PDA

View Full Version : Acetone Test Proved Successful

dalinxz
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
So I decided to hop on the bandwagon and put in 100ml with a full tank of gas I finished the tank and calculated, at my fillup time I still had 7 litres left from the 60l tank and my mileage was 640km, I think the test was very successful since usually i only get 500-550km with one tank, heres a picture sorry it was a cell phone pic.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3840/23050623385xh.jpg

AccordRacing21
05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Wait...you put acetone in with your gas and you got better mileage? I've never heard of that before. It doesn't damage anything? Isn't that more expensive then just buying gas? Did you lose any power?

snoopyloopy
05-24-2006, 05:18 PM
yes, please share more info on this. how much is acetone compared to gasoline? how much should you put? and so on and so forth...

Swap_File
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Here is the Acetone information:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

2oz to 3oz per 10 gallons seems to be the sweet spot.

Some people have said it doesn't work well if your fuel has a 10% ethanol mix in it. I have not tried it.

Also, I guess the Acetone is slightly corrosive, but in these low ammounts, its really not supposed to cause a problem.

snoopyloopy
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
hmm...i might definitely test this out. bc i'm getting around 300 miles per every 12 gallons or so. auto a20a3

AccordEpicenter
05-24-2006, 07:51 PM
hmm.... Ive heard its bs and ive heard it works. Im gonna have to try this. I have already gone 501mi on exactly 14.5 gal in my 95lx 5sp and im sure i could improve on that if i tried...

dalinxz
05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
sorry went out to get a bite so basically, a bottle cost me about $8CAD for a 500ml bottle, i put about 90ml in the tank which didnt seem like alot, as for power it had the same power I didnt notice more power or less power, nothign seems to have gotten damaged yet other than something in my suspension but thats not related to the acetone. Its about another $1-$2 per tank and I feel that it worked. I was skeptical until I came on 3geez, I even tried to tell myself it doesnt work but hey seems like it does and did. I put in another tank last night, accidentally put in more than I was supposed to, 100ml so I hope that doesnt damage anything.

MuscleMuncherAccord
05-24-2006, 08:59 PM
acetone eats away at the rubber seals and gas lines and you will eventually end up damaging things... i strongly advise that you discontinue this practine

dalinxz
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Thats what i thought but a site tested the parts and it didnt do any damage, if anything microns. I think since its such a small amount in comparison to the gasoline its not too bad since it gets mixed and gas already contains alcohol which is just as bad, so i think that theory is disproven

Swap_File
05-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Ethanol is supposed to eat rubber seals too, but it is mixed in our gas here in the midwest (10% Ethanol, 90% Normal gas). I do not think this tiny ammount of Acetone would be any worse.

Seals definately have to be replaced if you run E85 ( 85% ethanol ), but then again you have to change your fuel tables, and do other stuff too.

DBMaster
05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
I have been using it for a good while now. I have noticed no significant increase in my miles per gallon, but I did notice that the car no longer knocks on regular unleaded gas. I have had to use mid-grade since it was new. So, it does save money for me.

Ludi Mali
05-25-2006, 10:53 AM
i don't understand how it can help fuel economy since the car is still going to dump the same amount of fluid in at a given rpm

Swap_File
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
The Acetone is supposed to reduce the surface tension of the fuel, which then allows the fuel to vaporize better, which allows it to more fully combust.

This would reduce the ammount of unburned fuel that goes out your exhaust, and improve your car's emissions (hydrocarbons and stuff; HC + NOx).

Ethanol can interfere with the ability of acetone to reduce surface tension, which is why sometimes Acetone doesn't help.

qh187
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
supposedly the acetone lowers the surface tension of gasoline allowing it to vaporize easier. easier vaporization = cleaner combustion = more efficient engine.

DBMaster
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
A chemist friend of mine calls it a "radical stabilizer." I think that is why it helps the knocking issue in my engine, though, like I said the fuel economy appears unchanged.

Kabuki
05-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Makes me sad that y'all missed my post before... Good thing it caught your eyes now! I've been very happy, and rather impressed by how well this works. I'm glad you found the link, too, Swapfile. I couldn't remember what it was.

DBMaster
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Kabuki, I think it was your post that enticed me to try the acetone. did you post a few months ago?

dalinxz
05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
kabuki i think your thread was my inspiration too.

carotman
05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
I'll definetly try this!

Blkblurr
06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I just tried this and I got 3.5 miles per gallon more than without it. I routinely make a trip from Dayton, OH to Litchfield, MI and I always get 28.0 miles/gal. I put in 2 OZ / 10 gal and drove at about 80 miles/ hr with air running 1/2 the time. I got 31.5 miles / gal. I did notice more power available to me but of course you will have more power. That's how you end up with more miles/ gal. I'm now trying it in all my other cars.

dalinxz
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
hmm i put too much the last time 100ml so about 3.5-4 ounces
i noticed a drop in power and the engine took more power to accelerate. but the mileage stayed high not as the first test so i guess the trick is to only put 2.5-3 ounces

crazykamper
06-21-2006, 02:29 PM
wow. sounds very intersting, for sure will have to give this a try...

snoopyloopy
06-21-2006, 02:43 PM
i tried it and haven't really noticed an increase after 4 tanks or so. maybe i use too much or too little--i put in ~100 ml/fill-up which is usually about 13 gallons.

2ndGenGuy
06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm skeptical if a 3-5mpg increase can be attributed to the Acetone. I think the only way to know would be to do a placebo-style test. If you're looking to increase your mileage, how do you know that you're not subconsicously keeping your foot out of the gas?

I went on a recent trip to Arizona in my car. I found that if I drive 60-65mph and really keep my foot out of it up hills, I was able to get ~33mpg in my car. That was my first tank of gas on the trip.

On my second tank of gas (mind you this is ALL highway driving), I kept my speed about 70-75 to see what the difference was. My mileage dropped to ~29mpg.

At once point from LA to Phoenix, I put my foot all the way to the floor. Kept a speed of 90-100mph. The gas mileage dropped to ~22mpg. I got there fast, but the distance between fills was REALLY short.

So what I'm saying is, if driving style can vary your mileage by up to 10mpg, I don't think that there's any conclusive way to determine if your mileage has increased that much due to a fuel additive. Well you could, but you'd need to analyze it over a much longer time, and have somebody else give you either a vial of gasoline (placebo) or the Acetone. Then when you report back your results after 5-10 tanks you would know for sure.

Blkblurr
06-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm skeptical if a 3-5mpg increase can be attributed to the Acetone. I think the only way to know would be to do a placebo-style test. If you're looking to increase your mileage, how do you know that you're not subconsicously keeping your foot out of the gas?

I went on a recent trip to Arizona in my car. I found that if I drive 60-65mph and really keep my foot out of it up hills, I was able to get ~33mpg in my car. That was my first tank of gas on the trip.

On my second tank of gas (mind you this is ALL highway driving), I kept my speed about 70-75 to see what the difference was. My mileage dropped to ~29mpg.

At once point from LA to Phoenix, I put my foot all the way to the floor. Kept a speed of 90-100mph. The gas mileage dropped to ~22mpg. I got there fast, but the distance between fills was REALLY short.

So what I'm saying is, if driving style can vary your mileage by up to 10mpg, I don't think that there's any conclusive way to determine if your mileage has increased that much due to a fuel additive. Well you could, but you'd need to analyze it over a much longer time, and have somebody else give you either a vial of gasoline (placebo) or the Acetone. Then when you report back your results after 5-10 tanks you would know for sure.

That's easy lfor me to answer. The trip I took is a trip I make nearly every week for my job. I know how much time it takes me to get there and I know how many miles per gallon I get. The road conditions and weather were typical of most of my trips and I always leave the cruise control set for a good portion of the trip. My travel time was within a few minutes of normal but on the lesser side (time wise) of most trips. This is about as controlled a test as the average person can perform. Whether you're skeptical or not the figures show clearly that it works with 2 oz / ten gallons. I will perform the same test on my other cars and let people know what I find.

StressSolutions
06-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Thats what i thought but a site tested the parts and it didnt do any damage, if anything microns. I think since its such a small amount in comparison to the gasoline its not too bad since it gets mixed and gas already contains alcohol which is just as bad, so i think that theory is disproven:huh:

Alcohol vs Acetone.....dude, Acetone is a lot more corrosive and powerful than alcohol. Have you ever heard of anyone drinking acetone and living to tell the tale? I know, not really fair, since lots of people kill themselves by drinking the other kind of alcohol, both kinds, actually. But still....

dalinxz
06-24-2006, 06:33 PM
well alcohol is very corrosive also, and gas companies are planning on putting in more, but in reality its such a small amount of acetone, just dont use it with gas with ethanol since Im assuming you wouldnt have as much power

:huh:
Alcohol vs Acetone.....dude, Acetone is a lot more corrosive and powerful than alcohol. Have you ever heard of anyone drinking acetone and living to tell the tale? I know, not really fair, since lots of people kill themselves by drinking the other kind of alcohol, both kinds, actually. But still....

carotman
06-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I tried it and it worked for me!

snoopyloopy
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
my testing was pretty standard, i didn't change my driving habits in the least bit. still cruising at 80 on the freeway and as fast as reasonably possible on the streets. maybe i was putting in too much? about 100 ml to a fill-up which is about 13 gallons when i fill up.

dalinxz
06-26-2006, 09:44 AM
100ml is too much it makes it laggish in power, put in about 85ml tops.

reanimator420
01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
boo arise thread!!! did this cause anyone ne problems or damage yet?

snoopyloopy
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
for me, none identified. but i also haven't used it in months.

AZmike
01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Compared to the 10% ethanol in the fuel in some places a few ounces of acetone shouldn't matter a bit.

2ndGenGuy
01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Anybody see that episode of Mythbusters? It didn't do a thing...

reanimator420
01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
well that proves it, there 90% correct half the time so that convinced me lol

Blkblurr
01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I continued using this and then not using it and recorded my milage each time. What I discovered was that my milage varies quite a bit and I didn't really see any overall improvement in my average mpg. I haven't used it in a while now.

DBMaster
01-11-2007, 07:51 AM
They tested acetone in gas recently on Mythbusters in both a carbed and fuel injected and found no improvement. I used it for months and had no improvement. It did seem like the engine knocked less on regular unleaded gas, but when I quit using it things stayed abotu the same.