PDA

View Full Version : my jdm b20a turbo install (round 1)

mykwikcoupe
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Well as Id hope everyone knows Ive got just about everything and I figure what the hell, time to install it. Im collecting the last of the turbo project design 3 stuff so Im just going to install me original autocross setup with a modded turbo(thanks accordepicenter).

Anyway its going to be a stock gold top jdm b20a, b16 intake manifold match ported and a decent street port job. Im going lightweight flywheel, aftermarket pulleys, probably the 94 teg setup twoloudandproud is running).

For turbo, its a 42/48 chrysler T3 from a daytona, rebuilt. Originally it was an internal gated turbo but those dont sound cool enough so i had it converted to external. Im having it converted to a 48/60 as we speak so Im hoping that will put somewthing down worth while

For tuning, had originally bought the SAFC but decided the hack wasnt for me. Its still new in box and will never get used by me. I went from there to an original jdm b20a manual tranny ecu and was going to run this with crome or turbo edit but I waslater informed this isnt feasable. Instead Ive got a 93 teg dizzy with an internal coil delete msd cap and blaster 2 coil. Im going to run uberdata with an eprom and emulator so i can real time tune and datalog.

Pipes will be 2.5 inch for the charge pipes and the exhuast will be 3 inch as Ive also got a full drag setup also.

Im thinking I can hopefully run a small duty cycle on a set of precision injectors and run a set of 660s or 880s as my final drag setup will be abouts 375-400 hp.

So basically heres the issues,
can I run a larger injector of my size in a lower rage and if so to what extent before it no longer operates effectivly?

Should i paint, polish or make aestetically pleasing before or just bag it?

Should i run polished stainless pipes everywhere?

all that Ive got left to do is wire in all the turbo control stuff, boost controller, gauges and such. i need to finish my 5 speed swap. ive got about an hour left on that. i need to have the piping made which is, well about a days work at a shop.

Ill have to order a few more parts, pulleys, flywheel, injectors and install all the crap it takes to make these things work. With work permitting hopefully Ill have enough time by the end of the summer to complete the short list

snoopyloopy
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
sounds good. i wish i had the money and resources to get a b20a into my car. good luck with your build, it sounds like a pretty decent set-up. should be just as good as a 4g63t if not better. it's just too bad honda didn't really put turbos in their cars like everyone else did.

3gn86lxi
06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
:thumbup: Bout time Mike.........
You need to just quit working again, and get the shit done.
Hows the family??? And health???

mykwikcoupe
06-11-2006, 04:12 PM
oh familys good, daughter turning 2 july 29, you should bring the family over, free food and drinks and lots of fun hopefully. health is ok, Ive had a few lapses here and there but not as bad as it was before.

anyway yeah hit me up on aim or send me a link to yahoo and ill join that also. Lets chat yo

thegreatdane
06-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Should i paint, polish or make aestetically pleasing before or just bag it?
Should i run polished stainless pipes everywhere?

well, I know I would unless it was only something temporary :)

The Uberdata interface and feature list sucks balls. I dont know about functionality since those things has kept me away from using it, and Uberdata seems dead anyway. Use Crome PRO instead.

About injectors you should read up on it on pgmfi but unless your going to put those injectors in a stock engine i'd think it be possible.

mykwikcoupe
06-13-2006, 11:53 AM
what the difference between chrome and uberdata, same swap just diffreent rom program installed on the ecu?

thegreatdane
06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
different program used to create/tune the rom for the ecu

speedpenguin
06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Wow, I'm excited!
Post plenty of pics!

carotman
06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Hmm I would polish everything if it's going to be permanent like thegreatdane said.

mykwikcoupe
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
ok so with crome pro, can I use the p06 ecu ive got now that I ad chipped for uberdata, add a emulator or moates or whatever that chip replacment thing is to datalog and real time tune and use the same ecu or do i have to get another one. The one I have has a usb cable coming out for datalogging already.
How about a quick rundown of what i need and what works best

thegreatdane
06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
I have the P06 ecu myself, only difference is that I had it converted to control vtec (just in case) so mine is actually a P28 but your P06 will work fine.
And you have datalogging and preparation of the ecu covered, so all you need is:

Emulator I use the Ostrich from moates.net, works great but was delivered with a faulty data cable wich caused me a bit of headache to figure out
OBD0-1 conversion harness Boomslang makes one for us even though they dont list it, that's what I have and I was very pleased with the quality.
Wideband I use the Innovate LM1 kit, only downside is that the unit is a bit bulky and unhandy so if you want a permanent WB installation I'd probably look into the LC-1 instead with a gauge.
Crome Pro download the free version and click register, i believe it's $150.
Laptop you dont want it to be awfully slow, otherwise your datalogging speeds will suffer.
6k resistor use it to modify your vss signal to obd1

mykwikcoupe
06-15-2006, 06:43 AM
cool, Ive got the obd1 conversion harness already. What maps did you use. Is there one for b20a running roughly 12-15 psi on a t3 48/60. any issues you have yet? Wiring and such? Can it do a full throttle launch, does it have a boost reference for an optional nitrous setup. Im running a msd 6al, should I upgrade to the btm? Thanks man

thegreatdane
06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
cool, Ive got the obd1 conversion harness already. What maps did you use. Is there one for b20a running roughly 12-15 psi on a t3 48/60. any issues you have yet? Wiring and such? Can it do a full throttle launch, does it have a boost reference for an optional nitrous setup. Im running a msd 6al, should I upgrade to the btm? Thanks man

There isnt any suited maps for the B20A really. As far as I know, RobT is the only one besides me who's previously had true engine management on a B20A and he has the AEM so...
There might be 3rd gen lude people on preludepower that have some different maps but I havent seen any yet.
I'm still working on getting a decent tune for a stock B20A engine but I'm having some troubles with the dyno I'm using so my ignition map suck...

Only issue that I have is the VSS, because I dont have cruise control in my accord and therefore not the vss output I need.

Yea you can set it up for full throttle launch and full throttle shift but I havent tried it out myself yet because I need to install a clutch switch first.

I believe they're working on something with that nitrous thing, they might already have something made up, I'm not sure.

As far as the MSD go I have no idea, I dont use any of that enginebay clutter stuff :)

mykwikcoupe
09-09-2006, 08:08 AM
ok well installs been really slow actually. way toomuch work. I did however get a few maore parts(as if I need any more of them). I picked up a quaife b16 lsd. new in box for 730 shipped. Yeah me.

Just for grins im coparing my brothers b18 blown tranny to my b20a just to see if honda might of used the same theory of all non-tecs swap and all vtecs swap. Ive got my fingers crossed here. I picked up unorthodox 94 teg pulleys same as twoloudandprouds. Im waiting on my fidanza 8lb flywheel to show up. Im in the process of locating the little hoses for the b20a specifically.

Aside from this i only get about 2 hours a week to myself right now so its been really slow. As long as it keeps moving im happy though. My goal is getting harder to reach though. Dang large diplacment domestics