PDA

View Full Version : mods and sh*t.........why bother?

detroit313
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
serious question here! im not being a dick or anything....
why the HELL do people try to make one of these "3gees" or civics racecars?
why bother with nitrous and all that kinda shit? these cars arent supposed to be fast. i for one wouldnt feel safe going 120+ mph in my '88 lxi!
you crash your fuc*in dead in these tin cans! (must be the inner city Detroit mentality in me)
im new to the whole honda gig. i actually LOVE my '88 lxi.
best $200 i ever spent. it was probobally worth $3-$4000 due to the mint condition and under 90,000 miles when i bought it(108,000 now)
i just wouldnt dream of trying to race the bitch............

B16KILLA
05-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Only reasons I do it is because I love my car, I like to have a daily driver with sum balls, and eventually when the car has enough parts on it I'm going to take'er off the streets and she will be track ONLY. I'd do the same with my Chevelle if I had the money. If still you ask why then my only answer is because a 3g is my weapon of choice

Versanick
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM
just for fun dude. why make anything go faster?

why eat pizza with hot peppers?

who cares. turbo an a20. it's cool.

3gn86lxi
05-27-2006, 06:43 PM
If you need to ask why.........you are obviously not a true car guy. Doesn't matter what you drive if you have the infliction.
:D

guaynabo89
05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
If you need to ask why.........you are obviously not a true car guy. Doesn't matter what you drive if you have the infliction.
:D

I agree

If you cant apreciate the time spent on a car no matter who the manufacturer is then you really wont get it no matter what you drive.

detroit313
05-27-2006, 07:22 PM
oooh shit,sore spot! i said i wasnt trying to be a dick or anything man,calm down! we do things a little different here in Detroit.......
weapon of choice? a 4cyl honda with barely 100 HP is HARDLY a weapon dude!
im a car guy, dont get me wrong.....i basically built the car in my avatar ('71 pontiac grand ville)
i do understand that part of the deal.

its just these cars werent built for any type of fuc*in racing! they were built for fuel efficiency and reliability(im lucky enough to have BOTH so far in my
'88 lxi)

but i guess 90% of cars arent really built for racing..most cars just have something more to work with as far and HP/safety goes.........

i just find it funny when some riced out civic driven by some 20 y/o litte homo tries to get with me at a red light when im in my '71 grand ville! WTF is that shit all about? i have more power than a civic in one fuc*in cylinder!!

thats always verry funny to me...........

B16KILLA
05-27-2006, 07:27 PM
i have more power than a civic in one fuc*in cylinder!!

Noones getting mad and I dont think your being a dick, but I doubt you got 800 ponys uder that hood. Weapon of choice was a figure of speech. I know it's not super fast but it's fast enought to smoke the local ricers. I have both an old school muscle car and an import, most domestic guys would think thats a sin. If anything my Chevelle is a weapon hehe.

detroit313
05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
naa....not even CLOSE to 800!!
i was just asking a question! im a domestic car guy all the way. but im very impressed with my '88 lxi. its a workhorse that gets me 32-33 mpg religiously on the freeway!
was gonna just use it as a beater.(not anymore) its nice enough to actually put some cash into and keep around...........who needs a car payment?

stat1K
05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
your car wouldn't be that save going 120+... and you say if you crash your dead. well if you crash anything at a high enough speed your dead. if you're worried about safety get a saab. and i have seen some integras and civics that would destroy your grand ville with no nitrous. they might only have 300hp but they weigh half of what your car does. and like someone else said we do it because we can. i for one love my car... the way it looks... how it drives... i wouldn't want anything else.

2drSE-i
05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
exactly. we do it because we love the cars. if we didnt love them for what they were we would just sell them and get better cars. but because we love the cars, we are willing to spend more money making it faster than actually fast cars. its a matter of preference. alot of times i get challenged to race civics too. i know ill win, but they dont. but usin a grand ville on a civic is like using a bazooka on a duck.

Whistler225
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
oooh shit,sore spot! i said i wasnt trying to be a dick or anything man,calm down! we do things a little different here in Detroit.......
weapon of choice? a 4cyl honda with barely 100 HP is HARDLY a weapon dude!
im a car guy, dont get me wrong.....i basically built the car in my avatar ('71 pontiac grand ville)
i do understand that part of the deal.
its just these cars werent built for any type of fuc*in racing! they were built for fuel efficiency and reliability(im lucky enough to have BOTH so far in my
'88 lxi)
but i guess 90% of cars arent really built for racing..most cars just have something more to work with as far and HP/safety goes.........
i just find it funny when some riced out civic driven by some 20 y/o litte homo tries to get with me at a red light when im in my '71 grand ville! WTF is that shit all about? i have more power than a civic in one fuc*in cylinder!!

hrmmm....well, a couple of things here, and no offense because I love American muscle cars as well (my favorite is the 'Cuda).
1>people race EVERYTHING. cars, trucks, semi trucks, school buses, motorcycles, boats, friggin lawn mowers for gawd's sake (and I will tell you this, some of those lawn mowers FLY). So why race a 3G? Why not? We race everything else.
2>Your car is awesome, but I will bet you my next paycheck it can't take a corner worth a crap at high speeds, no matter what you do to the suspension. A 3G on the other hand, can be made to handle like it's on rails, and would certainly leave a big American car far behind on a road course (even with only 100 hp).
3>someone on here has a 3G that is putting better than 300hp to the road. The basic rules of power to weight ratio would indicate that it would dust your average muscle car unless it's putting out at least 500 or so.

There are many different kinds of racing. Certain types of cars are suited to certain types of racing. If you watch the Speed channel, you will see pretty much every kind of car you could imagine in racing, from 4 bangers to v12's.

Another example of a car that is gutless in stock form would be the Dodge Neon. It has a 2.4 in it. The Dodge Neon SRT4 has that same 2.4, but has been put on steroids so it will go 0-60 in about 5 seconds. All for the love of tuning. That after all, is what it's really all about.

*plink plink*

Whistler225
05-27-2006, 08:35 PM
btw, I wasn't trying to be nasty, just trying to answer the question....

mkymonkey
05-27-2006, 08:35 PM
why do i do it? meh it just gives me something to do! nuff said

3gn86lxi
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Meh.....here is "one" of my other rigs.....
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/3gn86lxi/PICT0408.jpg
I am by no means partial to my Honda, and nobody EVER said that everyone on this site is "racing" their cars.
In fact if you read most everyones responses to threads, we all think street racing is stupid. Ricers are the ones rolling up on you trying to get you to "go" with em.......and you know what, I bet you try to race them.:nervous:
Anyway, we are not trying to race everyone we see, and it's because we love our cars, or it's because it's what we simply could afford. Then we try to make our cars better.
BTW.....that Pontiac is cool, but remember this, we are all intiteled to love our Hondas, It's Our Right.
Later.

reanimator420
05-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Amen^

detroit313
05-27-2006, 09:16 PM
yup! i love my '88 accord too man! im a new convert for sure... saves me mad money..........
nope! i dont "take on the ricers" like you said/think bro! im not a fuc*in kid with nothing to lose!
im 32 with 2 little kids man,that shit is plain retarded to me!
maybe 15 years ago................
never said my '71 pontiac was a race car or could beat the shit out of anything either!
just seems the little riced out dickheads around here think it is a racecar wanna race me for some reason......
shit,300 horses in a car 50% or more lighter would blow mostly anything off the road....

3gn86lxi
05-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I hear ya, I have em chasing me all the time. But cars....and trucks is my hobby. Well and my motorcycle too now. And I'll be 35 this year with teenagers bro, so I'm not some kid either. I just I get something and I can't leave it alone.....
I think that you are making a huge generalization when you say that we all want to race our Accords when we mod them. We (speaking for everyone here) simply want to improve on a good thing Honda already started with. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, likes and dislikes, ect.

diegoaccord
05-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Another example of a car that is gutless in stock form would be the Dodge Neon. It has a 2.4 in it. The Dodge Neon SRT4 has that same 2.4, but has been put on steroids so it will go 0-60 in about 5 seconds. All for the love of tuning. That after all, is what it's really all about.
*plink plink*

regular neon has a 2.0 SOHC motor.

srt has the 2.4 DOHC turbo

B16KILLA
05-27-2006, 09:54 PM
We (speaking for everyone here) simply want to improve on a good thing Honda already started with. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, likes and dislikes, ect.

EXACTLY!:)

Legend_master
05-27-2006, 10:22 PM
hrmmm....well, a couple of things here, and no offense because I love American muscle cars as well (my favorite is the 'Cuda).
1>people race EVERYTHING. cars, trucks, semi trucks, school buses, motorcycles, boats, friggin lawn mowers for gawd's sake (and I will tell you this, some of those lawn mowers FLY). So why race a 3G? Why not? We race everything else.
2>Your car is awesome, but I will bet you my next paycheck it can't take a corner worth a crap at high speeds, no matter what you do to the suspension. A 3G on the other hand, can be made to handle like it's on rails, and would certainly leave a big American car far behind on a road course (even with only 100 hp).
3>someone on here has a 3G that is putting better than 300hp to the road. The basic rules of power to weight ratio would indicate that it would dust your average muscle car unless it's putting out at least 500 or so.
There are many different kinds of racing. Certain types of cars are suited to certain types of racing. If you watch the Speed channel, you will see pretty much every kind of car you could imagine in racing, from 4 bangers to v12's.
*plink plink*

:werd: and read this thread (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1376406)about an N/A built four cylinder.

Whistler225
05-27-2006, 10:24 PM
regular neon has a 2.0 SOHC motor.
srt has the 2.4 DOHC turbo
yah.....my bad. Hell, can't even pull up the Neon on Dodge's website anymore. It must be discontinued.

mkymonkey
05-27-2006, 11:28 PM
wow 3gn86lxi is 35? i would have never guessed it...and no thats not sarcasm.

speedpenguin
05-28-2006, 07:59 AM
These cars are not necessarily built for racing, (Sis and Type Rs excluded) but Honda cars started out being built with motorcycle technology and inspired by the best british sports cars.
Even though they're reliable economy cars. Soichiro Honda designed these cars to be fun to drive as well. People do anything they want to their cars. I'm planning some mods myself, but nothing to destroy the careful work put into designing my car to be simple and fun to drive.
You both have points. People who want to mod their cars and like Hondas will mod their Hondas. People who like to drive stock but want something fun to drive will also own Hondas. You don't have to mod cars to love cars. Even if for someone reason it was literally impossible to mod my car, I still wouldn't drive anything else.

stat1K
05-28-2006, 08:08 AM
another thing on what speed penguin is saying... these cars were actually built with some of the formula one technology. so they were infact built from racecars ie dual crossmember double wishbone suspension. but nevertheless we don't mod them to just race them we mod them because we are all tinkerers. anything i get i want to take apart it's no different with a car. if i were going to race my car it would be on the track not the street. i think the best answer is we mod because we can. and that will always be the case.

3gn86lxi
05-28-2006, 08:58 AM
wow 3gn86lxi is 35? i would have never guessed it...and no thats not sarcasm.
lol....thanks monkey. Yep, I'll be 35 in August.

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2006, 10:29 AM
hondas have alot of racing technology behind them but of course they were not designed to be racecars (very very few street legal cars are). Its just wayyy too much fun to beat people that have their hod rodded, modded "my shit is fast, yo" type of car (import or domestic, doesnt matter) in a car that looks slow as fuck and stock. Its hillarious, nobody ever expects my car to be even quick (even though i have less invested in the car than some guys have in rims and tires alone) the looks on their faces is absolutely priceless, they never see it coming, thats why i usually kick the shit out of competition with it. There is a difference between having a fast car and being a ricer, and its all about power to weight ratio.

keruhas184
05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Word. The 3G may have not been intended to be a racecar, but it sure can hold its boost. Slap a turbo on a stock 3G and it will definitely hold its own even with the muscle cars. So don't diss.

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Seriously, The car would have gone well into the 12s on the stock motor this year if the oil pump and bearings didnt get smoked. I never did get to make the runs on slicks with the better tune and water/alky. My conservative estimate would be 12.7-12.9 at 108-111. Dont forget i ran 13.7 at 105 smoking the tires to 65mph after bogging the launch (2.4 -2.5 60 fts y0) so it should have gone 12s with just the slicks alone on a good run (est 1.9 60 ft = .5 sec and since every tenth in the 60ft is worth nearly 2 tenths down the track.... you get the idea)