PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing repair question-IMPORTANT!!

lostforawhile
06-04-2006, 07:32 PM
who on here has done wheel bearing repair and can answer a question for me? my bearings are shot,my balljoints are shot,I already have a set of spindles I've disassembled, my brake dust shields and wheel seals are coming from all OEM parts,my ball joints and ARP studs from Summit racing,and wheel bearings from Nappa. where does the wheel seal go? is it external or does it go in before the bearing? I believe it goes between the back of the CV axle and the back of the wheel bearing,but i'm not sure. when I took these spindles apart they were so deteriorated I couldn't tell. I'm talking about the dust seal now. I have to fix this,my wheels have worn through to the cords and have to be replaced now too.

Blkblurr
06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Did you download the shop manual? chapter 19 is what you want. I don't know what you mean by the seal.

FyreDaug
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Is it like a metal ring? Im not understanding the seal... When you put the ball joint in/out of the front hub theres that metal ring around the wheel bearing that has to come out or the bj will hit it, is that the "seal" youre talking about?

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
there is supposed to be a dust seal that fits in the back side of the bearing somehow,i'm not talking about the hub or anything,just couldn't find anything in my shop manuals anywhere. it's sold online as wheel seal. this will ride so much better with new balljoints,wheel bearings,etc. they just wore out. everything is ordered and i'm just waiting for parts. four good used Dunlop tires mounted and balanced for eighty bucks. al I need to do after this is put new bushings in the lower control arms,and put in the low milage struts and springs I found. the lower arm bushings aren't that bad but it won't hurt to put in new ones.

EricW
06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
The only thing i can think of is the little metal ring behind the bearing that i had to pop of with a screw driver when i was pressing out the bearings. I just reused the old ones since they fit back in nice and tight.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_j08.gif
Is part #2 the one you are looking for? Seems like it should go into the knuckle behind the bearing. Hope this helps.

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
thats exactly what I needed to know,thanks. got the spindles all beadblasted and painted in about 6 coats of epoxy primer tonight. will paint them black tomorrow. now if my parts would hurry and get here. :cheers:

Blkblurr
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
thats exactly what I needed to know,thanks. got the spindles all beadblasted and painted in about 6 coats of epoxy primer tonight. will paint them black tomorrow. now if my parts would hurry and get here. :cheers:

You know that illustration is available in the shop manual you can download here in the sticky section. It's chapter 19

lostforawhile
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
well I have service manuals but it isn't in any of them. that illistration tells me what i needed to know.