PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is with these ball joint!! FAWK!

FyreDaug
05-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Every single godamn honda accord ive worked on the fucking lower ball joint is ALWAYS stuck, not only was the castle nut stripped because it wouldnt turn and too much torque got put on it (got it off with a pipe wrench eventually) now the fucking thing will not come out! Ive been beating on it with a hammer for 20mins and it wont come out.... any tricks?

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2006, 11:14 AM
everybody always overtightens them (just get it snug) or crossthreads them when this happens. Do this, you need at least a 4 or 5lb hammer (nothing else will work) hit the side of the control arm right where the ball joint goes into it and it will eventually loosen up. I use this method when my pickle fork wont do it.

895spdforfree
05-28-2006, 11:16 AM
i think i had this same problem, i think you can use a press if that doesnt work, a small one, i used the presses you use when you wana pull of a harmonic balancer and that did the trick - george

Doward
05-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I use a tie-rod end puller (not the pickle fork style - the pitman arm puller style, with the U and the bolt you tighten to force it out.

Always works like a charm!

Legend_master
05-28-2006, 11:26 AM
take the back of your wratchet and stick it inbetween the lower control arm and the piece that connects to it. It should be a snug fit and might have to be hammered in. Then take a jack and place it on the ball joint itself. Start to jack it up untill the ball joint pops out. If I were at home I could take a picture sorry if this is confusing, but it works for be everytime.

Swap_File
05-28-2006, 01:26 PM
To remove my lower balljoints (from the lower arm), I removed the castle nut, then jacked up on the bolt part of the balljoint. Once it was under tension, I used a pipe and a 4 pount hammer to pound down onto the lower arm. It is alot easier to hammer down onto the lower arm, than up onto the bolt.

This generally destroys the threads on the balljoint, but sometimes it is the only way to get them out if they are really stuck.

lostforawhile
05-28-2006, 01:36 PM
it might seem like a stupid question,but did you remove the retaining clip?

HondaBoy
05-28-2006, 02:47 PM
i'll tell you why you have this problem. its because of the tapered fitting it sets in. you do need to hit it really good. all i had to hit one out the other day with was a plastic mallet. it did end up working, but you have to beat the living shit out of it to have it come loose. also, i would hit it a bit then pry on it. worked for me. and its not just hondas, every car i had to take the ball joints loose i've had to bang on it to get it loose. that was actually something we learned in my drive train class. had to do that to get axles out. here's a tip, leave the castle nut on the end of the threads so you dont fubar them while hitting it because i've seen that done plenty of times on cars that came in.

Blkblurr
05-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I use a tie-rod end puller (not the pickle fork style - the pitman arm puller style, with the U and the bolt you tighten to force it out.

Always works like a charm!
This works so well I can't imagine doing it any other way. Leave the castle nut on just enough to hold the tie rod press on the threaded end of the ball joint (keeps it from slipping off) and tighten with a socket or a good wrench. the ball joint will pop loudly and then is free. Works every time.