PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Fuel Pump replacement

Mario Calero
05-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Last week my original Honda Fuel pump broke down ( according to a mechanic ) and I had it replace three days later but here in Nicaragua is extremely difficult and expensive to find another original Honda Fuel pump, the mechanic just installed a new one, but according to him, it was from a Mitsubishi car and it was fully compatible with my Honda ( Honda Accord LX 1987 Carbureted ), my doubt is : My original fuel pump was quiet all the time, no noise at all, now, with this new compatible fuel pump, a noticeable noise sounds all the time, not a big noise but I could say my motor is quitter than this fuel pump, I don't know why, it sounds all the time, the mechanic says that okay, it doesn't matter but I'm not happy with it, I love my quiet Honda, and now I have to listen to this pump all the time... unfortunately I'm extremely new to cars and if someone says this is normal, I don't have the backing to say No.

So this is my question: How many pounds of pressure does a compatible fuel pump should be able to make? My mechanic says this one makes 30 pounds (is it ok?) Is there any way I could see a diagram of my whole fuel system ( from Carburetor to the gas tank ) just to print out and check it out with another mechanic? I've had this car for about 15 months, my first car, I've always complain for low mileage, now I'm a little bit worried about gas consumption with this new fuel pump, I want to make sure everything is ok.

Could I see some pictures of how this fuel pump should be connected, installed, replaced? Maybe this noise comes from a bad installation routine.

Sorry for this kind of question, silly question, simple, but I really don't know, all I have as professional mechanical support is all the help I can get from 3geez.

Thank you guys.

Mario Calero
Managua, Nicaragua

Accordaone
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Mario: Sorry I can't help with most of your questions, but my 89 LX tech. manual calls for a delivery pressure of 2.6-3.3 psi. There is a refief valve on the Honda pumps that protects from over pressure. Don't know if Mitsubishi has the same-hope so. Good luck on your quest for knowledge.

smufguy
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry to reply late to this thread. but here is your answer.

a Carb system like your's operates at a 2.6-3.3psi of fuel pressure while the Efi (fuel injection) system operates on 33-39psi of fuel pressure.

that said, a efi fuel pump displaces 230ccs in 10 seconds, which converts to 82.8lbs/hr, which is the flow rate of the pump, not the pressure of the pump.

If you do a linear conversion, a carb fuel pump should come out to an even 7lbs/hr using max operation pressures of the pumps.

30lbs on the mitsubishi pump is something i am unaware of. I dont know if the 30lbs means the operation pressure of the pump or the flow rate of the pump. Either way, its too high for a carb motor like yours.

My car is fuel injected and months back, my fuel pump died on me. not willing to spend 120 bux on a replacement stock pump, i purchased a camaro z28 pump for 65 bux, installed it after splicing the wires and running them the right way and re-installing it and adjusting the fuel pressure on my regulator. The pump is loud and you can hear it when it primes and when it runs. The noise kinda grew on me so its okay now and i am not that concerned anymore and works great.

Our pumps, either its for a carb or efi, they all run the same wiring, just two. One positive and One negative. THe positive wire is yellow and the negative is black. So run those on your pump after checking the polarity on the spec sheet that came with the pump. Some pumps can run both ways if wired wrong, while some just burn up if wired wrong. So either way, make sure you wire the pump correctly.