PDA

View Full Version : Tune up?

steve97601
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Hello all my first post! I have a question I have a 1988 accord 2.0 carb 5spd. (155000 miles) Under acceleration and crusing the engine seems to surge a little, not real bad but you can tell, any ideas? It might be related but when I listen to the muffler sounds like there might be a little miss. I am going to change the plugs and wires, anymore ideas would be great. thanks

Oldblueaccord
06-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Plugs wires cap rotor are all good places to start.

Some of the surging at cruise throttle might be the vacuum advances in the distributor. Around 55 mph the come in and out alot.

Also search the carb section there alot there to look thru as well.

As long as your MPG is ok your prolly ok right now.

wp

Kabuki
06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Only replace the wires if they are damaged and causing misfires. Also, only replace them with good quality units like OE Honda (Sumitomo), NGK, or Magnacore. Don't buy the crappy carbon film wires you get from most companies (including Bosch and ALL HOUSE BRANDS). NGK or Denso Plugs are really the best plugs, and the underhood sticker will tell you which model to use (should be NGK number BPR5EY-11). Unfortunately, there are two DIFFERENT distributors that you may have. One by Hitachi, and one by TEC (has the igniter bolted to the outside of the housing). Do make sure you get the proper cap and rotor.