PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a cv joint end, need some help

FyreDaug
05-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Well my passenger side lower bj failed, like its driver side brother, but less dramatic... its half broken, meaning I can see that it had "siezed" at one point and its partially coming out of itself, so im about to replace that once my friend gets here to give me a ride around town. I also noticed the boot has a small tear in it and it must have been open for a little while because I can see some grease shots around tthat area..... Instead of getting a whole new """ axle from a wrecker for 40 bucks and having to drain the damn fluid again im hoping I can get away with just rebuilding it... maybe not neccesarily right now, but if its easy enough I might as well...

I talked with the parts guy and he said it was 15 bucks and its fairly easy... ive never done it before, what kind of tools should I expect to need for this job? Do I need a torque wrench? Does the whole outer CV need to come apart? What kind of grease? I have some wheel bearing greese, is that good?

newaccorddriver
05-27-2006, 10:59 AM
ive done a rebuild module in school about rebuilding cv axles. my honest opinion about it all is that its not really worth it. you need a few specialized tools like those ring clamps and such which arent too cheap. ontop of that its time consuming. the job itself wasnt too hard, but the many many pieces that are small and i almost lost made me think of why we even bother to rebuild them...

Vanilla Sky
05-28-2006, 02:40 AM
the outer joints can't be disassembled on the car. the honda repair manual says that you replace the whole axle if that joint fails. it can't be disassembled like the inner can be. you have to disassemble the inner CV joint in order to reboot the outer. just replace the axle.

FyreDaug
05-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Just because I have to put a new boot on? Then why do they sell them? I can get the boot for 15 bucks, and the guy said it wasnt that hard to do

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2006, 10:37 AM
bullshit. You can get both ends off the axle, guys. The outer joint is just held on with a clip kind of like how the the axle is held in the differential itself, it will come apart if you hit it with a hammer it off on the piece of the joint closest to the splines. Now for the inner cv, all it has is a small clip holding the tripod thingy on the splines so it wont come off, take that clip off and the tripod part will come right off so you can change the boot or whatever.