PDA

View Full Version : important question about alter....

spanky
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
ok, i have an 88 lxi and i just put a new battery in it. so im guessing that the alternator is gone. im thinkin of just taking it out and replacing it because i cant drive it down to the autozone and get it tested b/c of no insurence on the car. so i was wondering if autozone would be able to test it if i took it out and brought it down???? im just trying to get it running so i can put insurence back on it.. does anyone know if they do test on alt. that arent in the car?????

Whistler225
05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
According to the guy at my local Autozone, they can test the alternator off the car.

Have you looked at what's going to be involved in removing it? I dunno if it's the same for FI versions as it is for us with carbs, but for us it is not quite as simple as it is on most cars. You might want to read up on the forums here for how-to's on removing your alternator.

spanky
05-29-2006, 03:58 PM
ive read up on it, and it seems like a shit load of fun. damn only bad thing about the cars is alt. is so hard to reach. and get out. i read you can pull it out the bottom or top but top is a bi+ch so im prob gonna take the halfshaft out.