PDA

View Full Version : hazard lights

bigal004321
05-23-2006, 04:53 AM
alright so they take like 15 seconds or so till they will turn on... im assuming its the hazard switch itself... i searched and only thing i found basically was to spare some wd-40 in the switch and move it back and forth to clean it out... this wouldnt harm the switch? if that dosent work should i take the column apart? how would i get about doing that, i read something about taking the steering wheel off first and that sounds like a pain just to get to the switch...

what other things should i look at first?

Blkblurr
05-23-2006, 08:54 AM
You need to take the steering wheel off to get to the switch as I remember. The E flasher switch gets dirty and the old grease becomes sticky and non conductive. Once the wheel is off you have easy access to take the switch apart and clean all the copper contacts. I cleaned mine with lacuer thinner then used fine sand paper to remove the oxides from the copper. I lubed it again with a lithium grease and put it back together. before you remove the steering wheel, mark the position of the wheel with respect tothe center spline of the column so you get it back on in the same position.

bigal004321
05-23-2006, 09:04 AM
would spraying wd-40 in there hurt anything? i was going to try that first and see how it works

bigal004321
05-24-2006, 08:05 AM
*update* i sprayed some wd-40 in the hazard switch and moved it back and forth and all is good now.. also changed the fuel filter which the fluid that came out of it was dirty!!! found a vacum line not hooked up hopefully that was causing my egr code... pretty good day

Blkblurr
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Great!! Never tried that before.