PDA

View Full Version : Gear ratio question

Redrum17
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
We are running an 87 accord(EFI, 5 speed) in a fwd class on a 4/10 mile paved oval. Second gear seems too low but in third we are only turning around 5300rpm. I was wondering if an automatic in second gear would get us closer to what we need(around 6500) or if a prelude transmission in third gear would be a better way to go. Suggestions????

bobafett
05-31-2006, 03:20 PM
i don't know the exact ratios, but i know they are posted somewhere on the board for sure.

the gear ratios (as a generally accepted rule) go like this, from tallest to shortest:

carbed 3g accord
fuel injected 3g accord
84-87 prelude si
86-89 integra (these gears are definetly much shorter, and will fit inside an accord transmision housing, there is plenty of info on the board about using this tranny. :))

but yes the short answer is that lude 3rd SHOULD be shorter, and teg third should be even shorter still. however i have the same tranny as you, and havent used any of the other ones, so i am not speaking from personal experience.

Strugglebucket
05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
i think on the prelude si, 1st and 2nd are the same as the accord. only 3, 4, and 5 are shorter. right?

Redrum17
05-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find at the local scrap yard. The hot car in our class seems to be a mid 80s perlude. I,am not too familar with hondas yet but the engines and suspension on the lude appears to be similar to the accord but the preludes do seem like they are reving more at the end of the straight away. Thanks again.

rjudgey
06-01-2006, 02:21 AM
i have a 86-89 1st gen Integra Gearbox on my prelude and works a treat if you want to pull some serious revs, only downside is that you should try and replace the main diff bearings with better ones as they are weak at sustained high speed and while your at it do the syncros for 3rd and 4th there really cheap to buy.