PDA

View Full Version : Just got a front end alignment and..

FyreDaug
05-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Well first off, yesterday I replaced both my tie rod ends and about a week before the car went slightly into a curb, and I just replaced both lower ball joints. So needless to say the alignment was slightly off... However, I just got my front end aligned and these are the specs they are at now:

FL CAMBER 0.20
Caster 0.71
Toe-0.05

FR Camber -0.16
Caster 0.46
Toe 0.04

And all of those are now well within specs (toe and casterneeded to be adjusted and they reduced the camber slightly)

But they also gave me specs for what the rear wheels are currently at

RL Camber -0.91 (close to min specs by 0.09)
Toe 0.10 (out of spec by 0.02)

RR
Camber -1.03 (over spec by 0.03)
Toe 0.18 (over by 0.1)

How can I adjust the camber and toe myself? Just slightly to get it closer to specs, I didnt know we were able to adjust camber on the cars, so how do the alignment guys do it? And also, how do you get toe on the back end?

AZmike
05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
There is no rear camber adjustment stock. The rear toe is adjusted by turning the eccentric bolt on the lower control arm. You can set the toe by carefully positioning a string down the centerline of the car and placing another string parallel to the center line on each side of the car about 12" off the ground. Use the string as a reference and the front and rear edge of the rim to set the toe.

FyreDaug
05-31-2006, 06:02 PM
And how much does it adjust each time you turn it? Because they both slightly toe out, id like to get it as close to 0 as I can

At the alignment place if I got them to do a 4wheel, how would they get the camber back to stock, or will they just say they cant?

AZmike
05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about your rear camber. A degree on the light end of the car shouldn't be a big deal as long as the toe is right. Tire wear is the final judge though. A half turn of the bolt moves one of the lower control arm about 1/4". This is a time consuming process if you're doing it yourself at home--very small adjustments are required.

They might be able to get you adjustable upper control arms. Using longer bolts and putting washers behind the upper control arm mount will also reduce your negative camber, but an alignment shop isn't likely to use that method.

FyreDaug
06-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah thats our method lawl. A half turn moves it 1/4"... that 1/4" turns into how much of a degree? If its like a 1/64 of a turn to bring it back to normal then :ugh: that sucks