PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start

AZmike
08-25-2002, 03:00 PM
On hot days when I'm running errands (several shorter trips) the engine is slow to start after a few stops. It might take several seconds or more. It doesn't sound normal while it's turning over. Like maybe it's not turning fast enough. I replaced the starter last year and all the plugs and wires are in good condition.

Any ideas? Some of my injectors are leaking a little, but I don't think that's related.

Coitis1
08-25-2002, 06:29 PM
i'm having similar problems. I've been told to check out my fuel pump relay. that's probably ur problem. Apperently in these hondas when it gets to hot the relay won't signal the fuel pump to work. Search for fuel pump relay on the board and u'll come across tons of stuff. hope that helps if any.

AZmike
08-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Thanks a lot. I was just hoping that someone had a similar problem and could point me in the right direction. I'll have to take a look.

ACCORD EX
08-26-2002, 11:53 AM
EFI + hot + bad starting = main relay ! :D

MIKE

AZmike
08-26-2002, 10:48 PM
What wears out a relay? Starting, heat, miles? I'm wondering about how reliable I could expect a salvaged relay to be. All the old Accords around here have been baking in he sun for a while and many have lots and lots of miles on them already. I'm a cheap college student right now so I'd really prefer the salvaged ($5) relay to the $65 new one. But if the new one is likely to be just as bad I probably won't bother swapping them out. I've heard that main relays can also be repaired. Has anyone tried that before?

ACCORD EX
08-27-2002, 04:03 AM
all i know the honda relays getting bad fast when hot ! i wouldn't recommend fixing it while it can mess a lot of things if you do it wrong ! and ofcourse you'll need to search the net for a data sheet so you can properly test it ! :)

MIKE

shepherd79
08-27-2002, 04:23 AM
i don't think it is your relay. if engine is turning and it is turning slow like on slow motion. i would say it is your battery. it can't hold the charge anymore and the engine drains the last juices out of it.

ACCORD EX
08-27-2002, 04:30 AM
measure your battery 's output ! 12 V when off ! and 14 V when running , 15 V when reving to 2000 or higher !

MIKE

AZmike
08-27-2002, 08:53 AM
The battery is less than 6 months old with clean terminals, but when I get a chance I'll go ahead and test it.

shepherd79
08-27-2002, 11:28 AM
the other thing is that you may have somekind load when you start the engine. i am talking about backwindow defoger and stuff like that.

AZmike
08-27-2002, 09:13 PM
I know that's not on. I never need it here. It might rain 12 times a year and never gets especailly cold. I still haven't checked the battery yet. After reading some old threads I'm leaning toward replacing the main relay with a salvaged one and going from there.

anchovies
08-27-2002, 10:03 PM
an old main relay from the yard might not be a good idea since so many of us had the same problem due to that relay
so sooner or later u'll end up with the same problem (if indeed it's the main relay)
my suggestion is to get a new one from the parts store. It's about $30
If that doesn't slow your problem, then return it and look at something else

AZmike
08-27-2002, 11:44 PM
That sounds like a good idea anchovies. I didn't know those were available from anyone but Honda but I suppose it makes sense. I'm still learning where is the best place to get what. I'm cheap so the junkyard is my default answer (except for 'wear' items: pads, filters, etc.)

Are there any hints that might save me some trouble later from those that have already switched out their relays? I've got both manuals, but it's always nice to hear what a person thought of the job before you start.

Also, there are usually no returns on electrical parts at most of the autoparts stores around here.

ACCORD EX
08-28-2002, 03:39 AM
no return on electrical things !( that's because you can ruin the thing and when you return it they won't be able to test it ! like the honda main relay for example !) don't know about U.S. !

MIKE

anchovies
08-28-2002, 12:04 PM
you might be able to test it like the manual says but the problem might not come up because it's heat related (the connections are bad)
Maybe you can test it by parking your car in the heat...actually the problem might be the ECT sensor
Okie, let me finish with the main relay 1st. Park the car outside in the sun for a while, then before you start open all doors and hood (anything to make the interior cooler), wait for a few minutes, then try to crank up (i didn't use this method, so it's not tried or guaranteed).
Search in the EFI section for the easy way to install the new one. Good read
http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa010301a.htm

Now back to your starting problem, if the engine has already been running and then you have starting problems (engine is hot), then it should be your ECT sensor (~$20-30). There was a good article about it quite some time ago, but it's gone now.

My suggestion, try the ECT sensor first (better if it's returnable)