PDA

View Full Version : Ecu Swap Compatability!?!?!?!

3gmodifier
05-31-2006, 06:25 PM
you guy know how the old ass preludes share the same engine as us right. well i was at the junkyard and i always see the older preludes but never payed to much attension to them. you know same mototr as us, nothing different or special right? wrong! i noticed that the spedometer goes much higher than ours. ours stops at 130mph, the prelude goes to 145mph. the redline on the tach is higher aswell. i was thinking, same exact engine, how is it faster. i figured that it cant be, and if it was, the only thing that i can think of if it is the same motor is, the ECU. so i pulled the ecu and it has the same plugs (which i figured) but the ecu itself was deffinatly different. and there were some wires that the prelude plugs had that ours dont. and visa-versa. i was thinking maybe the differance in the wires might just be different engine check light wires or something. does any one know if we can just plug the prelude ecu in and it will run better, or at all.or does any one have a wire label guide for both our cars and the prelude to compare what each wire is for. i did not buy thecu cuz i figured i would get some info first before spending money. i go to the j/y twice a week so i hid the ecu someware that i can come back to if i decide to get it. let me know what you guys think.

huh huh huh, i have an 88 3g and this is my 88th post. cool

B16KILLA
05-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow , never thought about that but it seems as if it might work. I think I'll pick one up and see if there really is a difference.

EricW
05-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure about this but the ecu may be the same as the 86-87 accord. Since the 86-87 and the 88-89 are different. The difference in speed may be related to the difference in the gears in the transmissions.

Strugglebucket
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
i think the speedo's only different because of marketing. "ooh, it's a prelude it's sportier and faster". i don't know about the redline being different, i'm pretty sure it has the same 6500-ish rev-limiter that we have.

i wouldn't use that ecu on your '88 because it's meant for 1 o2 sensor and you have 2. also it won't control your 2-stage intake manifold.

now, you could swap it into an '86-'87 lx-i and have no problem because they're essentially the same thing. there's a slim chance the prelude ecu would have slightly more aggressive fuel maps but i kind of doubt it.

ZackieDarko
05-31-2006, 08:39 PM
OBD-1 conversion > prelude ECU :-p

that would be intresting to see though more power to you if you get it to work

3gmodifier
05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
i thought it might be the gears too but it is the same engine and tranny. why would it be compatable with just 86-87 3g. because of the carb. the prelude i got it from was f.i. it was an a20a3. i might just pull it and play with it and see what happens.

B16KILLA
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
i thought it might be the gears too but it is the same engine and tranny. why would it be compatable with just 86-87 3g. because of the carb. the prelude i got it from was f.i. it was an a20a3. i might just pull it and play with it and see what happens.

Do it!:rant:

mkymonkey
05-31-2006, 11:07 PM
^

i guess thats the only way you will really find out. just pull it and try it! that would be cool though. since i have a prelude in my tow yard right now that im going to junk...i might just pull it and try it myself. but the car runs great so it would probably be a waste to just take the ecu out to try it out. anyway...if you see any gains...let us know nigga! :D

carotman
06-01-2006, 12:14 AM
This ECU will work in the Accord. The swap has been done before a few times by members here.

Acid X
06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Well.. Is there an advantage to it or what, carot? Details details! Haha.

carotman
06-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I honestly don't know. Both ECUs being PJ0 units, I doubt there is a serious gain there.

I guess the only way to know if it makes a difference is with dyno runs. I would compare the code if I had it here.

B16KILLA
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Well I guess I'll have to pick one up for the fun of it. Then we'll have a lil dyno meet and if it dosent work, oh well it was worth the try.

Cheeseburger
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
it would be cool to know whats the diff between these 2 ecu's

B16KILLA
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
it would be cool to know whats the diff between these 2 ecu's

Well, I've been wanting to go back and dyno again since I got some new mods and a b18 manifold hehe.

Cheeseburger
06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, I've been want ting to go back and dyno again since I got some new mods and a b18 manifold hehe.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Cheeseburger
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, I've been want ting to go back and dyno again since I got some new mods and a b18 manifold hehe.

ill see if we can get another dyno meet this summer.

guaynabo89
06-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I would compare the code if I had it here.

86-87 Prelude Si ecu

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/d4/69/ef_1.JPG

Hope the picture works its off an ebay auction I sold it in. If not the code on the side is

Y-1 37820-PJO-664 KA

girlcrazy_4
06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
ttt wish my car ran better or i'd find out