PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan & Valve Cover gasket question..

88Accord-DX
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Some of you guys that tried varies brand name of valve cover & oil pan gaskets.

Which gasket works best for you, some aftermarket valve cover & oil pan gasket like Fel-pro or does OEM Honda gaskets work better?

Edit- Just wondering what some other results where, cause I'm having a problem with aftermarket brands. :Owned:

w261w261
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
The longer I have my car, the more I find myself buying Honda brand stuff. It's just not worth it anymore to try to save a couple of bucks. So much aftermarket junk nowadays goes from one factory to another, whatever is cheaper. Brand X might be good today and horrible tomorrow. Honda and Toyota are who they are because they're very good at putting together great parts with skilled assembly. Try Majestic Honda - 25% off list.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp

EricW
05-25-2006, 07:16 PM
I haven't done a oil pan gasket yet, but i have done a couple valve cover gaskets. All of the valve cover gaskets have been felpro. Recently i have just been reusing the old one since it is only maybe a year old, but I applied a thin layer of 5 min gasket maker to both sides of the gasket and haven't had any leaks.

Ichiban
05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I rebuilt my 20R/22R with fel-pro, and federal mogul rings and bearings. Everyone else I know uses Fel-pro as well.

I find it is the quality of the prep job, not the gasket itself that makes it work. I use a 3M pad on my die grinder to clean up pan rails and a wire wheel or bead blaster on the pan itself (gotta be careful to get all the sand and crap out after)

Ichiban
05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
A lot of newer engines dont have a pan gasket per se...just the gooey crap.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
05-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I used a fel-pro when i replaced my valve cover gasket.

DBMaster
05-26-2006, 06:08 AM
I have used Felpro, whatever brand NAPA carries, and Genuine Honda. For the money, there is nothing easier than changing the gasket AND grommets when adjusting the valve lash. I was reasonably happy with Felpro if you want to save the trouble of mail ordering, but the Honda gasket works a little better (less leakage at the corners). The various gasket making compounds work well, I am sure, but why go to the extra mess and trouble?

AccordEpicenter
05-26-2006, 07:58 AM
stock honda for me

Kabuki
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Part number in question is the 11251-PC6-010, and Honda list is $26.75, but I can ship them out for $20. OE Honda, or OEMs OPT and Ishino, and that goes for ANY gaskets. They may also be sold under the name "Stone". Use a thin layer of Permatex Ultra Gray or Hondabond on both sides of the gasket. Not as big a deal with 3G and earlier cars, but the Blue/Black/Orange/Red Sealants are usually NOT Oxygen Sensor Safe, and will kill you sensors in a hurry. The biggest problem we see with pan gaskets is they are never torqued correctly. Always too loose or so tight that the gasket is squishing out.

DBMaster
05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I was talking about the rocker cover gasket. I paid to have my oil pan gasket changed and they did use a Honda gasket as well as the gray "pookie" stuff that the Honda dealer uses.

88Accord-DX
05-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Interesting points, appreciate the feedback. I'll prep the surfaces real good & use "hondabond" with OEM gaskets next time around.

Hate pulling the exhaust out to change the freaking oil pan gasket again.. :beat:

carotman
05-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah it's a bitch to pull out. I did mine with no adhesive at all and it doesn't leat. I used a torque wrench to secure it in place tough.