PDA

View Full Version : mysterious rusty water

88LX-i blacknlow
08-25-2002, 11:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before...
noticed over a period of (a while now), that my car was lightly "spotting" near the belt/pulley side of the engine compartment. Thought it was just a blow-by, or eventual hose pressure weakening (trailing from somewhere else). Got car ready for hose swaps, and inspection, found out that I cannot locate the leak merely by observation from above or below w/o major part removal. It appears to be coming from somewhere behind the water pump (The water pump is still working though). Should I be freakin'?
I've heard something about a waterpump blow-by or something of the like, is this routine in 88's or might I have blown a o-ring/gasket. Oh, and while I was under there, I did notice that it was rusting my oil pan!!! So it must have been doing this for sometime... help help help

:smokin:

rocky2
08-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Your water pump is dieing slowly. All water pumps have a weep hole. When the seal on impeller wears to a point that coolent will exit this hole on pump. If theres rust in coolent(common) this only acellerates matter. Rust particles scatching surface of pump.
You can "run it" till it gets worse without fear,but just keep eye on level.

monsonhonda
08-26-2002, 03:34 PM
heh, i got same deal, how hard is the water pump to change

88LX-i blacknlow
09-18-2002, 06:42 AM
welp, thanks for the insight. a mechanic told me it might be some weird hose back there...I think it's time for some stop-leak and a flush. In response to the waterpump change difficulty. (forgive me for the following) it's not a vw, it's a honda. goodluck, it ain't easy brah, it's all kinda hooked together.:smokin:

Immeraufdemhund
09-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Well here's a hint to it.... Look for the hardest place to do work on the side of your engine... when you find it, find the smallest place to put a really large item... that is a good place to put most parts that have to be replaced fairly often... but when you do get it out.. might as well change your timing belt too.

mike_fx_u
09-18-2002, 08:35 PM
the water pump is not too hard to take off but it is a pain in the ass there is no room and it does take some time. If that doesnt solve ur problem(leak) there are other possibilities there is a pipe that runs from the water pump to the other side of the engine it can have a hole in it or the o ring where it connects on the block, could be shot. also if u have a FI there are two small hose going to that same pipe they could be leaking they are hard to see and change if they need to be. If u do have to change them the easiest way is to take off the air box(FI) and oil filter and u will have more clearance. Iam in the process of putting in a new engine the pipe mentioned above was very corroded so i replaced the pipe and o ring because it is a pain in the ass to get too on the car. After doing this engine swap i know everything on the block.

hope this helps
mike