PDA

View Full Version : Scary brakes!

maxsideburn
06-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Ok I don't know what the problem is. I have plenty of fluid in my brake resevoir, but in the last two days my brakes have suddenly been going nearly all the way to the floor and barely stopping the car, then all of a sudden they are fine again. What should I check and how?

Legend_master
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok I don't know what the problem is. I have plenty of fluid in my brake resevoir, but in the last two days my brakes have suddenly been going nearly all the way to the floor and barely stopping the car, then all of a sudden they are fine again. What should I check and how?

it sounds like your brake booster is going out. It could be the master cylinder, but I would go with the booster.

halxi
06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
might wanna check for leaks in the vacuum line as well.

Could also be air in the lines... bleed your brakes, never hurts to check... and its alot easier then bleeding a clutch

:thumbdn: to bleeding hydro clutches

reanimator420
06-02-2006, 05:54 PM
yeah bleed your breaks

sunderland
06-02-2006, 08:49 PM
My brakes were doing just what you described. Rebuilt calipers had been installed right before I bought the car. I discovered that the machined surface (about the size of a dime) where the brake line bolts to the caliper was not smooth, consequently leaking there. I had to disconnect the brake line, file the caliper surface smooth, hook up the brake line, and bleed the brakes to fix it.

AZmike
06-03-2006, 06:53 AM
If the booster was bad effort would be higher, but the brakes would still work. The pedal going to the floor indicates a hydraulic problem: air in lines, a fluid leak, or a bad master cylinder, etc.

86-accord-lxi
06-03-2006, 04:12 PM
My brakes are doing the same thing. About a month or two ago I replaced the master cylinder, booster, and flex hoses. After 10 minutes of driving the
brakes would lock up and the car would not move. I messed with the adjuster
on the booster (pushord) and they were fine for awhile, But now the pedal almost goes to the floor sometimes, especially at high speeds. Other times it feels fine. The fluid level never drops, But the fluid in the master cylinder is
looking a little dirty, Like brown dirty. The brakes are also starting to squeek,
Im pretty sure the pads need replacement. I don't get it, Why would they act
like this ? well, Didn't mean to hijack your thread max, But this brake stuff is weird.