PDA

View Full Version : help i need lots of help

hangloose
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
when am driving the cars jerks forward ,, i need to replace the timing belt but i dont know how to . the shop said 279.00 he said that there are 2 timing belts in there,,, i cant afford that ,, i got the timing belt for $ 15.. i need the car for school. its the last week of school and i cant afford to miss my finals or review. i dont know what to do,,, somebody tell me how to change the freaking belt otherwise i am a dead man.. :rant: am dead guys help me..

Kabuki
05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
There is only one timing belt. On the 4, 5, and 6G accords, there is a balancer timing belt, but not on the 3G. It' not terribly DIFFICULT, but it does take a bit of time. And I'd take back the shitty belt you bought for $15 and go get a real honda belt for $38. It's well worth the extra money for the security and longevity. You'll need a manual if you want to attempt the job yourself. And be prepared to replace the Cam seal, front crank seal, and possibly all three of the oil pump gaskets/o-rings, if they need it. Not a lot of extra cost, but some extra time invlolved.

hangloose
05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks
you think i could install it and how long.

bobafett
05-31-2006, 03:17 PM
if its your first time tearing into that part of the car, expect it to take a weekend (just to be safe)

you can get the shop manual from paul's site: http://pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

i wont bother going into how, i think there is info on the how-to section of this site...

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985

tools i can think of that you will need:
12mm wrench (racheting wrench is nice here) for timing belt tensioner
10mm wrench for alternator tensioner bolt
10mm socket for valve cover nuts and timing cover bolts
19mm impact socket w/impact wrench for crank pully bolt
extensions for the impact wrench

those are the basics, but you know that you always need 10,12,14,17,19 sockets and wrenches to work on the car. :D

crank pully and cam gear woodruff keys (in case you lose yours)
flashlight (to look into timing hole to check bottom end timing)
adjustable timing light (to verify that your on the right tooth, assuming the car runs good you are probably ok)

if you have any specific questions once you get into it, let us know... :)

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2006, 11:07 PM
when am driving the cars jerks forward ,, i need to replace the timing belt but i dont know how to . the shop said 279.00 he said that there are 2 timing belts in there,,, i cant afford that ,, i got the timing belt for $ 15.. i need the car for school. its the last week of school and i cant afford to miss my finals or review. i dont know what to do,,, somebody tell me how to change the freaking belt otherwise i am a dead man.. :rant: am dead guys help me..

Just to ask why do you think the car jerking foward and the timing belt have anything to do with each other?

I think you either have a motor problem or a drivetrain problem.

$279 does not sound like a bad price all things considering.

wp