PDA

View Full Version : Please offer your opinion! I am in quite the predicament.

ice_cold_ian
05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a 4 Door 1987 Honda Accord LX Auto Transmission. I have owned it for about 2 years, and its been a fairly good car. When I purchased it, it cost me $400 to safety (Valve Seals, 2 new tires, windshield washer hose, headlight bulb). (plus I paid $1400 for the car). Since then, I have had to repair the following
-New Alternator $450 (twice - I think the garage screwed up the first time though, so second time around I only had to pay $60.00 {50%} of Labour, and the part was still under warranty)
- Drive Rack $850
- Starter $350
^all above includes labour

Now my Transmission fluid is leaking. I took it to a transmission shop, and it is a gasket from between the 2 case halves. Apparently labour to repair that is quite expensive, and I would be looking about about $650 - $700 to fix the gasket. I have tried 2 different ATF stop leaks, including Lukus’ product. Neither worked. There is also a hole in the Exhaust, and the Air Conditioning doesn’t work. Everything else functions well - mint. Cars paint job is brilliant, and there is very little rust. The car was also written off many years ago, before I purchased it.

I always questioned people when they said they were going to trade in their 3gee, I assumed anyone who owned such a amazing vehicle would want to keep it until the day it died. However, I find myself wanting to trade this vehicle in on a 2007 Toyota Yaris or a Honda Accord from the 98 - 2000 years (with the NSX tale lights). Its nothing against the car I love it to death, I am just not sure I can afford another $700 repair bill with the high risk of another break down shortly afterwards. What is your opinions, being that you are 3 gee experts. My accord has 4 Alpine Speakers, Audiovox Prestige Alarm, Panasonic Motorized Face Plate, and the above mentioned new parts. It has only 189,000KM (118,000 Miles).

Thanks guys

A20A1
05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
2007 Toyota Yaris or learn to do the repairs yourself and save thousands in labor.

Selfmindead
05-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I think it would easily be cheaper to fix the 3g over buying a new car, these sort of problems aren’t too major, even newer car could have the same problems unless you know how its been treated in the past. I say fix the 3g.
Remember these cars a quite old now so little things here & there will need replacing. Better the devil you know...

speedpenguin
05-22-2006, 04:36 AM
If you're trading it in, I'd get the Fit over the Yaris.
I've been in your position numerous times, and every time I've ended up sticking with my car, but that's just me.
If you're really worried about having another repair bill like that, then you should probably get a new car. There's no guarantee that a used one won't give you the same problems, unless you're certain it hasn't been treated like crap.

AccordEpicenter
05-22-2006, 06:26 PM
i dont think there actually is a gasket between the case halfs... isnt it just hondabonded?

3G Jester
05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
learn to work on the damned car yourself! i had to teach myself everything. my dad only taught me how to CHECK my oil..let alone change it. this website helped me emmensly in my 3rd gen follies. so either learn to fix it yourself. or if you can get something new....
right now...in my situation...one income for my wife and our daughter (military pays decent but not great) i would get the yaris. but damned if those 6th gen coupes arent sexy as hell :D :D
what engine? 4 or 6 cyl?

forrest89sei
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
If you're trading it in, I'd get the Fit over the Yaris.
I've been in your position numerous times, and every time I've ended up sticking with my car, but that's just me.
If you're really worried about having another repair bill like that, then you should probably get a new car. There's no guarantee that a used one won't give you the same problems, unless you're certain it hasn't been treated like crap.

download the Service manual off http://Pauldesign.ru it's the EUDM manual so it's for your car, these cars are easy to work on.

if you decide the repair cost is too much then PART IT OUT on the FORUM!

If you get a New Car get a FIT or if your in the UK get a FIT or a Citroën Berlingo Multispace

ex1z7
05-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Hmm.. car payments = 300-400/month.. interest.. higher insurance on a newer car.. more expensive services (unless covered under warranty?).. And it'll depreciate like a broken window.. Even with fixing things that'll break on your 3g, it'll cost you 1/3rd what it'll cost you to get a new car.

If you learn to fix things yourself.. 1/4 or 1/5th.

Plus 3gees are sexiest of all c'mon ;)

Swap_File
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
i dont think there actually is a gasket between the case halfs... isnt it just hondabonded?

http://random-m.com/images/1234130939_13se00_c03.gif
http://random-m.com/images/856995869_13se00_c04.gif
I think #5 and #4 are the gaskets he was talking about. The pictures are for the automatic transmission, but the manual is similar.

I think I also remember hearing about someone spreading RTV silicone sealant on the stock gaskets to make sure they seal good.

Can some sort of RTV sealant used alone instead of the gaskets?

detroit313
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
FUCK! those labor costs are a MoFo! are you going to the dealer or some shit?
i would keep it now. shit,you replaced half the car already. i agree with ex127....
by the time you get a loan for a new car and insurance your gonna be topping $400 monthly!
i happened to get lucky to find my car ('88 lx-i)
my 98 grand cherokee bit the dust 6 months after paying the bitch off. trans went! i didnt have the cash for the replacement..something like $3000 for the whole shot ( i sold the jeep for $1500)
i got my '88 lxi from a MD i work with who had it since '88(original owner)
i was gonna drive it till i got a new car,im not into foreign japanese shit personally! but i paid $200 for it and it only had around 90,000 miles on it...MINT as all hell to with no rust!
after a while i figured....why buy a new car? this one is paid for and it gets over 33 MPG! insurance is only like $30 something a month.
i saved thousands between car payments and insurance already! i found myself loving this jappy ass car......i trust it more than i ever did my jeep(damn i hate to say that)
really something to think about man............

ice_cold_ian
05-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, i do appricate it...
Insurance on my 87 Accord is like $40 bi weekly the Yaris is going to be $65 bi weekly... And it is a little better on gas.
I test drove one today, and i really liked it. I got all the numbers figured out, and for the 3 door its going to be about $218/monthly for the 5 Door it will be like $226/monthly..
Thats with $1000 down and $800 for trade in on my Accord.

I am fairly confident i will end up doing the trade in - It breaks my heart... I love that car more than life it self. But i am sooo bucy with University, and trying to maintain 2 part time jobs (to be fair one of the jobs is only 15 hours per month) and i can't begin to learn how to fix my car.

You guys could be right, at the Transmission shop he said it might not be a gasket, but some sort of a sylicone that Honda used. It is a Automatic Transmission.

If i decide to go fourth with this, you guys are welcome to put in an offer on my accord - as long as its around $1000 Canadian Dollars.
(4 Alpine Speakers, Motorized Panasonic Flip deck, Audiovox Prestiege Alarm, New Drive Rack, New Starter, New Alternater. Paint job brilliant, there are alot of pics of the car i posted in the pics section a while ago).....

ice_cold_ian
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Here is the link to some pics of my ride.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47495