PDA

View Full Version : 1 15" sub with ported box

Cygnus
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I have an '86 4dr and I was looking to purchase the 15" Earthquake DBR,and mounted in a ported box(do not have the dimensions and tunning).I was wondering if a single 15" with around 400w rms could reproduce some decent bass in my sedan?

Acid X
05-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Yes. It can. Very decent. Haha.

MessyHonda
05-28-2006, 02:29 PM
yup that is going to be a decent sound. i knoe this guy who owns a stereo store and all he does is swear by earthquakes.... so they must be good...my buddy has 2 12s Tremors that are 800watts each in his 85 accord and it sounds good.

Vanilla Sky
05-28-2006, 07:18 PM
if you play a lot of music with kickdrum bass, then you would be better served by a pair of 12's. a 15 is only good for loud ambient bass in an automotive environment. it takes HUGE boxes to get a nice flat sound with most 15 inch drivers. smaller drivers usually like smaller enclosures.

as for decent bass, YES. a BIG yes. a single 10 would be enough for most people if properly installed with a good sound deadening install.

MessyHonda
05-28-2006, 07:27 PM
if you play a lot of music with kickdrum bass, then you would be better served by a pair of 12's. a 15 is only good for loud ambient bass in an automotive environment. it takes HUGE boxes to get a nice flat sound with most 15 inch drivers. smaller drivers usually like smaller enclosures.
as for decent bass, YES. a BIG yes. a single 10 would be enough for most people if properly installed with a good sound deadening install.

yeah i agree...thats why im going with a 12 inch Kicker Solobaric (the square one) since its good up to 750 RMS its more than good for a honda...i had 2 10inch and it made it hit good but too much vibrabitions and rattle. im going to put some rubber or something on the license plate and the bar for the trunk.

88eyeguy
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Honestly, I have two Dual XS10 10" subs powered by an old Kicker amp in my trunk, and even with the top down they still give me a back massage with every beat. I haven't been able to turn my stereo or amp high enough to create any distortion in them yet, and they produce clear, loud tones guaranteed to make you deaf if you listen for too long.

I just helped a friend install two 12" Alpines with a higher RMS rating than my Duals' peak rating, a 1500 watt Kicker amp, and a Pioneer Head Unit comparable in features and price to my Alpine 9851, and mine still hits harder. Granted my subs are in a 240sx convertible (NO trunk space), and his are in a Mercury Mariner. So far I haven't been impressed by any 15" subs, as they seem to focus on a single tone as opposed to bringing out the whole range. In a 3g, I wouldn't suggest anything higher than two 12" subs. Trust me, they will sound incredible with a proper setup and some good sound deadening.

MessyHonda
05-31-2006, 09:42 PM
i just sold my amp and subs...for 300...but the dude gave me a 300 10 inch kicker sub that i plan runing with a cheap amp i got at walmart... im going to get a box for it. i think its sealed tho. when i had the 2 10s in a bandpass box it made it hit so hard that the whole car would shake. i wanted trunk space insted of a good sounding stereo that weighs 60 pounds...the kicker is like 12 pounds in the box and with the amp is like 15...its hits alright its not the best...but it goes give the car a lil punch...if i was you just get 2 10in subs in a ported box...should be good.

king86
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
ooo sounds like a great system actually. Im running a mono block sony w/ a single 12' type R, and that pounds reall good. just get a good amp!

spanky
06-04-2006, 06:48 PM
i have two JL 10 " subs in an inclosed box. and i have a 800w legacy amp and it makes my eye lasnes vibrate. right now im loaning my system out to a friend b/c his 12" went kaput. so my car isnt on the road now so he's got my system, till she gets back on the road.