PDA

View Full Version : How much$$$

FORFREE
05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I was woundring how much it would cost to rebild the my engine on a 1989 Honda Accord LX (Carb)? Just a typical rebild new gaskets and cleaning stuff no pefromace stuff to it. just getting it back to factory? and my next question is how much would it cost a machine shop to over bore my cylander .02? any aroud about brices will be nice

mkymonkey
05-22-2006, 12:49 PM
about 800 i think someone has done one for that much.

speedpenguin
05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
You wanna do it yourself or get someone to do it for you?
You'll save a lot of money doing it yourself, but as they say, time is money.

ex1z7
05-22-2006, 06:25 PM
doing it yourself IF you have the space and IF you have another car to drive.. Time doesn't matter much if you don't need for a while.. You'll save an assload of money rebuilding the engine yourself, but I suggest getting help from someone who's done piston installs etc. Little things you can mess up without supervision ;).

And you could rebuild and go EFI as you're at it for the same cost as getting it done professionally rebuilt + remaining carb'ed, if you did it yourself.

Something to consider.

shepherd79
05-23-2006, 05:06 AM
You can get rebuild kit for under $400 from autozone (last time i checked was 2 years ago).

Blkblurr
05-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I spent $420 having my head rebuilt with new valve guides and seals, head milled .008 and new valve seat ground. I spent $120 for a gasket kit to do this that contained the valve guides and seals as well as the head gasket can shaft seal, distributor seal etc. I did nothing to the lower end though. I did all the work myself with the exception of the head work.

88Accord-DX
05-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Price to rebuild the engine can vary on the shape of the block. The least amount of machine work, the cheaper. Have the head rebuilt.

Cost me about $16 for one cylinder to be bored. Personally, I spent little over $1,000 to do it myself...

MessyHonda
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Price to rebuild the engine can vary on the shape of the block. The least amount of machine work, the cheaper. Have the head rebuilt.
Cost me about $16 for one cylinder to be bored. Personally, I spent little over $1,000 to do it myself...

i agree...but it also depends on who u know and what kind of hook up you can get.

FORFREE
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
well i know how to fix the cylinder from scraches. And i can do al the work wit a lil help from my cuz but how much will gaskets and all the stuff u have to replace? but if i do overbore by .02 how much will that cost?

Kabuki
05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
An oversized piston set would probably be in the $150-200 range from most parts stores. I had my F22B1 resleeved and overbored by two millimeters (from 85->87) to accept some stock P14 pistons (from an H23A1) for about $280 two years ago. No headwork, but a complete valvegrind/head rebuild from the same machine shop usually costs us about $350. On the other hand, I overhauled (rings, bearings, gaskets, seals) a D16Z6 for my CR-X for about $400 in parts. But then, I have all of the tools, like the cylinder hone and valve spring compressors at my disposal for free.

If anyone was interested, I can put together a whole rebuild kit (pistons and everything) for about $400 shipped (depending upon everything required).