PDA

View Full Version : Pistons

89accorder
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont want to spend too much on my motor, and i heard that the stock block, pistons, and rods can hold about 10 psi.(stock compression???)

but, My motor has over 200k on it.

so, should i rebuild with stock rods and pistons, and get new rings and bearings?? or would i be better off getting "topline" or other similar cast aluminum pistons??

bobafett
05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
if ur trying to do a low budget turbo setup, i think that stock pistons and rods are fine, as long as you know that your not going to run huge amounts of boost and your ok with that.

as for the rebuild, i think ur on the right track, get a new oil pump, water pump, new bearings, hone the walls, get new rings, replace all the seals and gaskets, and get the head cleaned up a bit etc.

if ur not going to jump up to forged pistons and built motor, there is no reason to buy new oem style pistons, unless you need to bore the cylinder walls, and need a bigger piston to fill the hole. :D

AccordEpicenter
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
if youre going low boost the stock bottom end (or stock type rebuild) is good to at least 10-12psi boost if you tune well and have a good setup. I wouldnt lower the cr any because its only 9.3:1 to begin with if youre EFI... thats pretty low and boost friendly.

89accorder
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
well, i gotta switch to efi first, so i wanna find a cheap LXI, can i use a hatch or coupe for switchin my 4 door to FI?? I just dont know if the fuel lines are different

whats the comp ratio on a carbd block??

AccordEpicenter
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
9.1:1 i believe. A carbed motor converted to efi should work just fine if its in good shape. I hear the gas tank and lines etc are all different, id do some searching to find out exactly, ive never been an authority on carbs...

snoopyloopy
06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
you have to switch out nearly the whole fuel system for the efi swap from what i hear. if you're not the most technical savvy around, it might be easier to just buy an lx-i and put the carb block in the lx-i with the efi head. but if you find all the parts, you can probably do the efi swap in a day or two.

89accorder
06-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Ya, i understand that i will be changing a lot. tank, lines, dash harness, and more. I just figured rather than buying everything seperate, i could just get a beat up lxi for cheap. I just didnt know if i had to use a 4 door since mine is a 4 door.

89accorder
06-03-2006, 05:53 AM
ok well when i go to rebuild my motor, im scared about honing too much, because i know you need to break the glaze on the cyl walls. anyone have any tips??

bobafett
06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
machine shop :) you need to know the right size pistons to put in there too... and depending on the condition of the cyl walls, it may or may not need more than a hone...

89accorder
06-03-2006, 11:20 AM
well i figured that OE pistons would be stronger than the topline pistons, and i was just planning on rings, bearings, and the other basics to a rebuild.

I plan on just getting a car turboed soon, and i will work on a better motor and figure things out while im driving that.

sinisterfuzzy
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
what if i want to do a performance rebuild but am not on such a budget...

Kabuki
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
If you need more than a little honing, I'd say you could look in to the 83mm (versus stock 82.7mm) PK3 pistons from the 3G Lude B21A1. They are little more dished than the stock PH4 pistons. They do use a bigger wrist pin though, so you may need different rods.

bobafett
06-15-2006, 10:51 AM
hmm? maybe ls rods bolt up? the ultimate budget piston/rod combo. :)

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Youll need to use a deglazing hone/glaze breaking hone, and new rings if the pistons are good and the cylinder walls are good enough with a deglazing hone. Id do new bearings and new seals with a new oil pump as well.

87preludeA20A3
06-16-2006, 02:06 AM
the re-ring kit from topline dude, like $150... cheap...

Kabuki
06-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I can do a rering kit like that for About the same, and I can guarantee better quality gaskets and such. Bearings would be ACL, Rings would be NPR (Nippon Piston Rings).

sinisterfuzzy
06-17-2006, 05:06 PM
as for the rebuild, i think ur on the right track, get a new oil pump, water pump, new bearings, hone the walls, get new rings, replace all the seals and gaskets

where can we get that stuff? and i want to get new pistons but since i've been told .050 overbore is too much (would i get decent performance gains with a .020 overbore) so far im thinkin to pick this up http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-honda.shtml would this kit have pretty much everything i'll need i'll get the gold kit, if it's not all i need what is being left out

88Accord-DX
06-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Just to let you know, I have Top-Line rebuilt kit in my Accord.

There are a few things I recommend getting, that is OEM valve cover gasket & oil pan gasket.
Also, get one of them new design head gaskets that are metal. (just didn't know there was metal head gasket when I rebuilt my motor)

They sell them in .020, .030, & .040 sizes. Bearings & pistons can be ordered to your size. Comes with new oil pump, timing belt & all the seals you need.

I ordered a Top-Line rebuild kit from this site for $306 after shipping.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/topekits-honda2.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/RebuildkitforA20A1.jpg

Kabuki
06-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Those over sizes aren't really for performance. They are mostly for refreshing a damaged or worn engine. But the rule of thumb is to remove as little cylinder material as possible, while returning the cylinder dimensions to parallel, and such.

Also, where can one find this mystical MLS gasket of which ye speak? Honda doesn't make one, so yeah...

88Accord-DX
06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't recommend Top-Line for the performance if he is doing turbo & such, but I don't see much problem either. Aluminum piston is aluminum piston the way I see it.

I seen in another thread people talking about metal head gaskets. I never knew of them for this Accord. If anyone knows about them, speak up.

(I seen a few people & moderators talk about it on this site, so it will take me a little time to pull the thread up.)

sinisterfuzzy
06-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Those over sizes aren't really for performance. They are mostly for refreshing a damaged or worn engine.

but even so, wouldn't you still see some form of engine performance gains with a .040 overbore? this kit is on my list of upgrades, along with
KMS Stage II PnP (http://www.honda-performance.com/services-porting.asp)
Colt Tri-Flow Regrind or Delta Mild Grind
KMS Valve Train Package (http://www.honda-performance.com/valve-train.asp)

anyone have any wild guesses to what sort of performance i'd see from this? and i'm thinking about getting a little more compression, what could i do there?

gfrg88
06-18-2006, 09:10 AM
what about a piston kit for a b18???? that would bring up the CR up right?? and we would see some better gains from that :dunno: