PDA

View Full Version : Broken Lug Nut Stud Replacement ???

gorilla
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
my 89 lx 4dr now has a broken lug nut on the left front wheel hub.

ever shop that i went to today claims i need to replace the hub bearing, then the stud can be replaced.

whats up with that ???

can't the stud be installed without removing the whole bearing-hub assembly ???

help

gorilla

EricW
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
No.

You may as well replace the bearing since its cheap any way, and i would replace all the studs instead of just the one.

spanky
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
i've replaced many (5) too many i think. yes you can. there are a couple ways of doing it.

1st: you can hack off the back of the lugnut to get it out easier, and when your replacing one just use a 5-10 lbs sleg hammer and wham at it from the back by your dust sheld. then to get it into place you can put a lug nut on (you must have some threads coming through the hub side. then you use a pry bar and pry on the lug nut to get it further into place. then you install the wheel and it will press it self in.

2: instead of hacking off the back of the lug nut, you can take a punch and put it through the rotor (NOTE: u might have to put the rotor back on b/c if your aim if off you might hit your hand on the punch) so basicaly your using the rotor as a guide and use the 1st step to reinstall them.

some people are prob gonna say you shouldnt do this because honda wants you to press the lugs in. but ive done it to 5 lugs and their in there.

best of luck spanky...

88Accord-DX
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
With any wheel stud on a car, if you have room to remove it from the back by knocking it out with a hammer.

Then you can re-place it. The trick to re-place a stud is to suck it up in hole to hold it in there. Use some over-sized nuts & the lug nut for that.

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't know how you got the front one off without damaging something,but honda says you need to remove the bearing,it's a trapped stud,a lot of front wheel drive cars are like this. there is no clearance on the front to take the lug out. the rears are easy,you just take the brake drum off. if you knew how expensive and hard to replace these spindle parts are,you wouldn't be prying anything. I need to do the same thing,but i was going to rebuild the front spindles anyway. I have a spare set ready for parts. Summit racing sells arp studs for our cars in sets of four, for the trouble to replace them,use the best studs you can get. also when you get a tire changed,if it looks like a bunch of gorillas running around with impact wrenches,go somewhere else. a good tire place will torque your lugs by hand,not tighten them with the same impact wrench they use for semi tires.

gorilla
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
it was walmart that did the mounting + balancing of my street tires.

i can run studded tires up here in the pacific northwest until april.

they claim that they torque the lug nuts to 80 lbs, but i watched, and they did use the impact to snug them up. then used a touque wrench to make it look right.

i dropped it off monday at walmart, and the manager said he would take care of it.
i gave him a lug stud from a rear hub i have from the 87 dx 4dr i just parted out.

i have a lot of extra parts off of that car.
do people really buy parts off this site ???

is it worth the effort to post a link here ???

thanks

gorilla

lostforawhile
06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I would never take a car to Wally World,especially a 20 year old vintage car, they can't even change oil right,I had a friend who got his oil changed here,he got a couple of miles down the street,and the oil plug fell out.:rant:

forrest89sei
06-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Yes, I buy stuff here all the time.

since you've never sold anything here before heres the link:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

if you are selling stuff, I'm looking for a Gold Trunk Lid, Tail Lights, Brown interior items, etc

gorilla
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
i got lucky. the tech at walmart showed me how to remove the hub shaft without damaging the bearing.

we use a large socket with a 6" ext, and lightly hammered the shaft down through what looks like a seal (inside motor side), and it came right out.
i quess if the bearing falls apart, your screwed.
mine stayed together.

it was soo easy, i should of known.

thanks for all the wisdom from all the 3geezer's that posted reply's to my question !!!

gorilla

lostforawhile
06-08-2006, 02:49 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52746 ,also if the center of the bearing comes apart,it's really hard to get out because of the way it sits in the hub. I have a solution,but i'll have to post a picture of that later tonight when I have time,G.T.G.T.W. :cheers:

lostforawhile
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
has anyone tried to pull the hub off with a three jaw puller? after removing the spindle nut? I need those mud shields and I thought of removing a couple of hubs at the junkyard with a big puller

EricW
06-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Instead of that i would just use a 90 degree screw driver to take the three screws out and cut the mud shield and pull it off and rejoin it later if you wanted either by welding or jb weld.

lostforawhile
06-13-2006, 05:27 PM
thats an idea,I could just spot weld it back together,I was thinking with the spindle in place at the JY,the center of the cv axle would be a solid place for the puller to turn against,I've heard you can knock those hubs out with a big socket and a screw driver,I'll try the puller first,if that doesn't work i'll cut it. I have one of those huge three jaw pullers, it probably would pull this hub off pretty easy.

88Accord-DX
06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Instead of that i would just use a 90 degree screw driver to take the three screws out and cut the mud shield and pull it off and rejoin it later if you wanted either by welding or jb weld.
I've used them 90 degree scewdrivers on some screws. (had some troubles)

He is a trick with stubborn screws. Use a long flat headed screw driver to pry on the 90 degree screwdriver to have enough force to turn the screw. Don't want to strip out the top of the screw....

chainz
06-13-2006, 07:00 PM
it was walmart that did the mounting + balancing of my street tires.
i can run studded tires up here in the pacific northwest until april.
they claim that they torque the lug nuts to 80 lbs, but i watched, and they did use the impact to snug them up. then used a touque wrench to make it look right.
i dropped it off monday at walmart, and the manager said he would take care of it.
i gave him a lug stud from a rear hub i have from the 87 dx 4dr i just parted out.
is it worth the effort to post a link here ???
thanks
gorilla

ewwww I wouldn't let WalMart touch my worst enemy's car. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Same for the 15 minute quick-scam oil change places. When I was in college I had a 94 Accord that my dad took to get the oil changed at one of those places. I came home and the valve sounded like a freight train; checked the oil and it was thinner than watter and looked like sewage.
But what do you expect? How do you make money doing 15 minute oil changes for like $15... drain old oil out - put it back in.

masterjohnson
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I dont wanna create a new thread because i am just new in here and i did not make yet any introductions. i was a little bit disappointed when i took my honda over to Mr. Stealership repair and they called me saying one of the honda accord lug nuts (http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/honda-accord/wheel-lug-nuts/) was stuck and he said it probably would break, but they could fix it for $75ish.

He called back a half hour later saying that it did break but he didn't know it was one of the rear lug nuts. He went on saying they would have to take off the rear end, open up the axle and the bearings, push out the rod, repack the bearings, and put the axle on the truck. Which is A LOT of money at an hourly rate. I told them to just get the tire on and balance them, I'd have to get a second opinion about the stud.

Is he right? Is it a really difficult job to press out the studs from the rear axle?

An $80 mount and balance just ended up costing me several hundred dollars.

ghettogeddy
01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
i dont wanna create a new thread because i am just new in here and i did not make yet any introductions. I was a little bit disappointed when i took my honda over to mr. Stealership repair and they called me saying one of the lug nuts was stuck and he said it probably would break, but they could fix it for $75ish.

He called back a half hour later saying that it did break but he didn't know it was one of the rear lug nuts. He went on saying they would have to take off the rear end, open up the axle and the bearings, push out the rod, repack the bearings, and put the axle on the truck. Which is a lot of money at an hourly rate. I told them to just get the tire on and balance them, i'd have to get a second opinion about the stud.

Is he right? Is it a really difficult job to press out the studs from the rear axle?

An $80 mount and balance just ended up costing me several hundred dollars.
hell no lol

masterjohnson
01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
hell no lol

alright! very dissapointing :madflip::rocket:

rustlude87
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Ya thats not good get to know the service writers that usuallly helps :omg:

firefighterwhite89
01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I would never take a car to Wally World,especially a 20 year old vintage car, they can't even change oil right,I had a friend who got his oil changed here,he got a couple of miles down the street,and the oil plug fell out.:rant:

They replaced my friends oil before, and unplugged his MAF sensor, forgot it, and he had to have it towed from wal-mart, as they're too stupid to find an unplugged plug, and wouldn't allow him in the shop. Wal-mart, i wouldn't let touch my car. IDevenK if they're literally ASE trained to even tinker with vehicles other than a brief crash course maybe?