PDA

View Full Version : ware to get a b20a engine.

3gmodifier
05-24-2006, 10:48 PM
ok, i have been reading a lot of stuff about the b20 swap. i have all of the axle fitting and ecu stuff down but ware can i actually get the motor. every ware i call asking for a b20 for the accord, i just get a dumbfounded response, like you must be mistaken, the b20 came in the prelude and cr-v. i try to explain that there were actually two differant versions of the b20 but i get know ware. i am a few parts away from turboing my a20a3 but i have decided to swap it for the jdm b20. i have everything jdm for the 3g except the tails and digital climate controls (will have soon), so i figured if i am going to get all of this jdm stuff i might as well get the heart. i am about to get the original ecu that came with jdm accord b20 aswell to make things easier. can any of you guys that have already done this swap tell me ware i can get the motor and trans.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-24-2006, 11:08 PM
The B20a is hard to find it took me 2 1/2 years to get two of them >so Good Luck on your search.

speedpenguin
05-25-2006, 04:23 AM
The B20a is hard to find it took me 2 1/2 years to get two of them >so Good Luck on your search.
Wait, you have two of them?

snoopyloopy
05-25-2006, 06:48 AM
ask carotman. awhile ago, i think he said he got his for $400 and that he could still get them, but expect to pay maybe double that. but he said they're mostly auto. also, check the marketplace. the thread titled "b20a1 bare block and head" is the b20 for our cars. and he's selling both the block + head and he says he has a complete running motor in a car that he could also pull if someone wanted it.

sofaking_bob
05-26-2006, 08:29 AM
so uhh.. basically what you're saying is that you're just s.o.l. if you're looking for one of these?

i've been looking on the net for 3 days straight with no luck, and i've got numerous other people i know who have jdm connections looking for this engine and no one can give me any good news... i don't even want to think about finding the transmission... much less a 5-speed.

what i want to know is if it's really worth it. my car is so special to me. it was my first car and i'd LOVE to fix it up all nice like in time for it's 25th birthday... i'd be looking to build it up a bit as well.. possibly upward of 250 whp NA. any info would be appreciated.

Versanick
05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
turbo. way faster. I have everything you can do to an n/a motor and I'm about to raise the revs to 8200rpm+ (I hope!), and I still probably won't see 250whp. Maybe flywheel hp.

go turbo. I promise, cheaper, more power, way cooler sounds, way more fun, way more torque, and way more punishingly cool to see an intercooler on the front of the car. 100% I would go back, no question, if I could, and go a20 turbo.

sofaking_bob
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
turbo. way faster. I have everything you can do to an n/a motor and I'm about to raise the revs to 8200rpm+ (I hope!), and I still probably won't see 250whp. Maybe flywheel hp.

go turbo. I promise, cheaper, more power, way cooler sounds, way more fun, way more torque, and way more punishingly cool to see an intercooler on the front of the car. 100% I would go back, no question, if I could, and go a20 turbo.

no boost. the challenge that i'm loving on this car is that parts are hard to source out. same goes for the power. i'm looking forward to creating some form of frankenstein in order to produce that 250whp. are you running itb's? if so what kind of intake manifold are you using? i'd be more than happy at 200-225, which seeing as how the engine is rated at like 160, should be possible to do without boosting. 250 is just a good number for me.

i'm not trying to be a dick about boosting. it's just not for me in this case. and since mine's an 86, i'd have to get an a20 to go a20t.

snoopyloopy
05-26-2006, 02:18 PM
isn't the bt the same as a20, just different code? and you can try sourcing one from europe. may be easier, since no one wants an edm engine, i think it might be easier to find one over there. and like i said, check out the thread in the for sale forum. there's a fellow there and he's selling two. one is complete and running, the other is just the block and head. and 250 hp could be possible. but it'll still probably be almost unstreetable.

3gmodifier
05-26-2006, 09:20 PM
well i got some good news and some bad news. the bad news is i cant find a god damn thing about ware to get the motor let alone the trany,(sort of). the good news is, there is a friend of mine on ebay that i have known for about for a while now. he has provided me with 99% of my jdm parts and he lives in new zealand. i asked him about the motor. he said every accord he has pulled parts on has the b20 and about half of them are usually manual. he said he can pull the motor but on top of the engine price goea another $800 just for shipping to get it to cali. so he kinda doesn't want to pull it. but he did say that he will get me the original ecu and 100% complete engine bay harness for $200. now because of the rarity of this engine, what should i do. keep looking my self for the engine and have to peice together the tranny and mess with the axles. or, should i go for it and pay the extra $$$$ to get a complete engine from new zealand. i'm thinking it would be to expensive but on the other hand, at least i know that i would be getting a complete engine with matching tranny. no peice work needed. tell me what you guys think.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
www.jdmsource.ca ... email them, I went in last year trying to get a b20 and the guy shoaib new what I was talking about and said he could get them, just not very popular

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Wait, you have two of them?
Yes i do:)

carotman
05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Hehe. They are just too rare to come by. That's a shame. If I was an engine importer, I would import at least 10 of those. I'm sure I would sell them for 1k easily.

Who wouldn't pay 1k for a complete JDM B20A (ECu, axles ... everything).

I think most of them don't know what they're missing :(

Feuerstoss
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Yikes... Honda engines are pretty inexpensive. I can't even get a 3SGTE for a grand, at least the complete setup(third-gen motor runs about $3400 or so). However... a B20A would be cool to have, and I may end up doing that in the future, pending some more research and saving. If I do this, yes... I'm sticking N/A. I already have my turbo fun car... I just want something that'll be a bit less expensive to drive as well as have all the fun creature comforts on it. :P

AccordB20A
05-31-2006, 09:19 PM
come to NZ b20as are everywhere but they all have automatic boxes or broken cambelts haha

3gmodifier
06-02-2006, 11:31 PM
yeah it seams that nz and and parts of europe are the only places to find these damn motors. i really need one now too. i just blew my head gasket the other day and just finished fixing every thing. i got my head reworked and the engine runs great but out of noware my tranny takes a shit. i just replaced it two months ago. it seems like every time i fix one thing two more things break. i just want to get the b20 and rebuild it from absolute scratch so i can have something thats is new and fresh. a whole new beginning. i'll get it some day.

snoopyloopy
06-03-2006, 07:09 AM
oh have fun rebuilding a b20a. you'll have a hell of a time trying to get parts for that rebuild. and go ahead and order the engine from nz. it's not a b16, these aren't civics. expect to pay for the performance that you want out of this car.

AccordB20A
06-03-2006, 02:24 PM
i recon it will be fun but in the end hell its worth it....

snoopyloopy
06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
yeah. just make sure that when you're tracking down and ordering parts for the rebuild that you get multiples of every part. just in case.

Accordtheory
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I can't believe no one said anything about the spelling of the title..ware..

get a real b series..b20 vtec if you're staying n/a

ok, that's all the shit I'm going to talk..good luck with the jdm b20

snoopyloopy
10-28-2006, 10:37 PM
come to NZ b20as are everywhere but they all have automatic boxes or broken cambelts haha
5 speed w/ a broken cam belt is no problem. not terribly hard to remedy unless it snapped while the engine was running. idk if the b20a is an interference engine or not.

and to op: props on finally getting one, good luck with the swap and i hope everything turns out good for you. if you don't mind, maybe i could drop by sometime and see how the install is going? so i can get info for my b20a install.

A18A
10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
5 speed w/ a broken cam belt is no problem. not terribly hard to remedy unless it snapped while the engine was running. idk if the b20a is an interference engine or not.
thats why they sell them, cause the belts usually snap and then bend the valves, i dont really know how the cam belt will snap without the engine running but its happened to my car lol

snoopyloopy
10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
well still, that isn't THAT big of a problem. some new valves and maybe new pistons (and new timing belt, of course :lol:) and you should be set to go. all of which should be able to be sourced from other usdm honda engines.

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 12:17 AM
well still, that isn't THAT big of a problem. some new valves and maybe new pistons (and new timing belt, of course :lol:) and you should be set to go. all of which should be able to be sourced from other usdm honda engines.

yup might as well rebuild a 18 year old engine....and keep it reliable

hotdoghogie
10-29-2006, 12:43 AM
hmmm guys i dunno why u wanna do stuff to the car i know its diff... but if your gonna do sumthin to a 3rd gen accord do it right... get a b20 then give the b20 a turbo... u know...

im saving up for my second gen 300zx...(its just about as much as a jdm motor and a turbo)... i want somthing that my g/f's will wanna ride in

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
hmmm guys i dunno why u wanna do stuff to the car i know its diff... but if your gonna do sumthin to a 3rd gen accord do it right... get a b20 then give the b20 a turbo... u know...
im saving up for my second gen 300zx...(its just about as much as a jdm motor and a turbo)... i want somthing that my g/f's will wanna ride in

http://honda-tech.com/zeroavatar/132882

hotdoghogie
10-29-2006, 01:03 AM
hmmm i wouldnt mind driving a mutated 3gee/zx we can call him Hissan or Nonda

A18A
10-29-2006, 01:09 AM
hondassan 3gzx

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
hondassan 3gzx

WOOT FTW!....lol rear wheel drive 3rd gen....the dream might come true after all:thumbup:

gfrg88
10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
WOOT FTW!....lol rear wheel drive 3rd gen....the dream might come true after all:thumbup:

rwd twin turbo 3g FTW!!!!! if only i had the money.......

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 03:43 PM
rwd twin turbo 3g FTW!!!!! if only i had the money.......

ok...might as well buy a s2000 with the money you are going to spend...LOL

snoopyloopy
10-29-2006, 03:49 PM
ok...might as well buy a s2000 with the money you are going to spend...LOL
no, because your insurance will be lower with the 3gzx.

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 03:57 PM
no, because your insurance will be lower with the 3gzx.

i pay close to 2000 a year....and that is for my mom and me..2 accords(just basic) and her mini van that has full.

snoopyloopy
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
i pay close to 2000 a year....and that is for my mom and me..2 accords(just basic) and her mini van that has full.
yeah, my fam pays around $1500/year for 4 vehicles and 3 drivers. (but it's about to shoot up when my bro gets his license.) but just liability on 3 of the cars. i don't know the rates on the insurance, though.
1989 accord lx-i: liability
1998 plymouth breeze: liability
1994 ford windstar: comprehensive
1999 ford aerostar: liability

MessyHonda
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
yeah, my fam pays around $1500/year for 4 vehicles and 3 drivers. (but it's about to shoot up when my bro gets his license.) but just liability on 3 of the cars. i don't know the rates on the insurance, though.
1989 accord lx-i: liability
1998 plymouth breeze: liability
1994 ford windstar: comprehensive
1999 ford aerostar: liability

well we have AAA...so we get money raped.