PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problem?

FyreDaug
06-09-2006, 06:57 AM
As some of you know I run dual stock ignitions on my car, which allows me to have a much greater gap on the plugs... And since it was running good before, while I was changing my alt belt I regapped the plugs again, this time 0.012 larger... so I think im at 0.086 now iirc... Which is quite large, I think stock should 0.040 or something... But now (just noticed this 2 days ago, changed belt 5 days ago) under 2000rpm if the car isnt totally warm (and rare occasions when it is warm too) itll stutter if I open up the throttle too much, but normal acceleration works fine, and anything above 2000 it doesnt matter, it could WOT for all it cares.

Theres also like a sweet spot in the throttle, where if I hold it there, the car does nothing, it seems as though it died, but I let off the gas, or give it a little more and it stutters and keeps going again.

Its probably gap related, and I just need to regap them, but its raining right now, so I figure ill collect ideas first.

shepherd79
06-09-2006, 07:49 AM
check your distributor cap and button.

Kabuki
06-09-2006, 11:11 AM
So, how exactly do you have this set up with dual coils?

FyreDaug
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
2 coils wired in parallel to the dizzy cap, doubles amperage... but apparantly not enough in this case... godamn rain, ill have to check tomorrow, it better clear up... plus im sick.... the dizzy "button" no longer exists, when I hooked up both coils I had to modify the dizzy cap a little. I had to bore out the hole a little and put a different contact in there because the little springy thing that makes it a "button" couldnt handle the current and burned up... but maybe after 14000km that contact I put in is starting to fail