PDA

View Full Version : How to: replacing Distributor O'ring / Gasket

mhopton
05-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Can someone give a quick how to on changing the distributor gasket while making sure that the engine doesn't go out of time? This is an 89 LX, carb'd model. I'm not sure where the o'ring is in the distributor and/or which bolts need to be removed to access it. Also, if anyone has the o'ring part #, let me know. I don't see how the one I bought can fit, it's round with square blocks molded into the rubber.

thanks,
mike

89accorder
05-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Its easy, after you take it off just put it back on in the exact same direction. the worst that can happen is that you will install it 180 degs. out, and if that happens all you have to do it simply take it back off and rotate the dist drive shaft 180degs. The gasket should just be a thick "O" or "D" ring. i think that there are two or three bolts holding the dist on.

Accordaone
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
On a carbed engine, there are two bolts-scribe the one that is adjustable to get back where you were timing wise, remove both bolts, pull the dist. out, replace the o-ring,(you apparently have the gasket for the cover)replace the dist.-the end of the dist. and the camshaft are offset, making it impossible to get 180 degrees out of time-replace the two bolts, line the scribed mark up if you don't have a timing lite, and off to the races. Good luck.

smufguy
05-29-2006, 12:35 PM
If the gasket is Round, then ur prolly looking at a Hitachi Distributor whose Gasket part number is 49401 (also called as Rubber Seal). The O-Ring is a black rubber ring at the end of the distributor shaft which can be cut with a small knife (the rubber is probably brittle) and taken out. the O-ring part number is 20310. WHen u are ready to install, clean off the O-Ring region using a carb cleaner or some kind of automotive degreaser, and then coat the new O-Ring with fresh motor oil and slide it over the shaft and make sure it is compleatly seated in place. Then install the distributor. As mentioned above, the Distributor only goes in one way. so ur timing will always be right.

Kabuki
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Tec Distributor O-Ring part number is 30110-PA1-732,
while the Hitachi unit is 30110-PC6-000. Honda probably won't carry the Hitachi unit anymore. I haven't checked with them lately, but two years ago they clamed that the Tec unit was "close enough", and stopped carrying the Hitachi. I have a supplier that orders them directly from Ishino, so if you guys can't find them, then I'd be happy to mail one out to you.