusts the fuel to the other two cylinders causing you to get a code real fast.

dillirk
07-17-2006, 11:59 PM
so witch one is witch. I know the plug with the blue/red wire is B but witch sensor is B?

Strugglebucket
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
i'm not sure which is which. the plugs from the sensors are green for one and white for the other and have matching colored sockets that they plug into. the green plug o2 sensor should be installed in the bung on the merge of the #2 and#3 cylinders (the one closer to the distributor side of the engine) and the white plug o2 sensor should be installed on the bung on the #1 and #4 merge (closer to timing belt side). does that help?

dillirk
07-18-2006, 12:24 AM
yes thanx I will fix them tomorrow and check the plugs again. Im hoping to get this fixed befor I leave for Vegas wed night

dillirk
07-18-2006, 06:45 PM
fixed it. No More CEL. So the O2 Sensor closest to the dizzy is O2 B. I also Checked the vacume advance and it wasn't holding vacume at either port so I made a Quick run to Junk and found one that was... 5 bucks YAY!!! I haven't driven it yet but it revs so much quicker now I hope this solves my MPH and my emissions. Thanks for the help!!!

dillirk
07-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Back from Vegas... 29 MPG at 75 mph with A/C and 91 octane. I did switch the A/C on and off to help with economy. I did notice I have an electrical problem now. Im thinking bad ground. On to the hyper ground thread.

ccotm
08-10-2006, 01:55 AM
I am getting exactly 21/gallon in my 87 accord lx...it is carbed. Should I still be getting a better fuel efficiency that 21? I have been ever since I got the car...except twice...I got 300 to the tank...I normally get 240-260. Any Ideas?

MECM
08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
:wtf: my car got like 120 last time I got a full tank. and my dad said that was normal for me driving in town. SHIT.

MessyHonda
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
:wtf: my car got like 120 last time I got a full tank. and my dad said that was normal for me driving in town. SHIT.

that is bad(can you say tune up time)...yeah that is bad mgp unless you never shift from 1st gear....i get at least 300 in city and 420 on hwy

ross1887
07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I had bad gas mileage (around 20 mpg) and idle fluctuation in my 89 lxi, so I finally changed the tw sensor (coolant sensor). After that the idle fluctuation went away, and I got much better gas mileage (around 29 mpg). The car seemed to run a little better too. Hope this helps!

ghettogeddy
07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
digging up old threads isent gona help your gas millage lol

84Accord
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
i drive my car hard and i get about 26mpg

2oodoor
07-29-2008, 03:58 AM
digging up old threads isent gona help your gas millage lol

yes it will, he searched !!! yay

Tdurr
07-29-2008, 08:11 AM
lol this thread acutally helped me so hes cool in my book :)
~TDR

MessyHonda
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
searching is a very good thing...