PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights Don't Go Out

sfcmikej
06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey All
This morning I had to jump start the car and then again on the way home from work. Figured the battery was going dead but since it was later in the day, and starting to get dark, I noticed the brake lights. They will not go out even after the car is shut off.
I pulled up on the brake pedal but that did nothing. Pulled the fuse for tonight but I really need to find out what is wrong.
1986 Honda Accord LXi. 240,000 miles

Thanks

Mike

conozo
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
It sounds like the brake light switch is stuck. Its a push button switch that the brake pedal itself hits to turn on the lights. The brake lights will turn turn on even if the car isnt on, thats normal. You can get those switches at your local auto store and a temporary fix (if its stuck) could be to spray some WD-40 on it and manually move it in and out to loosen it up.

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
It sounds like the brake light switch is stuck. Its a push button switch that the brake pedal itself hits to turn on the lights. The brake lights will turn turn on even if the car isnt on, thats normal. You can get those switches at your local auto store and a temporary fix (if its stuck) could be to spray some WD-40 on it and manually move it in and out to loosen it up.you need to do search,I did a thread on this,actually a sticky,there is a little plastic button on the brake arm,this pushes on the switch and causes it to turn the lights off. these little plastic buttons get old and break from age. I'll see if i can find the thread,I even had pictures on there

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
here you go........http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889&highlight=brake+lights+stuck+on+sticky

conozo
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
or its that too

hah

stereo
06-05-2006, 09:16 PM
check the brake light switch.

lostforawhile
06-05-2006, 09:29 PM
here you go........http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889&highlight=brake+lights+stuck+on+stickyBUMP!!! AHEM!!COUGH COUGH:slap:

sfcmikej
06-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks Guys

Thanks for the link lostforawhile. It was late when I posted so I didn't look back til this morning. I'll check it out today and let ya'll know.
Mike

maxsideburn
06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
heh, I remember in my Prelude I had to tape a stack of nickels to the area of the brake pedal that used to contact the switch, it had broken off, lol. It worked forever though.