PDA

View Full Version : how do i find TDC, crappy petrol and accelerator

A18A
05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
how do i find TDC on the head? i think my timing is a little bit out, the car doesnt turn off like it should, it runs for about the extra few seconds and from older topics it said the timing or the idle is out so yeah, thats why i wanna know. a ACCURATE tdc, not just a thing where the pulley is facing up and the 2 marks are inline with the head

and i think my car is using waaay too much petrol than it should, i put $20 in and that moved the needle to under a quarter tank and only been 14km and at home adjust things now the needle is just on the white mark of E. also theres liquid comming outta the exhaust, would that be petrol or condensation? if you wipe it with ur finger it doesnt evaporate like petrol

and what need replacing here, accelerator cable or the pedal? can start the car up and itll run fine or idle very high, but if i put my foot under the accelerator and pull it out then the revs will drop to a reasonable number, or just stall the car o.O

could those 2 last problems be a shitty carb? i havnt flipped it but i have had it on a about 45 degree angle when i had the head off

tia

88Accord-DX
05-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Well, just finding TDC on the cam sprocket is the first step. There a few ways of finding TCD on the crank. Either put something down in the spark plug wire (long screwdriver while watching with a flashlight) & look the piston come to the top. Also make sure your dizzy cap is pointing at #1 spark plug.
Look at the flywheel TDC mark on the beelhousing. Or pull the crankshaft pulley off & when the keyway is at 12' O Clock.
If you have a timing light, the light should hit the fllywheel mark at TDC with your vacuum lines plugged (base timing)
IF you need some more help, send me a pm. I'm over twice you age & work on cars everyday.

bobafett
05-30-2006, 06:53 AM
* not to start a timing thread, but i thoguht it was supposed to be at 6 degrees with both vac lines plugged.

88Accord-DX
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, more or less. Been a while since I timed the Accord. Mine pretty much hit TDC mark. It could been 5 degrees or so like you said.